Incorrect time zone for Indiana when observing DST

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
bills511

Incorrect time zone for Indiana when observing DST

Postby bills511 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Yesterday I loaded up the sim at around sunset (my local time) and noticed right away something was wrong. The sim is set to load at system time. The Time and Season setting was showing the time of day as night when it should have said dusk. My location is Indianapolis. The sunsets at around 7:50 PM. Using the time preview slider I went back one hour and that's when the sun set in sim at 6:50 PM. It should have set at 7:50 PM.

When I switch to Louisville which is within the same longitude as Indianapolis the sunrise-sunset times are correct.
In Kentucky; Louisville is on EDT and Paducah is on CDT which is reflected in sim correctly.

The problem with Indiana before 2006, most of Indiana did not observe daylight saving time (DST).

I believe the issue is due to Microsoft never updating the world time zones which has carried over to P3D.

So my question is will the time zone .bgl's be corrected for Indiana? In other words be changed over from Central Time Zone to Eastern Time Zone?

Set at Indianapolis 3/15/2019 after changing to DST. Dusk is 1 hour too early.

Louisville 3/15/2019. Dusk is correct.

Indianapolis before changing to DST. Dusk is correct.

downscc

Re: Incorrect time zone for Indiana when observing DST

Postby downscc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:45 pm

I do not rely on LM to keep the timezone definitions up to date. So, as is the case with scenery and airplanes, if you want something of quality and accuracy then you have to go to a third party. I use SimElite Time Zone Fixer, it's inexpensive and they have an installer that provides easy updates about twice a year (yeah, time zones change that much).

I forgot to add that you need to make sure your default scenario is in your time zone.
Dan Downs
KCRP

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Another is FS Real Time.
I have used it for many years without problems.

http://www.3dsoftworks.net/products/fsrealtime/
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

bills511

Postby bills511 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 pm

I do not rely on LM to keep the timezone definitions up to date. So, as is the case with scenery and airplanes, if you want something of quality and accuracy then you have to go to a third party. I use SimElite Time Zone Fixer, it's inexpensive and they have an installer that provides easy updates about twice a year (yeah, time zones change that much).

I forgot to add that you need to make sure your default scenario is in your time zone.
Posted this issue to LM because of Indiana never being in correct time zone since FSX.
I use SimElite time zone fixer but the most recent SETZF database (1.4.1_beta2) had an error that put Indiana in wrong time zone. Posted over at https://simelite.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... c4b66dc2dd
Now updated to 1.4.1_beta3 and working.

Return to “Other Support Questions”