Very dark cockpit in 5.2

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Seat7A

Very dark cockpit in 5.2

Post by Seat7A »

How to make the cockpit in 5.2 brighter. What was a problem in 5.1 I think has deteriorated in this version. The cockpit is crazy too dark and I can not find a setting that improves this.

/Thomas
Seat7A

Re: Very dark cockpit in 5.2

Post by Seat7A »

Could I have som kind of answer, please.
cdv0007

Post by cdv0007 »

In the developer tools, clear all the shaders can fix little
Peter Young
flight instructor of Airbus A319/A320/A321
Wolkenschreck

Post by Wolkenschreck »

Dear LM team,

The newest release really is a very welcomed update to the platform. One can see that you put a lot of effort in it and listend to the customers here in the forum. Thus, many thanks to the team and testers for bringing us 5.2!

I agree with the OP that the cockpit environment is indeed too dark (and actually darker than 5.1). Maybe this is something you could revisit again in a future update/hotfix?

The following screenshots were done with the default HDR/EA settings (complete new installation with new shaders) with the default scenario.

Best and thanks,

Christoph

Best,
Christoph

Display: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo

Seat7A

Post by Seat7A »

I it possible to get someone from LM in here with a comment on the problem?

/Thomas
sho69607

Post by sho69607 »

I noticed this too. Everything seemed pretty balanced in 5.1 for me, but now its back to being super dark. Shaders were cleared and I reinstalled but the client and content for this version.
sincedric

Post by sincedric »

The cockpit is way too dark, I'm flying daytime with EA on and the cockpit looks like I have my sunglasses on. Can LM please take a look and provide solutions such as some customization in the graphics option?

Edit: It looks like auto exposure help with the issue, but not everyone wants that on. Could it be fixed even for auto exposure off? Perhaps an option like real cameras (Exposure Compensation) can be added?
Stratocruiser

Post by Stratocruiser »

I agree that it is way too dark. It is the same with default and addon planes. Something needs to b3 done here. Is there anything we could change in the cfg file while waiting for LM to respond?
Thanks
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

PMDG747 VC P3Dv5.2 (screenshot).

Does this look too dark to your eyes?

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
BiologicalNanobot

Post by BiologicalNanobot »

Hi,

One of the reasons of dark cockpits is the HDR tonemapper used in the simulator. Physically based lighting calculations often produce values beyond SDR, so it is easier to do calculations in HDR and then convert resulting HDR image back to SDR. Mathematical functions called tonemappers are used for this purpose.

P3D uses Narkowicz fit of ACES tonemapper, which makes the image overly contrasty and crushes blacks. I hope Lockheed Martin uses Uncharted 2 instead, which results in a much more natural look.

Here is my implementation, if it helps:

Code: Select all

float3 Uncharted2Curve(float3 input_color)
{
    const float shoulder_strength = 0.22;
    const float linear_strength = 0.30;
    const float linear_angle = 0.10;
    const float toe_strength = 0.20;
    const float toe_numerator = 0.01;
    const float toe_denominator = 0.30;

return (((input_color * ((shoulder_strength * input_color) + (linear_angle * linear_strength))) + (toe_strength * toe_numerator)) / ((input_color * ((shoulder_strength * input_color) + linear_strength)) + (toe_strength * toe_denominator))) - (toe_numerator / toe_denominator);
}

float3 ToneMap(float3 input_color)
{
    const float exposure_bias = 2.0;
    const float white_point = 11.2;

return saturate(Uncharted2Curve(input_color * exposure_bias) / Uncharted2Curve(float3(white_point, white_point, white_point)));
}
disco79stu

Post by disco79stu »

Same for me, I agree with the OP and many others here and in other forums and discussion groups.
It's what kept me away from EA since the beginning, and I'm kinda disappointed to see this hasn't been improved one bit in 5.2
The darker areas are almost pitch black, every attempt to get a brighter and less contrast rich look fails because it will affect the external brightness in a negative way. I really hope LM is finally improving this or give us the option to set this interdependently from the environment.

-Stu

BiologicalNanobot

Post by BiologicalNanobot »

disco79stu wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 pm Same for me, I agree with the OP and many others here and in other forums and discussion groups.
It's what kept me away from EA since the beginning, and I'm kinda disappointed to see this hasn't been improved one bit in 5.2
The darker areas are almost pitch black, every attempt to get a brighter and less contrast rich look fails because it will affect the external brightness in a negative way. I really hope LM is finally improving this or give us the option to set this interdependently from the environment.
Enhanced Atmospherics is not the reason of dark cockpits, at least not directly. Enabling Enhanced Atmospherics forces HDR, as physical scattering equations similarly produce brightness values beyond SDR. And as mentioned in my previous post (right above yours), the HDR tonemapper used in Prepar3D is known to crush blacks and result in an overly contrasty scene. As a temporary solution, you can replace the ToneMap() function in HDR.hlsl with the code I sent in my previous post, and delete shader cache so those changes can have an effect.
Last edited by BiologicalNanobot on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ disco79stu ,
Stu

Which aircraft is in your screenshot?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
disco79stu

Post by disco79stu »

BiologicalNanobot wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:28 pm Enhanced Atmospherics is not the reason of dark cockpits, at least not directly. Enabling Enhanced Atmospherics forces HDR, as physical scattering equations similarly produce brightness values beyond SDR. And as mentioned in my previous post (right above yours), the HDR tonemapper used in Prepar3D is known to crush blacks and result in an overly contrasty scene. As a temporary solution, you can replace the ToneMap() function in HDR.hlsl with the code I sent in my previous post, and delete shader cache so those changes can have an effect.
Thanks for the professional explanation, sounds well informed, I will try your code right away. :)
Martyson wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:28 pm @ disco79stu ,
Stu

Which aircraft is in your screenshot?
That's the FSLabs A321-SL.
disco79stu

Post by disco79stu »

BiologicalNanobot wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:28 pm As a temporary solution, you can replace the ToneMap() function in HDR.hlsl with the code I sent in my previous post, and delete shader cache so those changes can have an effect.
Oh wow, this looks much better! Less contrasty and burnt, brighter and more evenly lighted. This is definitely something I can live with and build on!
Thanks man!