P3Dv4 FPS loss only when moving on ground?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
BlueSwurl

P3Dv4 FPS loss only when moving on ground?

Post by BlueSwurl »

So recently i've been bothered greatly by this issue. Given that we spend lots of time slowly meandering along the taxiways of an airport at 15 knots, its nice to have somewhat of a smooth FPS experience in the whole ordeal. However, as far back as December of last year, i noticed that whenever i started moving (specifically at 3 knots or above) on the ground, i would lose fps. It happens in all aircraft, including default. Its not bad in default, typically 20 fps loss but stays above 30. In the PMDG, its around 10-15ish, but still remains around 25-30 all around. It's the worst in the FSLabs however, with the sim tanking to around 10-15 FPS in the VC, and then around 15-20ish outside.

I've tried many fixes, old and new GPU drivers, a client reinstall, new configs, different settings, all of which make no difference. Switching off all my addons including aircraft and just using default reproduces the same bug.

I'm genuinely baffled as to how this is happening. It may have been a windows update along the line, but i have no way of knowing which one it is, nor if i can even undo it.

For reference, here are my specs:
i5-9400F (2.9 GHz Base Clock)
RTX 2060 OC
16GB RAM running at 2666 MHz

P3D is installed on an SSD, and i've never had this problem before with these same specs around a year ago.

So far, i've ran multiple tests with different aircraft in different scenarios. But all experience the same issue. The only exception is Avatar Mode, where running at around 3-4 knots (estimate lol) does not produce the same issue. Using slew mode and moving at taxi speeds doesn't cause FPS loss in any aircraft, but you're technically floating above the ground in a 'flying' state so that doesn't really count.