terrain.dll causing CTD

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
DVA12924

terrain.dll causing CTD

Postby DVA12924 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:11 am

I updated to P3D4.4 and updated all the add-ons that had updates. I was able to do 1 flight from KDTW-KJFT in Aerosfot CRJ900 without issues, but now I have tried 3 times to do a KJFK-OERK flight in the PMDG 747-400 and each of the 3 times somewhere over Europe P3D will become unresponsive with Windows Event Viewer giving terrain.dll as the fault. The message is below:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.4.16.27077, time stamp: 0x5bfdbb35
Faulting module name: terrain.dll, version: 4.4.16.27077, time stamp: 0x5bfdbaa6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000e316f
Faulting process id: 0x251c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4c958dddeaf6f
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Steven\Desktop\P3Dv43\P3Dv43 MAIN INSTALL\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Steven\Desktop\P3Dv43\P3Dv43 MAIN INSTALL\terrain.dll
Report Id: f6c8d6f4-3593-11e9-b060-d43d7e4c88bd

The 1st time was right after coming over the western Ireland coast, the 2nd time was just south of London, and the 3rd time was over the boarder of Austria and Hungary. Needless to say, to get that far takes 5+ hours and for that entire time, there are no problems at all and everything runs great. But I can't make it past Europe without Terrain.dll causing a CTD.

I do have ORBX Global Base pack, ORBX Global Vector, and ORBX Libraries installed and updated. Here is a screenshot of how they are listed in priority for P3D: http://prntscr.com/mnzsr9 http://prntscr.com/mnzsx9 and I am not sure if somehow they are causing the conflict of not. Since I don't know if this is an error that comes up quickly over europe, or if I need to fly for many hours then go over Europe for it to be an issue, I can't say that uninstalling ORBX and trying the flight would or would not work. I don't have 26 hours available to test that.

I have already tried deleting the common files and letting P3D recreate them. I didn't have any of these issues in 4.3 and again, if it has an update, its been installed. 3 hour flight over North America was fine. Takeoff from KJFK and all the way over Northern Atlantic is fine but once I get into Europe, there are issues.

DVA12924

Re: terrain.dll causing CTD

Postby DVA12924 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:36 am

I deleted and reinstalled all ORBX add-ons using the guide https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/137 ... nt-1267421

I forced migration for all ORBX add-ons and then relaunched the sim and set up a flight plan from Galway Ireland to Bucharest Romania and back to Galway and left it going in the PMDG 747-400 at FL350 while I went to work. Just got home and it never made it over England before Terrain.dll caused P3D4.4 to become unresponsive (somewhere around EGUN or EGUW).

At this point, I don't feel it is a ORBX issue because I've ensured all the files were correctly installed and everything displays as it should as far as ground textures go. The only adjustments I made to the P3D settings after deleting regeneration files was to remove the pause on task check and to set cloud draw distance to maximum per ActiveSky. All other settings were left as default.

I ran the test using everything I would normally use to fly (ActiveSky, Aircraft, ProATCX, ChasePlane with the exception of Delta VA ACARS because this isn't a valid flight) to see if the reinstall and forced migration of ORBX along with deleting regeneration files worked, but it did not. This is clearly an issue over Europe and not a timing issue. The sim couldn't have been going more than 30 minutes after I left for work because it made it from Galway Ireland to about 25NM west of the eastern coast of England before it crashed. In the flight I was trying to do when the problem presented itself, i was able to fly from KJFK all the way to Europe without any issues.

Can ANYONE help me understand whats causing this issue? It is always flagged as Terrain.dll as the fault in Windows Event Viewer.

I would really like to enjoy this new update of the $200 simulator I have but I can't if more than half the world in unflyable :(

wanthuyr

Postby wanthuyr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:03 am

Did you have any success resolving this? I'm also getting consistent CTDs when flying in the middle of Europe. Same thing, Event Viewer says TERRAIN.DLL
Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

DVA12924

Postby DVA12924 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:32 pm

I hardly remember what flight I did last week, let alone a CTD from a year and a half ago. Sorry mate! I know I haven't been having them for a long time now and I've upgraded all my hardware. May have been an ORBX issue, but i don''t know.

Matty21

Postby Matty21 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Terrain.dll shouldn’t happen all the time should be a one off event

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:03 pm

If you look at the original error report, it had this in it:

Exception code: 0xc0000005

This is a sign of an application writing to an area of memory where it has no right to write - a really really Bad Thing™, and an absolute no-no.

This issue is usually caused by an incompatible or badly programmed add-on, and, for some reason which escapes me at the moment, is seen pretty often these days.... ;-)

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Return to “Other Support Questions”