Can we use GPS output On P3DV5 app?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
oosman

Can we use GPS output On P3DV5 app?

Post by oosman »

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone successfully connected P3Dv5's GPS output (of the sim aircraft's GPS location etc.) to use with the Avare app on an Android smartphone, and can you please help me with getting things set up for that to work?

Avare is a free open source "moving map" aviation GPS, A/FD and EFB app for phones or tablets using the Android Operating System.
I am a real-world pilot using the P3Dv5 simulator to sharpen my flying skills. I have been using the Avare app on my Samsung smartphone on real-world flights using the smartphone's internal GPS, and I have read that it is possible to connect Avare via WiFi to use a GPS output from P3D to enable me to practice using Avare while flying my sim aircraft in P3Dv5. So far I have tried:

Settings on P3Dv5:
(1a.)
Options → Application → {under "General"} check-marked Enable GPS data transmission → turned-on Broadcast GPS data to network
(1b.)
Also tried
Options → Application → {under "General"} check-marked Enable GPS data transmission → turned-on Send GPS data to IP address → 192.168.86.182
{That is the IP address showing in Status on my smartphone}

Settings on Avare app in my smartphone:
(2a.)
Preferences → GPS → GPS Position source → turned-on All Available
but of course that then simply uses the smartphone's internal GPS for where my smartphone is actually located in the real world, not the P3Dv5 sim's "GPS" location.
(2b.)
I have also tried downloading and running the Avare External I/O Plugin, set up to Listen on WiFi Port 49002
then
Preferences → GPS → GPS Position source → turned-on Avare IO Module Only
(3.)
I have also tried
Preferences → GPS → External WiFi Port → 49002 → OK

-----
Neither of these settings appears to work: Avare keeps on displaying No GPS Signal warning.

If you have Avare on your smartphone set up and working via WiFi connection with P3Dv5 on your computer, can you please let me know what combination of settings works for you?
Is 49002 the correct Port that P3Dv5 uses to Broadcast GPS data to network on WiFi?
Or is there a better way to connect Avare to P3D using Bluetooth rather than WiFi?