Scenery.cfg corrupt?

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
charlesallsop

Scenery.cfg corrupt?

Post by charlesallsop »

Hi All, I have been experiencing a recurring problem, all works fine and then suddenly wont load past the splash screen. After some research on utube I found that moving the scenery.cfg file out of the folder allows it to load but without add on scenery.I then had to load all the scenery. After this happened a few times I made a copy of the scenery.cfg file and now when it happens I simply replace it back into the folder and it works again -until the next time! Any idea as to why this is happening?
shermank

Re: Scenery.cfg corrupt?

Post by shermank »

When you disable an existing scenery.cfg, P3D simply rebuilds your default scenery. It does NOT include any add on scenery. For that, you will have to reinstall any add ons. You can do that from within the sim library section. Or use the very popular Lorby Add On Organizer. It is freeware and can be found here

http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

scroll down for the download link. Be sure to download and read the documentation, so you understand how to use the tool. The best thing about this is that it allows you to install add on scenery as xml files within the documents/P3D Addon folder. You can also manipulate the order of scenery layering. And, if you prefer not to use the xml method, you can simply install directly into P3D as you would normally install any scenery as bgl.files.

There is a learning curve, but this is an excellent freeware tool.

To recap,
First rename your existing scenery.cfg to scenery.cfgold. Then boot up P3D which will build the default scenery. You can install addons through the p3d library, or use the Lorby tool, and install as xml add on files.

There is a learning curve, but people here, as well as other flight sim forums will help.

Sherm
downscc

Post by downscc »

charlesallsop wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:30 am Hi All, I have been experiencing a recurring problem, all works fine and then suddenly wont load past the splash screen. After some research on utube I found that moving the scenery.cfg file out of the folder allows it to load but without add on scenery.I then had to load all the scenery. After this happened a few times I made a copy of the scenery.cfg file and now when it happens I simply replace it back into the folder and it works again -until the next time! Any idea as to why this is happening?
My first suspect would be an addon that is added by the scenery.cfg rather than the scenery.cfg file itself, which is just a configuration text file and format errors in the text will create error messages. Unfortunately, if there is a problem in an addon it doesn't make any difference how it is added. Best to try to figure out which addon is the problem.
Dan Downs
KCRP
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Please note that formatting errors in all the .cfg files will be introduced if you try to edit them with a word processor.

Use an editor like Notepad.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
charlesallsop

Post by charlesallsop »

Hi All yes it was a add on scenery causing the problem! I will try and get to grips with the Lorbi software for future reference.
Thanks!!