P3D V5.3 Missing Horizon/Atmo Haze

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Henrik2k17

P3D V5.3 Missing Horizon/Atmo Haze

Post by Henrik2k17 »

Hey Guys,

just a short question, I‘m experiencing very weird behaviors with the new 5.3 shaders.
Without EA activated at all I don’t get any Horizon Haze or Atmosphere Scattering at all. Since I looked in the shaders I know since 5.3 the whole fog calculation changed again.
Or are the „HenyeyGreenstein“ and Rayleigh functions only for Enhaced Atmospherics?
It would be very good if you could look into that before pushing the next hotfix.
Thanks
jgoggi

Re: P3D V5.3 Missing Horizon/Atmo Haze

Post by jgoggi »

I do confirm that there is no horizon haze in 5.3 (EA and HDR off). I tried with Envshade to increase haze to maximum, but nothing changes. Even Active Sky latest release can't provide haze on the horizon.
This causes a bad effect of scenery objects on the horizon (such as mountains) blinking before appearing completely.
mfannee

Post by mfannee »

Confirmed here too.

When EA is turned off, the lack of haze causes mountain ridges in the distance to appear or dispappear "just like that" when looking around (shift+O and moving the mouse).
PilotRaider14

Post by PilotRaider14 »

No haze for me either.

A hotfix coming soon for this?
Intel i9 10900K|Corsair 32GB DDR4 3200MHz|2TB NVME 970 EVO Plus|EVGA FTW3 GTX 1080Ti | EVGA 850W G3 PSU
Windows 11 Pro | P3D, XP11, DCS World, MSFS.
BiologicalNanobot

Post by BiologicalNanobot »

I do not have v5.3 installed due to work, where did you see Henyey-Greenstein? It is a phase function used to estimate Mie scattering, which mostly occurs on aerosols, like fog. Similar story for Rayleigh scattering which is used to calculate aerial perspective.
theflightforna

Post by theflightforna »

+1 also here. Even if i use Envshade, with the same parameters of Active Sky in use for 5.1 and 5.2 (and their hotfixes) the haze is not displayed and it's really annoying.

I really hope LM will soon provide a statement on this and will suggest a fix (maybe without a further hotfix setup changing again the client version) to reintroduce the haze.
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

So, any comment by the developers, please?
It's a really ugly effect, I wonder how it has not been detected during beta testing. It needs a quick hotfix!
Thank you.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

jgoggi wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:32 am So, any comment by the developers, please?
It's a really ugly effect, I wonder how it has not been detected during beta testing. It needs a quick hotfix!
Thank you.
@ jgoggi ,

You previously mentioned:
"This causes a bad effect of scenery objects on the horizon (such as mountains) blinking before appearing completely."

Screenshots or video of the problem on a default P3D5.3 setup (no Add-ons)?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Good morning Vaugham,
The issue has been noticed by many users and the difference with v5.2 is evident, even because there is no effect in applying visibility reduction provided by Active Sky or Envshade.
Some screenshots can be seen in the following topic in Activve Sky forum:

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/ ... 122/page-2

Thank you and best regards.

James
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

jgoggi wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:39 am Good morning Vaugham,
The issue has been noticed by many users and the difference with v5.2 is evident, even because there is no effect in applying visibility reduction provided by Active Sky or Envshade.
Some screenshots can be seen in the following topic in Activve Sky forum:

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/ ... 122/page-2

Thank you and best regards.

James
@ jgoggi ,
James

A current video from you of your P3D5.3 install / problem (no Add-ons) would be best in this topic.
Best Regards,
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Vaughan,
What do you mean with "no addons"? If you mean no Active Sky or Envshade ok, but if you mean a vanilla 5.3 installation, that's impossible. I can't uninstall Orbx, sceneries, etc., for an issue that is evidently in P3D, like reported by many users.
You can see more screenshots here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=143929

Anyway, anyone has a vanilla installation and can confirm that the issue is NOT present, there, or can provide a video?

Thanks.
James
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

jgoggi wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:53 am Vaughan,
What do you mean with "no addons"? If you mean no Active Sky or Envshade ok, but if you mean a vanilla 5.3 installation, that's impossible. I can't uninstall Orbx, sceneries, etc., for an issue that is evidently in P3D, like reported by many users.

Anyway, anyone has a vanilla installation and can confirm that the issue is NOT present, there, or can provide a video?

Thanks.
James
@ jgoggi ,
James

You previously mentioned:
"This causes a bad effect of scenery objects on the horizon (such as mountains) blinking before appearing completely."

Just do your own video showing your problem and mention the minimum Add-ons you are using for the test.
Like e.g., No Active Sky or Envshade in the test.
Best Regards,
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Can you provide more specifics about your weather and visibility settings, and some screenshots showing the issue? If there are no vis layers at all, try adding a large vis layer with unlimited visibility.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
mfannee

Post by mfannee »

Hi Beau,

I'm at work now, so I can't provide new screenshots, but in this thread I already provided two screenshots in clear weather for comparison: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=143894

This illustrates one aspect of the "haze problem":

* when EA is turned OFF, there is no haze: one can see mountains/hills in the distance, and as soon as one moves the camera in a direction or the other, the horizon line changes (mountains/hills grow or shrink).
* when EA is ON, the same mountains/hills are hidden in haze, so no problem visible in that case.

In 5.2 this never happened, this is new to 5.3.

I saw the problem occurring at several locations:
* Krakow, flying to the south
* Brisbane INTL, flying to the west
* Anchorage INTL
* Biarritz, flying to the south

Keep in mind: the problem happens with very distant mountains/hills, which are normally hidden in haze
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Exactly, mfannee well summarized the issue.
I made a short video to show the ugly effect of blinking mountains on the horizon. As you can see, there is no haze at all, even if this is the P3D default "Clear skies" theme.
Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uihgif32hkqg ... 9.mp4?dl=0