DXGI Hung device error - GTX 1080 - again

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Martyson

Re: DXGI Hung device error - GTX 1080 - again

Post by Martyson »

@ aspen31 ,
Warren,

Amazing you were able to find the land class problem.
Your last test sounds promising.
Looking forward to your final tests results.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

I think "better lucky than good" applies here. I had recently installed this scenery and had used it before but flew awhile with it activated. I was aware that the placement of some scenery can have an impact on the Sim and or on the rendering of the package. I assumed that it was okay and there is some evidence that it was but what I didn't do was specifically leave the Sim running but attempt to disable VR. In any case of I have done another 30 minutes or so without a problem so more testing today.
Thanks for the help
Warren
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Hi all
Several hours into this - an hour of circuits in the F-16 at a complex add-on airport, as well as a couple of local flights in aircraft of reasonable complexity and not a "DXGI Hung Device" error to be found. Increasing confidence that the problem came from a misplaced land class folder supporting an add-on airport. In my case the land class folder was placed above the airport scenery folder in the scenery library and that probably caused the hung device error - or at least that's what I think at the moment. How the two are related I don't know.
More to follow

Warren
rodtod423

Post by rodtod423 »

I've done EVERYTHING possible to eliminate this error. I am so frustrated by it I am seriously considering giving up on P3D forever despite the money I have invested. I may just stay with XP11 or invest in MSFS. It has become pathetic.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

rodtod423 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 pm I've done EVERYTHING possible to eliminate this error. I am so frustrated by it I am seriously considering giving up on P3D forever despite the money I have invested. I may just stay with XP11 or invest in MSFS. It has become pathetic.
@rodtod423 ,

Have you reinstalled p3d and tested in a default state?
Best Regards,
rodtod423

Post by rodtod423 »

Yes.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

rodtod423 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 pmYes.
@rodtod423 ,

Is your P3D install in a default state right now?

You had not previously reported this problem.
Did it just start in the last few days?
Best Regards,
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

I'm sure you have already done these things but if applicable have you considered the Nvidia drivers? The latest seems to run okay for me but I observed very little performance difference between it and 461.92.
Does the crash occur on startup, close to the opening page of P3D or at some other time. If you have read through this entire blog you might note that my crash occurred only when attempting to disable Oculus Rift and most likely that turned out to be an add-on scenery layer issue where a land class folder was placed above the associated add on scenery folder. Hard to see the relationship there but I'm all but convinced that was the issue. Incidentally prior to my discovery about scenery layering I had disabled all my add-ons including Orbx and moved all my sliders to zero or minimum and still experienced the same crash - no significant errors were recorded in the P3D error log.
My next step would have been to try re-installing or repairing the client portion which I had to do several weeks ago - fortunately I didn't get there.
If you can detect what error or errors are showing after the crash and note it on this forum one of the gurus may be able to help you.
Hope this helps if only a bit.

Warren (aspen31)
rodtod423

Post by rodtod423 »

My issues seem to be very random. I have not been able to find a pattern. Some days I cannot use the sim due to the errors. For some reason today was a good day. Same flight , same plane, no errors. Yesterday, there was no way I could complete a flight. Its just that random.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

rodtod423 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:35 am My issues seem to be very random. I have not been able to find a pattern. Some days I cannot use the sim due to the errors. For some reason today was a good day. Same flight , same plane, no errors. Yesterday, there was no way I could complete a flight. Its just that random.
@rodtod423 ,

Is your PC clean [filters/fans etc] and not overheating?
Best Regards,
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Hello all
After about a week of trouble free, error free running in P3Dv5.1 I am once again receiving the DXGI_Hung-error after disabling Oculus Rift S. Until that time the sim has run well with settings and sliders set above medium with no CTDs or other failures. Frame rates are fine and the GPU does not seemed "Pushed". I accomplished most debugging steps in earlier efforts. I have all the latest windows 10 updates and the latest Nvidia driver. During the attempts last week I found a scenery layer issue which after fixing it seemed to allow the sim to run well without the error and subsequent closing of the sim. Not so now. This failure happens consistently when I attempt disable Oculus. One simple and one complex airplane has been added so I will disable these and see what occurs. I suspect there is some issue between the sim and Oculus but I have no idea what that might be. I'll continue to test and report any results.
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Hello again all
I might add that during and after this error window the sim appears to still be running but the screen is black - sounds are present but no visuals and nothing can be selected. It seems no corrective action can be taking - the only option is to close the program and start again.
xtremepro67

Post by xtremepro67 »

It is unfortunate that this issue has not yet been resolved after so many months – with the community of users and developers still waiting for some definitive answers.

