Performance Logging Tool?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
MistyBlue

Performance Logging Tool?

Post by MistyBlue »

Does anyone know of a good way to capture ongoing frame rates (min/max/avg/variation) in P3D to a CSV or some sort of graph? FRAPS used to exist for this, but it doesn't work with P3D v5. I know you can display this by adding AverageFrameRate to Prepar3d.cfg TextInfo but the avg is determined over too short a period, and there isn't a way I can see to export that data and log it.

Before anyone tells me "don't chase frame rates" I'm not. I'm trying to document the performance impacts of various settings so I can determine the best combination for my setup, which will likely result in the smoothest simulation.

That said, it would be VERY nice if LM would add some detailed logging facilities for end users for just this purpose if they're not already there. This capability should really be a core component of the sim to help us all maximize the performance of our expensive hardware.

What would be even BETTER would be an automated tool that loads up a given scenario, baselines performance at some minimum settings, then runs through the same scenario testing the performance impact of each slider as it's increased one at a time, then displays a nice report that tells you how each setting affects your sim compared to baseline (e.g. High Tessellation: -10% impact from baseline). The report could then be re-run when hardware changes to see where the improvements have occurred. We're all just stabbing in the dark otherwise.
Tony
https://www.simobsession.com