Options/Display not changing when selecting a different display

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
n116dh

Options/Display not changing when selecting a different display

Post by n116dh »

Greetings,
I have 3 monitors -- 2 1080p monitors and 1 1440p (no Surround). Monitor 0 is 1 1880p and I have it set as my main display in Windows. The 1440p monitor is monitor 1 in windows and that is the one I use for P3d. However, when I go to options display it defaults to display 0 with a max resolution of 1080p and if I change it to display 1 and select the 1440p resolution it doesn't stick. When I close out display options, nothing changes and when I go back to display options display 0 is STILL selected. I can't seem to change them.
Any help would be appreciated in advance.
Thanks.
n116dh

Re: Options/Display not changing when selecting a different display

Post by n116dh »

Well I guess Lockheed is not supporting v4.5 anymore. This post and another similar one haven't been answered by anyone. This issue is simple. Why does P3D keep reverting back to an initial display selection NO MATTER WHAT? This kind of stuff is getting old.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

N116DH,

Allow me a quote: "Well I guess Lockheed is not supporting v4.5 anymore".

They are, if you have a service contract. The "casual simmers" are not formally supported in any version (see your EULA).

That leaves it to other "casual simmers" to answer your question, and I can't, because I only have one monitor. And I would assume that people with multiple displays and therefore powerful systems more or less all have migrated to v. 5... but again, this is an assumption.

What I could suggest is that you might be do the changes you want in prepar3d.cfg instead of on the options page. That way your changes will stay in effect.

Just my 5 cents -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

The display numbers in windows may not match the display numbers in P3d. In P3d they can actually change even if you don't change anything in windows or the sim. Add into that your GPU has a primary display port on it, and it can get really confusing. On my 4 monitor setup I have to boot the PC on my center monitor and cannot power up the other 3 until windows comes up. If I don't do it that way, then P3d changes the monitor IDs and I have to adjust my view groups. I use my center monitor as my primary windows and p3d monitor. I tried to make separate them at one point and I could never get it to work correctly. Very weird if you ask me.

My suggestion to you would be to get your main monitor on your primary port on your GPU and then experiment from there.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
n116dh

Post by n116dh »

Gentlemen, thanks for your responses. I will take them under advisement. I have stayed on 4.5 because I didn't have a powerful enough machine (i.e. video card) to run 5.x. However, I have recently upgraded to a newer machine. However, I'm not sure the the upgrading to 5.x will solve this problem. Thanks for brining to my attention the EULA regarding support. But, I don't consider myself a "casual simmer". I've been simming since FS98. If Prepar3d has a tiered customer base, I submit that that will only drive more folks to MS.
Thanks again.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

N116DH, allow me a quote:

"If Prepar3d has a tiered customer base, I submit that that will only drive more folks to MS".

P3D has had a tiered customer base from the very beginning, and those people that would have been driven to MSFS, have already (for the most part, I would believe) migrated.

Personally, I "migrated" for about 30 minutes, when MSFS came out - I needed to see what all the hype was about. And for me, that was what it was - all hype and glitter. So I "migrated" back...

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Are you in full screen mode? The display resolutions only change when you enter full screen and they should change back when you exit full screen. If you keep the full screen resolution the same as your desktop resolution, the switch to full-screen is much faster. Also, each display saves a separate resolution by design. It's likely that we do revert the currently selected display back to 0 when you enter the UI, however if you use the drop down to select another display, you should see that we save your previous selection for that display in the UI. If not, it's possible there was a bug back in v4 that we have since fixed. We did the big multi-monitor full screen overhaul way back in v2 though, so I would expect that to work unless we had to update the display lists because of changes to windows over the years.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect