Taxiways or parking areas are very black

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Murcielago

Taxiways or parking areas are very black

Post by Murcielago »

At many airports, but not all, the taxiways or parking areas are very black, as can be seen in the attached image of Vnukovo. I don't know if this is a defect of the simulator or if this colour is typical of its original configuration.

Thank you for any help you can give me

Good morning, and good luck
Martyson

Re: Taxiways or parking areas are very black

Post by Martyson »

Murcielago wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:27 am At many airports, but not all, the taxiways or parking areas are very black, as can be seen in the attached image of Vnukovo. I don't know if this is a defect of the simulator or if this colour is typical of its original configuration.

https://imgur.com/K0mdCJf

Thank you for any help you can give me

Good morning, and good luck
Hello Murcielago ,

Which P3D product version number?

Default / payware airports?

Which airport in your screenshot?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Murcielago

Post by Murcielago »

1. I have a P3D5.3
2. The airports I am referring to are the default airports included in P3D5.3.
3. The airport in the image is the Vnukovo airport

Thank you very much for your interest.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello Murcielago ,

Yes, I see the same for UUWW.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Murcielago

Post by Murcielago »

So that's how they are presented. What a horror of graphics!

I am very grateful to you. Thank you very much.
Good night, and good luck
ReinFlight

Post by ReinFlight »

Hi,

You can try to change the surface of the apron and taxiways with ADE. I see in ADE that the surface is Asphalt. You can change that. Perhaps another material looks better. Take a look at google earth to find out which type of surface. To me it looks like Concrete but not sure
Kalnon

Post by Kalnon »

Yeah I've also noticed the default asphalt taxi areas and taxiways look unrealistically dark and I don't see any 3rd party solutions for it either besides buying 3rd party airports and that's a waste of money in my opinion. I would prefer a global airport solution. I think the concrete ones could look much better as well. At least for FSX I have REX Worldwide Airports HD and REX Texture Direct that make taxi areas look much better than P3Dv5 default does. Unfortunately those texture add-ons are not compatible with P3Dv5.
P3Dv5.4
Ryzen 5800X, Corsair 32 Gb 3600 Mhz, Sapphire Nitro+ 6900 XT
All time favorite aircraft: PMDG 747 Queen of the Skys V2, A2A Captain of the Ship B377 Stratocruiser, OZx Grumman Goose Redux
shermank

Post by shermank »

FWIW, I checked out UUEE this morning. The same for UUWW. All textures look fine, no black spots, everything in place. I have installed and used ENVSHADE, ENVTEX AND ENVPLUS.Whether that has anything to do with it, I don’t know..

Sherm
Kalnon

Post by Kalnon »

shermank wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:38 pm FWIW, I checked out UUEE this morning. The same for UUWW. All textures look fine, no black spots, everything in place. I have installed and used ENVSHADE, ENVTEX AND ENVPLUS.Whether that has anything to do with it, I don’t know..

Sherm
It is ENVTEX that is likely making it look better for you, if you read the description here https://secure.simmarket.com/toga-proje ... -p3d.phtml part of it says this:

Realistic and sharp grass texture for normal and snowy conditions
New hard runway textures with realistic tire markings for normal and snowy conditions to cover all of your airports in any weather condition and season
New grass and gravel runway textures for general aviation and bush flying
New taxiway textures
New runways, taxiways and parking markings
New airport signage
New airport lighting

So I guess I was wrong, there may be a third party solution after all. Looks like a great add-on, I think I'm going to try it myself.
P3Dv5.4
All time favorite aircraft: PMDG 747 Queen of the Skys V2, A2A Captain of the Ship B377 Stratocruiser, OZx Grumman Goose Redux
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I don't know if the issue I had once is what you're seeing, but I once had all-black runways and taxiways, with no lines or other markings on them.

It turned out that the layering in my scenery.cfg was screwed up. Once I had that in order, everything was fine.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
shermank

Post by shermank »

Kalman, the ENV***programs are very inexpensive considering what they can do…I suggest you start with Shade andxTex, work with that a while. Then,w hen you have an understanding and experience with what they can do, you might want add Plus for a greater variety of shader options.

Sherm
Kalnon

Post by Kalnon »

shermank wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:57 pm Kalman, the ENV***programs are very inexpensive considering what they can do…I suggest you start with Shade andxTex, work with that a while. Then,w hen you have an understanding and experience with what they can do, you might want add Plus for a greater variety of shader options.

Sherm
I'm mainly interested in the textures, I want to see what they look like compared to the default. I'm always looking for better textures for everything in the sim.

I did try ENVShade however I was unable to get the app to run on my PC for some reason I have yet to figure out. Now I use RDShade which is an amazing tool. I don't know how to adjust many of the settings yet to get P3D to look exactly the way I want but the great thing about RDShade is there's a website where other people upload their own RDShade preset files so anyone can download them and there are some really awesome presets to choose from that make P3Dv5 look amazing with just a few clicks. You just download the one you like, open RDShade, activate the preset and your ready to fly without having to learn everything (though I am in the slow and tedious process of learning them so eventually I can make it look exactly the way I want.).
P3Dv5.4
shermank

Post by shermank »

Sorry that you could not get ENV programs to work. You can contact their forum at

https://www.togaprojects.com/forum/envp ... tification

Sherm
Murcielago

Post by Murcielago »

Dear colleagues, I have used ADE, but I have not been able to get it to work. I have also used textures from Toga Projects, and RDShade, but so far I have not been able to solve the problem of the black colour in the bearing and parking areas. I would be grateful if those of you who claim to have solved the problem could tell me how you did it, i.e. what steps to follow to overcome the problem. My thanks to all of you for your advice and good intentions. I still think that the phenomenon is a matter of the original design of P3D5, where the graphical aspect has not been of major concern to the creators of this simulator.

Good day, and good luck

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I would strongly urge you to look into the layering of the scenery in your scenery.cfg file.

The free Lorby SI Add-on Organizer will help you do this.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.