VAS Memroy

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
constable

VAS Memroy

Post by constable »

I would like to know why Lockheed Martin can make such a fine program but cannot program the scenery to empty it's cache
memory after a certain section of scenery to keep from running out of cache memory on long flights. You have to quit and save the flight and then load it back up to finish the flight.
cookedinlh

Re: VAS Memroy

Post by cookedinlh »

I'm getting "out of memory" after some extended flights . . and P3D closes . . . but when I check the system it was only 8gigs of 16 installed (50%) . . it says close some things and restart? . .is there some memory setting within P3D that you need to set when you have more than 8gigs or is this different than your problem.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"I'm getting "out of memory" after some extended flights . . and P3D closes . . . but when I check the system it was only 8gigs of 16 installed (50%)"

That is not all VAS.
VAS is 4GB of the total memory?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
markiannarelli

Post by markiannarelli »

I actually think there is a memory leak in Prepar3d v3.4. I only ever got OOMS on long flights but since V3.4 I am getting an awful lot more.

I have done a couple tests and what I have found is that even when I just run Prepar3d v3.4, select an add on aircraft and position this aircraft at an add on airport's active runway and just leave it there. With no other add on active, no weather engine, ATC add-on or anything. The VAS just seeps away and after a few hours will OOM. If the aircraft is going nowhere then it cannot be the loading other large scenery areas that is using up the VAS.

Hope Lockheed Martin are investigating this, I have seen other posts blaming latest NVIDIA driver for memory leak but I have tried both an old driver I used before v3.4 and the latest driver and the leaking VAS occurred with both drivers.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Did you test with a default P3D installation before addons?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
markiannarelli

Post by markiannarelli »

No I did not test this on a default P3D installation I tend to just update P3D client on minor upgrades.

I did a couple of further tests though using the same add on aircraft but a different airport add on and the unexplained loss of VAS did happen but at a slower rate.

Final test I did was default F22 Raptor and default Airport and on loading it was showing 2.2 available VAS and after about 6 hours this was down to 1.8.

I guess OOMS are something we are just going to have to live with at least in the short to mid-term time frame