AT NIGHT P3DV5 PANNING

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
wiliamkeithring

AT NIGHT P3DV5 PANNING

Post by wiliamkeithring »

I'm using a AMD 5600K. I'm suffering from really frustrating lag when panning, this is mostly at night or under high load sceneries/areas. It's not every time, but quite a lot of the time which makes night flying almost unbearable for me. Anybody know a fix? Running on a Samsung 1920/1080 monitor with the PC resolution set the same.
pestridge77

Re: AT NIGHT P3DV5 PANNING

Post by pestridge77 »

wiliamkeithring wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:07 am I'm using a AMD 5600K. I'm suffering from really frustrating lag when panning, this is mostly at night or under high load sceneries/areas. It's not every time, but quite a lot of the time which makes night flying almost unbearable for me. Anybody know a fix? Running on a Samsung 1920/1080 monitor with the PC resolution set the same.
Have you made any changes to the P3D.cfg and please, what are your PC specs.

Most likely what is the cause are the settings. Night time and day time are very different. Requiring different slider settings and you can make a night time profile and daytime profile to cope with the demands on the hardware. Its the same when you load into an area like a city vs the countryside. Youll get more fps in the countryside where in cities it takes more on the hardware to display.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 3.7Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 64G DDR4 Core Speed 3200Ghz
OS: Windows 10 (tweaked/modded for Flight Sim Performance)
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

pestridge77 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:57 am
wiliamkeithring wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:07 am I'm using a AMD 5600K. I'm suffering from really frustrating lag when panning, this is mostly at night or under high load sceneries/areas. It's not every time, but quite a lot of the time which makes night flying almost unbearable for me. Anybody know a fix? Running on a Samsung 1920/1080 monitor with the PC resolution set the same.

Most likely what is the cause are the settings. Night time and day time are very different. Requiring different slider settings and you can make a night time profile and daytime profile to cope with the demands on the hardware. Its the same when you load into an area like a city vs the countryside. Youll get more fps in the countryside where in cities it takes more on the hardware to display.
Hello pestridge77 ,

Which sliders do you change (day/night/countryside)?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Martyson wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:08 am

Hello pestridge77 ,

Night time I think, what wont I see and run those sliders down and what will I need to see and run those sliders up.
Mountain sharpness detail wont be seen at night, so tessellation and mesh is rundown. Buildings and trees is lowered as they arent that visible at night and that allows for the draw distance to be at max and level of detail radius. Its a trade off because (Ive increased the MAXPOINTLIGHT value in the sim) from 250 default to 900 so the night time is lit up with lights. So when I fly at night, I put the night profile on and day time I use the day time. Meaning if I need different brightness and saturation, I can flick between them rather easily.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

pestridge77 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:43 am

Hello pestridge77 ,

Night time I think, what wont I see and run those sliders down and what will I need to see and run those sliders up.
Mountain sharpness detail wont be seen at night, so tessellation and mesh is rundown. Buildings and trees is lowered as they arent that visible at night and that allows for the draw distance to be at max and level of detail radius. Its a trade off because (Ive increased the MAXPOINTLIGHT value in the sim) from 250 default to 900 so the night time is lit up with lights. So when I fly at night, I put the night profile on and day time I use the day time. Meaning if I need different brightness and saturation, I can flick between them rather easily.

Hello pestridge77 ,

You mentioned : “(Ive increased the MAXPOINTLIGHT value in the sim) from 250 default to 900 “

Where did you find information on when the user was supposed to change this value and the range limits?

Prepar3Dcfg
MAX_POINT_LIGHTS=250
Best Regards,
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Martyson wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:25 am
Hello pestridge77 ,

Hello pestridge77 ,

You mentioned : “(Ive increased the MAXPOINTLIGHT value in the sim) from 250 default to 900 “

Where did you find information on when the user was supposed to change this value and the range limits?