Just in case this might help:

As a developer, we have made some tests on four different computers over the past week and obtained mixed results (see our conclusion below). All computers were running the latest Windows 10 build, the same latest version of DirectX 12, and the same latest NVIDIA “studio” graphics driver – we also tried the “game ready” driver. All computers had “clean” P3D installations with no special hardware and no third-party addons or sceneries installed.

A simple test we performed in order to reproduce the issue was to switch views after loading the stock Fury 1500 UAV that shipped with P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5.x. The DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error occurs when switching from the first HUD camera view to the next view using the “S” or "A" keys. The P3D window becomes all black, with a dialog in the middle that displays the now too familiar message:

“This device (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090) stopped working for the following reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. Do you want to exit Prepar3D?”

Here are the results from our tests:

Computer 1: Dell Alienware Aurora 12 Desktop (i9, RTX 3090, Windows 10 Pro, DX12)
Prepar3D v5.1.12.26829 HF1: Prepar3D crashes to desktop after showing the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG message.
Prepar3D v4.5.14.34689: No issue.

Computer 2: Dell Alienware M17 R4 Laptop (i9, RTX 3080, Windows 10 Home, DX12)
Prepar3D v5.1.12.26829 HF1: No issue.
Prepar3D v4.5.14.34689: Not tested.

Computer 3: Dell XPS 8500 Desktop (i7, GTX 1080 Ti, Windows 10 Pro, DX12)
Prepar3D v5.1.12.26829 HF1: Prepar3D crashes to desktop after showing the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG message.

Computer 4: MSI GE63 Raider Laptop (i7, GTX 1070, Windows 10 Home, DX12)
Prepar3D v5.1.12.26829 HF1: Not tested

In all fairness, we did not encounter issues (so far) in P3Dv5.1 HF1 when switching views with other vehicles than the Fury 1500 loaded, contrary to what other users have reported in this forum. We even tested our own Gates Learjet 25, a complex add-on aircraft, without problems. It must be noted that the two HUD camera views of the Fury 1500 that comes with Prepar3D use new Scaleform gauges. There might be an issue with this type of gauges on some systems, and the problem might be limited to this aircraft alone, at least for us.

Our preliminary conclusions:

Though we still need to push our tests further, especially comparing both versions of P3D under both Windows Pro and Windows Home editions, our preliminary results indicate an issue with P3Dv5.x1 HF1 on two of our systems for a reason still unknown.

No issue was reported when running P3Dv4.5.

On the most powerful gaming machine we have tested (the Alienware Aurora 12), we encountered no DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG issue when running P3Dv4.5. However, P3Dv5.1 HF1 crashed to desktop when switching aircraft views (with the procedure described above) – on the same PC!

Why would P3Dv5.1 HF1 crash while P3Dv4.5 won’t while repeating the same procedures with the same aircraft on the same PC with the same configuration?

Also, we do not understand why we are having no issue when running P3Dv5.1 HF1 on the Alienware M17 R4 laptop, a high-end gaming computer with similar features as the Aurora 12. The main differences between the two machines are the graphics card (RTX 3080 vs RTX 3090) and the version of Windows 10 (Home vs Pro). Both machines had their OS and graphics driver up to date, both are using the same NVIDIA graphics driver and the same version of DirectX.

Looks like some PCs are allergic to something in P3Dv5.1 HF1.
Alain Rouleau
Lead Designer and Producer
Xtreme Prototypes, Inc.
Montreal (Canada)
aspen31

Post by aspen31 »

Hello Alain
Thanks for the comprehensive test information.
I have been receiving a consistent "DEVICE_HUNG" error when attempting to "disable" Oculus Rift S. Aside from that the Sim (P3Dv5.1) runs consistently without error.
A week ago I found a scenery layer issue of my own making and after fixing that the "DEVICE_HUNG" error stopped occurring. After a week of error free operation it started to appear aging so i had to conclude that it was not or at least not completely the scenery layer problem. Since then Ive been grabbing at straws - really just looking for any possible information which might help mitigate this issue. I tried a suggestion from a You-tube P3D guru about adjusting the refresh rate in the Nvidia Control Panel. My system was set at 1080P, 1920 x 1080 (native), resolution rate at 60HZ. My options in changing the refresh rate are 60, 59 or 50HZ and I changes this from 60HZ to 50HZ and so far the HUNG_APP error has disappeared. I have no confidence that this is the definitive solution but I have spent the last few hours enabling and disabling the Oculus VR (the only time this event occurs for me) and the error has not returned.
I will continue to test and report unless I get frustrated enough to give up and start needle work classes.