UNHAPPY - THIS DEVICE (NVIDIA GEFORCE) STOPPED WORKING FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
enzoaugusto

UNHAPPY - THIS DEVICE (NVIDIA GEFORCE) STOPPED WORKING FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Postby enzoaugusto » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:42 am

Good night everyone, as well as many I have this problem, mainly in VR, I enter VR mode and when I leave the message appears, just like many I am a fan of Prepar3D since version 3, I came from the Flight Simulator platform (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 95, 98, 2000, 2004, FSX and FSX-Steam), I see several posts but no definitive solution, I tried everything, but without success, this problem started with me on P3Dv5, version 4 ( all) I had no problems in VR anyway ...
Come on my outburst, I am very disappointed with Lockheed Martin, I do not see a statement to its customers, a satisfaction, we pay for a product that is defective and nothing is solved, we have to spend hours, days looking for alternative sites, forums because creator of the simulator does not pay attention to the problem, we have no obligation to keep jumping from site to site after a solution, it is Lockheed Martin's obligation to give support but it seems that nobody in the company is interested in that, sad.
Obs. Sorry for any spelling mistakes in my English, because I am not fluent in the language.

My Simulator:

Prepar3D v5.1 Hotfix 1 (5.1.12.26829), cleaned without any Addon´s (for testing)

My Hardware:
- Operating system: Windows 10 20H2 (build 19042.685) and all updated drivers (video, sound, chipset, sata, accessories ...)
- Source: Cosair CX750 Bronze
- Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Formula
- RAM Memory: Kingston Hyper X Predator 32GB 3.200Mhz
- Processor: Intel 8th generation I7-8086K 4.00 GHz / 5.00 GHz
- Fan Cooler: Cool Master Hyper 212X
- Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 TI 8gb Strix Gaming Advanced OC
- SSD 1: Kingston 240gb (Master "C:")
- SSD 2: Kingston 480gb (Only Prepar3D and Add´s "D:")
- Hard Disk: Seagate 2TB ("E:" Backups)
- Monitor: Philips 272G, 27 "/ 144Hz / 1ms Full HD with technology GSYNC (Nvidia)", Full HD, 144Hz, 1ms
- Headset: CoolerMaster Hyper X Cloud II

My Cockpit:

- Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System
- Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
- Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
- Virtual Avionics MCP737-R (Mode Control Panel)
- Oculus Rift S
Enzo Augusto
Enzo Augusto

JorgenSA

Re: UNHAPPY - THIS DEVICE (NVIDIA GEFORCE) STOPPED WORKING FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Postby JorgenSA » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 am

Enzo,

This topic has been discussed in many, many threads in this forum. I will try to sum up at least some of the things that has fixed this issue for various users.

1. You mention your graphics card is this: "Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 TI 8gb Strix Gaming Advanced OC" - does "OC" mean the card is overclocked by Asus, compared to nVidia's clock rate? Running overclocked cards at nVidia's standard rates is one solution.

2. In the sim, under Options/World, make sure that the boxes "Enable Bathymetry" and "Enhanced Atmospherics" are unchecked.

3. If the problem still persists, try, in your prepar3d.cfg file, under [USERINTERFACE] to set UIHardwareAcceleration to "False".

There might be other fixes that escape my memory. All of these have been found by users.

L-M is aware of this issue, which has to do with VRAM management, and this is something that is being worked upon.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

enzoaugusto

Re: UNHAPPY - THIS DEVICE (NVIDIA GEFORCE) STOPPED WORKING FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Postby enzoaugusto » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:56 pm

Good morning friend Jorgen, thanks for your attention, come on:

1-The "OC" is really a standard overclock from the manufacturer (Asus), how can I use overclocked cards at the standard rates of nVidia? The only change I make to the Nvidia control panel is to put power at peak performance.

2- In P3Dv5.1 the boxes "Enable Bathymetry" and "Enhanced Atmospherics" are unchecked.

3. I will change the file prepar3d.cfg, in [USERINTERFACE] to set UIHardwareAcceleration to "False"

Obs. I hope that LM really solves it because I didn't see any formal news about it giving any definitive support.

I'll test it and let you know the result and thank you again
Enzo Augusto

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:17 pm

Enzo,

For removing the overclock you might want to try Asus Tech support.

And for "I didn't see any formal news" - not too long ago Beau Hollis from L-M said in a forum post that this was being worked upon.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:30 pm

There is a Windows registry change that can be made to reduce or eliminate these errors. Elimination of the error may require you to reduce your graphics settings as well. IMHO this is more of a work around than a fix. Anyway, there's a good youtube video explaining how to do this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvcHIsabh3s.

For me, since I'm on a lowly 970 card, I needed to take it one step further and deactivated TDR altogether and reduce my settings. Since doing that I've had very few errors.

Of course your mileage may vary and it's possible to damage your system. By following these steps are doing so at your own risk.

Return to “Other Support Questions”