One core at (or near) 100% and the other three just loafing...

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Drizzle

Postby Drizzle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:32 pm

I've poked around for quite a while looking for someone else's post answering this question, but didn't find a good match -- hope I'm not duplicating here...

First, my setup:

i5-2500K OC'ed to 4.5, 16GB RAM, Sapphire ATI 6950 2GB GPU...

Messing around with Prepar3D V2.0 today I noticed -- using my ASUS monitoring utility -- that running P3D is pushing one core (I think it was Core 1) up to or near 100%, while the other three cores are almost idling! I think Core 0 was mostly running in the single digits, and 2 & 3 were running usually around 20-35%. This was the case whether I was running with default settings at 30FPS, or at 7-9FPS with what my naive, newbie efforts at approximating P3D to my old FSX settings had me running... (And my GPU was running around 65%... I think this is about what it used to run with FSX, but I'd expected a higher load on it with all the work that I've read is supposed to be outsourced from the CPU to the GPU...)

Odd thing is -- using Affinity Mask in FSX -- I generally had all four cores running up near 100% all the time I was flying. I had most sliders maxed out in FSX, and unless I was in a brutally dense area, I usually ran a fairly reliable 30FPS. I thought it was FSX that only knew how to utilize one core, while P3D was supposed to squeeze out the last ounce of work available in all of 'em! ;)

So, lower FPS rates with P3D -- with far LOWER CPU usage -- has me scratching my head!! Clearly, I'm missing something here...

I've read plenty of Affinity Mask posts already which seem to suggest that won't be my solution here... Any ideas will be very welcome. I'd love to get my WHOLE COMPUTER working on this exciting new adventure, so it can become the FAR BETTER EXPERIENCE I am certain it's going to be! :D

I know I have a LOT to learn with the transition, so I am NOT complaining. Just seeking better understanding that can help me sharpen the learning curve...

Thanks in advance!

Drizzle
Win10 64-bit|16GB DDR4|2XEVGA GTX980Ti 6GB(SLI)|i7-6700k(OC-4.6GHz)|ASUS Z170-A|250GB 850 EVO SSD(for OS)|1TB 860 EVO SSD(for P3D and aircraft)|2X500GB 850 EVO SSDs(add-ons)|Corsair 1000W PSU|HAF 912 case|P3D V4.3|CV1

johnlgjm

Postby johnlgjm » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi Drizzle,

I have experienced the same issue. I stumbled across a way to fix it, but you have to do it each time you start P3D. After you start up the sim, bring up the windows task manager. Go to processes and find Prepar3D.exe. Right click it and pick Set Affinity. Uncheck the core that's pegged (mine is normally Core 2)and click OK to close it out. Then do the same thing again and recheck the core you unchecked. That normally settles all the cores down and they seem to behave as normal.

In my case, I have an i7-3770k OC'd to 4.5, 8Gig RAM and a GeForce GTX660.

It's not a fix, but hope it helps balance the cores out for you. As a side note, I always had this issue in ver 1.4 also.

John

earnorbust

Postby earnorbust » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:16 am

Hi guys

Why not check all cores with the affinity Setting? ...isn't that better?

I was amazed to see only 3 cores set on Default. I thought Prepar3dv2 does this automatically?!

Is there any way to do this affinity Setting automatically when starting Prepar3dv2?

AndreaD

Postby AndreaD » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:55 am

AFAIK P3D2 leaves the first core available to the OS, probably a sensible thing to do: you never know what background activities the OS will try and perform in the background while we are happily simming around.

Drizzle

Postby Drizzle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:06 am

Thank you John! I'll give that a try...

Out of curiosity, have you noticed whether that enhances Prepar3D's performance? Do you see all cores working harder, or does it just balance a 'reduced' load across all of them? I always felt more confident back in FSX when I saw all cores pretty much pegged -- felt more satisfied in the belief I was getting as much performance as I could from the experience. So if I end up with all my cores running at 'half-staff', so to speak, with P3D, I'm going to end up feeling cheated out what I'm pretty certain is a better experience just out of reach through some artificial wall.

Thanks for sharing your experience and work-around! I'll be giving it a try on Monday! (Wish I was at my simming computer now -- then I wouldn't have needed to sound off with all the extra questions above! ;) )

Drizzle
Win10 64-bit|16GB DDR4|2XEVGA GTX980Ti 6GB(SLI)|i7-6700k(OC-4.6GHz)|ASUS Z170-A|250GB 850 EVO SSD(for OS)|1TB 860 EVO SSD(for P3D and aircraft)|2X500GB 850 EVO SSDs(add-ons)|Corsair 1000W PSU|HAF 912 case|P3D V4.3|CV1

johnlgjm

Postby johnlgjm » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:06 am

This happens to me wether I have affinity mask set or not. LM now sets the AM at startup for us. When I look through task manager, cores 2, 4 and 6 are the only ones set, but still only core 2 has activity. I uncheck it and save, then recheck it and all 3 come alive. There was a post (i could not find it again) that said LM leaves core 0 for the OS. This really isn't a big problem, more of an annoyance.

John

tropebuster

Postby tropebuster » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:41 am

here is what it looks like for me, before and after setting the AM in task manager to using cores 1-7

before

before-am.jpg

after

after-am.jpg

not really sure what to make of it.

tropebuster

Postby tropebuster » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:09 pm

according to this thread you can still set the affinity mask in the %appdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\prepar3d.cfg file like before

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3799

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”