Prepar3d Newsgroup

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D website and web apps.
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

Has any thought been given to running a NEWSGROUP for Prepar3d.

NEWSGROUP !!! I know, most have been replaced with Forums & Blogs, but there is still a lot of features of a newsgroup that might benefit those trying to interact within the Prepar3d community.

As many might remember, Microsoft used a Private Newsgroup for the FSX beta team, and it worked extremly well.

Maybe a private Newsgroup for Prepar3d developers?

While I can appreciate the openness of a public forum, I see the potential for a lot or seeminly irreleveant "noise" from the general public, filling up the forum, making it very difficult to filter out what is technically relevant.

If nothing else, one Major advantage of a newsgroup it that the information in it is "retained" by the viewer, and is not subject to removal, forum changes, or forum terminations etc

For example, now years after 'Aces' closed, and the FSX beta Newgroup was closed, I find one of the most valuable resourses I have as a FSX/Prepar3d developer, is the wealth of searchable information, I have in that newgroup , still residing on my computer.

Just a though ....

Geoff

:o
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

Hi Geoff,

Newsgroups can work well but this could spread information across multiple forms of support paths, emails lists, newsgroups, forums, emails, doc's etc.

Personally I would prefer one central location for all data. Maybe a beta section on the forum.

Christian

Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Geoff,

I was also involved in the FSX beta group (and the ESP one) and we are basically doing the same thing with the Registered Solution Developers in the Developer Network using Trac. This group will have access to beta releases and have the ability to record and review bugs and have a more in-depth look at where we are going.

Regards,

John
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

John

Please STRONGLY consider allowing Registered Developers to have "READ ONLY" access to the Trac System.

(1) This will, at least, keep ALL developers "in the loop", without flooding or putting any additional strain on Trac.

(2) Being outside this loop, will severely hinder ANYONE trying to develop for P3D.

(3) Having seen what is available on TRAC, I can imagine quite a few Deveopers biting the bullet and moving to Solution Developer, just to be able to interact :)

Win-Win situation ...

Geoff