DXGI Hung device error - GTX 1080 - again

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
aspen31

DXGI Hung device error - GTX 1080 - again

Post by aspen31 »

Hello all

Ive been working through P3Dv5.1 trying different settings within the Sim - attempting to balance performance with visuals and FPS. Not long after installing V5.1 I started to receive the "DXGI Hung Device error- GTX 1080" window and that was according to LM related to Enhance Atmospherics being selected so my problem was fixed by simply turning it off. The Sim has been error free for a couple of months. Lately however when I select "disable VR" I consistently receive the same message- "Hung device error - GTX 1080" with the narrative about P3D closing etc. I am able to fly for as long as I wish, change aircraft and adjust settings as long as I don't try to disable VR. While operating in VR, the sim runs smoothly with with good FPS - set around 30. The type of aircraft doesn't seem to matter.
I have tried rolling back to an Nvidia driver that I knew to function correctly but I receive the same error. In P3D content errors I find nothing which might provide a clue to my problem.

I use a capable, liquid cooled Alienware computer with GTX 1080 and Oculus Rift. My sliders are selected in the 50% range and my frame rate is set to 30 but regulated my the Nvidia control panel. I use most Orbx products. I've not had much luck posting a P3D question on the Oculus forum so I thought I would ask if anyone here has seen this Oculus / P3d issue and found a solution.

Thanks

Warren (aspen31)
Martyson

Re: DXGI Hung device error - GTX 1080 - again

Post by Martyson »

@ aspen31 ,
Warren,

Something recently changed on your setup.

Nvidia Driver version ?

You could Uninstall your Add-ons and P3D then reinstall P3D and leave it in a default state for testing.

Here are some helpful links :

The General Debugging Steps are here for your review.
viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Checksum , verify it:
Downloading Problems. Confirming the MD5 Checksum (by poppet)
viewtopic.php?f=6313&t=126465

Uninstalling/Deactivating Prepar3D:
viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=125187

Downloading and Installing Prepar3D:
viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=120676
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Hi
Thanks. Ive been through many of the debugging steps without result yet. I'll keep working. In fact I'm hesitant to mess with a Sim which for the most part runs well and looks great. Two steps forward, one step back it seems.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

aspen31 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:46 pm Hi
Thanks. Ive been through many of the debugging steps without result yet. I'll keep working. In fact I'm hesitant to mess with a Sim which for the most part runs well and looks great. Two steps forward, one step back it seems.
@ aspen31 ,
Warren,

Something recently changed on your setup.

Nvidia Driver version ?
Best Regards,
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Hi again
I had the latest 466.27 (I think that was the number) installed since it became available without error until the last few days. I rolled back to 461.92 which is the last I knew to function without error but it didn't help - exactly the same error at the same time - "disable VR" - black screen and then the error window. I have found the latest Windows 10 update so I'll install it and report - not optimistic that it will help but I can hope I guess. I'm thinking that there is something in my settings that may be causing the problem but i can't find it so far.
Thanks again
Warren
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ aspen31 ,
Warren,

You are welcome.
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Warren,

If the error recurs, you could try turning Enhanced Atmospherics and Bathymetrics off if they are on.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Hello Jorgen
Both are off. I have checked my GPU usage and it seems well within tolerance (4 - 4.4 of 8). The sim is smooth with an FPS of around 27 - 28 with a max of 32 set through the Nvidia control panel. Doesn't matter which aircraft - simple or complicated and I can fly for as long as I wish without a problem unless I try to disable VR and then I receive the error - every time. Puzzling to be sure but at least the sim works for the good part - which is flying. I'll keep looking but I am running out of ideas. I hate to reinstall anything since the Sim currently works well and looks great.
Thanks
Warren
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

aspen31 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:46 pm Hello Jorgen
Both are off. I have checked my GPU usage and it seems well within tolerance (4 - 4.4 of 8). The sim is smooth with an FPS of around 27 - 28 with a max of 32 set through the Nvidia control panel. Doesn't matter which aircraft - simple or complicated and I can fly for as long as I wish without a problem unless I try to disable VR and then I receive the error - every time. Puzzling to be sure but at least the sim works for the good part - which is flying. I'll keep looking but I am running out of ideas. I hate to reinstall anything since the Sim currently works well and looks great.
Thanks
Warren
@ aspen31 ,
Warren,

You could take screenshots of your current Option pages and keep for reference.
Then turn each Option item or slider on each page to Off [unchecked] or Minimum and do a quick test after rebooting the PC.

I set FPS to 29, locked .
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Warren,

I do not use VR so there I am completely blank. The only things I know about VR is that it exists, and that it places high demands on your hardware.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

I've tried running with default settings and I assumed that would be sufficient to mitigate the error but not so - still there. At these settings the Sim is very smooth - close to 30 FPS (set as maximum) but I still get the error. I will reduce everything to 0 or minimum and report
Thanks
Warren
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Hi all
With all add-ons including scenery and Orbx disabled and all sliders set to zero or minimum I receive exactly the same error at the same time when I try to disable VR
(Oculus Rift) - pretty much out of ideas.
Thanks
Warren
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

aspen31 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:50 pm Hi all
With all add-ons including scenery and Orbx disabled and all sliders set to zero or minimum I receive exactly the same error at the same time when I try to disable VR
(Oculus Rift) - pretty much out of ideas.
Thanks
Warren
@ aspen31 ,
Warren,

I will search around but so far you are the only one on this problem ?

Have you seen other reports ?
Best Regards,
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Yes, I did find another post in this forum describing exactly the same problem. I think it was late December or up to a couple of months ago but I didn't save it because there was only a single page of posts and without solution, although there was similar advice which unfortunately didn't work.
I'm thinking about reinstalling or repairing the client portion but for the moment it seems I would be grabbing at straws. I forget what is lost during a reinstall of the Client part but it always seems to be more than I contemplated. I have to remember that this Sim runs fine showing great scenery without any CTDs or any other crash type events. It's only when I try to perform one thing - disable the VR that the problem occurs.
I have read that Oculus Rift causes a power spike which effects P3Dv5 at the time of shutdown and that in fact is what causes the 'hung device" error. That seems to me to be a bit theoretical and not something I want mess with at this stage. I am more of a pilot than computer guru - can't forget that.
Thanks
Warren
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Hi all
Not sure but I may have fixed this issue. I found one of my add-on airports which has a separate land class folder accompanying it and I had the LC folder above the airport folder. I switched them and now no "hung device" error. Why disabling all the add-on air[ports did not fix this I'm not sure hence my hesitancy to conclude that this is fixed but I have flown for perhaps 45 minutes going in an out of VR without any issues. I'll do additional flights to confirm.
After whining all day about the problem and thinking about all sorts of additional work the solution may in fact have been quite simple. Exactly why this occurred is puzzling but it seems there is a lot to be said about the concept of "test and verify"
More to follow I'm sure.
Thanks everyone
Warren