P3D v5.3 (28131) VR useless (steamVR)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Simpilot2020

P3D v5.3 (28131) VR useless (steamVR)

Post by Simpilot2020 »

Hi,
I did a complete new install of P3Dv5.3 (28131). I'm using the HP Reverb G2 and my only option is to deal with steamVR.
My Graphic card is a Asus RTX 3080 with 10GB of V-RAM.
In normal conditions (without VR) the VRAM usage is 5.5-6 GB from 9.1 GB available for the title. Sounds reasonable an with somehow medium up to high settings in the graphics everything runs smooth (average 35-45 fps PMDG777) depends on airport scenery. Just fine.

Doing the same with VR (steamVR) the VRAM usage is about 6-6.5 GB from now 6.6-6.7 GB available. Means steamVR itself consuming 2.5GB of VRAM and with that low margin SteamVR crashes on every input, try to restart SteamVR, P3D crashes next (CTD).

For the time being that means to me no VR possible. And furthermore does it mean to use VR with P3D you have to spend 2.000€ minimum for a 3090 RTX to have at least enough VRAM?

I have used the Oculus Rift before and the resolution is at least not sufficient for Flightsim. I think the HP Reverb G2 is now somehow standard hardware in terms of cost and performance regarding VR.
If there are recommendations or preferable settings to bring it to work in P3Dv5.3 please let me know.

BR
Andreas Hoevel