A question about the DirectX Shader folder

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Ray Proudfoot

A question about the DirectX Shader folder

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

Can someone with the relevant knowledge please advise how the contents of this folder should be managed? I’ve had v5 installed for six months and have only become aware of this folder in the last few days.

It contained 9.4Mb of files and folders. The P3D Shaders folder is generally cleared out when graphics drivers are updated. But what advice is given about maintaining this folder?

I’m pretty sure it was responsible for some or all of my DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG errors. Now that I’m aware of it I’ll clear it down every few weeks.

But what is the advice from LM as this is a new folder with v5.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K o/c to 5.8GHz, Nvidia RTX 4090 24Gb, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, Asus ROG STRIX HERO mobo, Crucial T700 4Tb SSD, Win 11 Pro, BenQ 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One Yoke
Ray Proudfoot

Re: A question about the DirectX Shader folder

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

No response. How disappointing.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K o/c to 5.8GHz, Nvidia RTX 4090 24Gb, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, Asus ROG STRIX HERO mobo, Crucial T700 4Tb SSD, Win 11 Pro, BenQ 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One Yoke
clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

Are you referring to the shaders folder in location

AppData/local/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3Dv5/shaders

If this is the folder in question you can delete this folder on a regular basis and it will re-build next time you load P3D. However, the contents of this folder will not be the cause of DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG error and deleting this folder will not solve this problem although it may appear that these actions have resolved the error

The DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG error has been around for several years and is strikes when least expected. Some users have lots of problems with this error and other users have not experienced it at all as all systems are different. The error has never been resolved 100% and remains an error that can strike at anytime. When and if the error strikes the most likely reason is that your system is trying to cope with a load that it cannot handle, therefore the DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG error is generated.

Beware!! you may come across a YOUTUBE video that claims that DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG solved 100% guaranteed but this is not true.
The main culprit of this error is load on your system that your system is unable to handle
Last edited by clive6354 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

clive6354 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:01 am Are you referring to the shaders folder in location

AppData/local/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3Dv5/shaders
No. Those are inside the P3D installation. I'm talking about the ones in AppData\Local\D3DSCache
Ray (Cheshire, England).

clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

Over the many years of using P3D the location that you have stated AppData\Local\D3DSCache has never come to my attention, In my opinion I would not manually delete the contents of this folder. If it does require deleting I would advise to leave it to your system to delete this folder when your graphics drivers are being updated
clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

I have observed the specification of your system and that it is overclocked. Have you overclocked it yourself or has it been overclocked professionally when your system was built?

In my opinion, the multitude of reasons of the DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG error, overclocking is one of the major culprits. If you have a good processor there is no need to overclock as this only results in putting extra load and strain on your system for very little increase in performance and the extra strain on your processor maybe what is generating the DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG error
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

It was overclocked using the Asus AI Suite 3 utility. Asus overclocking their own motherboards. Professional? Yes, as far as I'm concerned.

As for not overclocking I think you're in a minority of one when it comes to flight simulation. My Intel i7-8086K was specifically designed to be overclocked as are all CPUs with a K suffix.

Anyway, getting back on topic how about answering the question I asked?
Ray (Cheshire, England).

clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

I had answered your question in a previous message.

Do not delete the folder in question manually, leave it to be deleted if required by your system when updating the graphics drivers

As far as overclocking is concerned, just because a processor contains a "K" suffix meaning that the processor is designed to be overclocked does not mean that if it is overclocked that it will not present problems. Any good manufacturer of processors will advise customers that although a processor contains a "K" suffix in order to obtain error-free performance it is advisable to use the processor at its default settings.

If you wish to obtain better performance by a better processor
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

clive6354 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:31 am Over the many years of using P3D the location that you have stated AppData\Local\D3DSCache has never come to my attention, In my opinion I would not manually delete the contents of this folder. If it does require deleting I would advise to leave it to your system to delete this folder when your graphics drivers are being updated
It’s new to DX12 I think as it was never utilised in v4.x. I’ll see if anything happens to the contents with a driver update.

As for your advice to buy a better processor I won’t comment on that as you might not like my reply. I run my system at 30fps and core0 is only maxxed at complex airports but the DXGI error never happens at them. It only happens at altitude over undemanding scenery and neither the CPU or GPU is stressed so this is definitely NOT an overclocking issue.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

And that is how the DXGI error causes so much confusion as every system is different and the problem is complex and has never been resolved. I have never had a DXGI error, maybe just luck
clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

Just a thought... do you use software called "Process Lasso"? It is a program that spreads the load of the cores so that any one core will not be maxed out. As you mentioned that Core0 is maxed out at demanding airports, maybe "Process Lasso" will help to spread the load of Core0 and may help prevent the DXGI error, even though as you say that the error only happens when your system is not maxed out
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

Never used Project Lasso. The Asus utility set 3 cores to 5.2 and the other 3 to 5.0. Windows/ P3D does all the handling of processing. The less interference from outside utilities the better as far as I’m concerned.

I never had the problem with v4 and I flew the PMDG737 around the world. And not all the time in v5. But now that I have a fix I’ll leave well alone.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

If your solution was a fix you would be worth ten times your weight in Gold. This fix, as you have described is fooling you into thinking that the problem has been resolved but as sure as night follows day the error will strike again when you least expect it.

You will need all your fingers and toes crossed but be careful that you do not fall over
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

What every user wants and needs, is something that works.

This works for Ray.

Does it not work for you?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

I have never experienced a DXGI error