Prepar3Dcfg
MAX_POINT_LIGHTS=250
This helps the Black Marble black lighting I use to increase the available lights in the sim and looks amazing at night, I cant fly at night without their products. The max points lights isnt anything to do with this conversation, just something I do for the night lighting.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

pestridge77 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:46 pm

Hello pestridge77 ,

Prepar3Dcfg
MAX_POINT_LIGHTS=250
This helps the Black Marble black lighting I use to increase the available lights in the sim and looks amazing at night, I cant fly at night without their products. The max points lights isnt anything to do with this conversation, just something I do for the night lighting.
Hi pestridge77 ,

Actually I asked :

I think in your posts mentioning your sim tweeks (not default P3D but Custom P3D setup) you should also include any specialty software in use e.g., Marble black lighting.
Best Regards,
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Martyson wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:14 pm

Hello pestridge77 ,

Prepar3Dcfg
MAX_POINT_LIGHTS=250
Hi pestridge77 ,

Actually I asked :

I think in your posts mentioning your sim tweeks (not default P3D but Custom P3D setup) you should also include any specialty software in use e.g., Marble black lighting.
Im totally confused then by what you want. As the original question was about someone elses performance during the day, not my addons. I never said in my post that the user needed to add those values, it was example of changes Ive made to increase the night visuals as to WHY the sliders needed to be changed. Night and day is very different for the sliders I feel and I was only explaining why I make those changes so they can understand why I feel day and night is different, to help them get better performance. Maybe what I said was misread or maybe I explained badly, apologies.
I can add ALL the addons I use to my signature in all my flights although I disable alot if Im not using it in the scenery library so its not in every flight.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

pestridge77 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:13 pm

Hi pestridge77 ,

Actually I asked :

Im totally confused then by what you want. As the original question was about someone elses performance during the day, not my addons. I never said in my post that the user needed to add those values, it was example of changes Ive made to increase the night visuals as to WHY the sliders needed to be changed. Night and day is very different for the sliders I feel and I was only explaining why I make those changes so they can understand why I feel day and night is different, to help them get better performance. Maybe what I said was misread or maybe I explained badly, apologies.
I can add ALL the addons I use to my signature in all my flights although I disable alot if Im not using it in the scenery library so its not in every flight.
Hello pestridge77 ,

Sorry about any confusion.

By “user” I meant any P3D user.

So I will ask this way:
Where did you find information on P3D MAX_POINT_LIGHTS and the range value limits?
Best Regards,
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Martyson wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi pestridge77 ,

Actually I asked :

Hello pestridge77 ,

So I will ask this way:
Where did you find information on P3D MAX_POINT_LIGHTS and the range value limits?
The Learning Centre is a great source of knowledge for P3D, reading it in its entirely for every version has given me a great understanding for how P3D works, trial and error in my own testing, conversations with developers and other flight sim users and general experience with the platform is how Ive gained any knowledge about P3D.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

pestridge77 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:21 pm

Hello pestridge77 ,

So I will ask this way:
The Learning Centre is a great source of knowledge for P3D, reading it in its entirely for every version has given me a great understanding for how P3D works, trial and error in my own testing, conversations with developers and other flight sim users and general experience with the platform is how Ive gained any knowledge about P3D.
Hi pestridge77 ,

I had checked the Learning Center and did not find it.
Can you point me to the correct section?

You mentioned "reading it in its entirely for every version"

I assume you are using P3D 5.3.17.28160 , correct?
Best Regards,
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Martyson wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:26 pm
pestridge77 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:21 pm

Hello pestridge77 ,

So I will ask this way:
Hi pestridge77 ,

I had checked the Learning Center and did not find it.
Can you point me to the correct section?

You mentioned "reading it in its entirely for every version"

I assume you are using P3D 5.3.17.28160 , correct?
Yes using the latest version.
The location for the MAX_POINT_LIGHTS is here @ https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/LearningCenter.php
in the LIGHTING section (under graphics, which is in options) and scroll down to the bottom to dynamic lighting where it states:

Dynamic Lighting
The number of dynamic lights can be modified by MAX_POINT_LIGHTS and MAX_SPOT_LIGHTS to change the number of lights supported per view.

So, more points of lights mean more lights at night are possible to display per view over the default value.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hi pestridge77 ,

Initially I did not find the information using search in Learning Center (screenshot).

Now I edited my initial search text and found one line of information (screenshot).

Does changing the MAXPOINTLIGHT to a higher value fix the OP’s problem “panning at night”?

Note:
Naturally I have never previously changes the values.
I am ok with the default usage.

Best Regards,
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Martyson wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:04 pm Hi pestridge77 ,

Initially I did not find the information using search in Learning Center (screenshot).

Now I edited my initial search text and found one line of information (screenshot).

Does changing the MAXPOINTLIGHT to a higher value fix the OP’s problem “panning at night”?

Note:
Naturally I have never previously changes the values.
I am ok with the default usage.

Great. I really dont know what our convo tho has to do with the original post. I never said the user needed to change these values.