P3D 2.4: vertical clouds

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Rob Ainscough

Postby Rob Ainscough » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Rob,

FSX SimConnect is not required, LM have their own managed SimConnect built into P3D. The existence of FSX SimConnect is only for products that will not work with the built in managed SimConnect. P3D "as is" clouds/weather do not require SimConnect.

Your wipe OS and re-install everything is probably not necessary and unrelated. However, since some folks have clearly discussed "different" versions of Cloud.fx and Cloud2.fx they have, it might be prudent for those folks to wipe/uninstall P3D v2.4 (making sure everything is gone) and re-install P3D v2.4 from scratch ... some folks appear to not have the Cloud.fx and Cloud2.fx files that are part of the base v2.4 install (perhaps they went thru and update route and modified them hence they didn't get updated with v2.4 patch).

I have seen the "parting of the ways" clouds that others have reported, but overall this new Cloud.fx is an improvement since it has removed the vertical clouds. Is this solution perfect? No, but IMHO it is better ... I think we're about 65/35 for in favor of this adjustment. The "parting of the ways" is most notable when rapidly moving in or out of a cloud layers -- also cloud type, and cloud add-on textures used will have an influence.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough

robvanderwiele

Postby robvanderwiele » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your explanation, I'm just glad that for me the re-install worked out. I was not sure if this could have anything to do with it.

Thanks,
Rob

vgbaron

Postby vgbaron » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Robains - I think it really depends on the type of flying you do. Flying under "normal" cloud conditions is not as annoying. For those that specifically fly IFR for either practice or fun may have a differing opinion. The majority of my flights are IFR so you can guess where my preferences lie. As I said in an earlier post, I would venture a serious guess that LM's commercial accounts who use P3D for instrument proficiency will have a problem.

Most important - I know the Team is aware of the issues and will ultimately track them down so I'm not upset in the least. AS it stands right now, P3D is still the best out there, bar none.

Vic

Medtner

Postby Medtner » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:00 pm

For me the fix removed the wafer-clouds on the side and the rotating when moving my head with TrackIR, but they now roate away from the aircraft when trying to fly through them. The video above with the Piper Cherokee trying to fly IFR is a good example.

This is not acceptable, and this has gone on for too long. I think it is time that LM spend more time on fixing important issues like this and less on the eye candy. If this is to be regarded as a proffessional simulator I believe that one can expect a balance in favour of realism.

gauciolr

Postby gauciolr » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:14 am

thanks Bob but does not work well for me ....
I do not see clouds rotating but now I see clouds that open in front of me when I pass

I prefer to get into the clouds and see some strange cloud rotate ridiculous

curbz

Postby curbz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:55 am

Did a complete fresh uninstall/install of 2.4 (deleted all traces of previous install) and problem still exists.

Gone back to 2.3 cloud.fx as like others I would rather be able to fly into cloud and will just have to put up with the spinning caused by any form of view panning whether it be track-ir or hat switch.

I switched from FSX to P3D after version 2.1 was released, so never experienced v1.4 - just curious, has p3d always suffered cloud problems or just v2.x?

Kosta

Postby Kosta » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 pm

It started with v2.x. I don't know if it was 2.0 or subsequent, but definitely started appearing in V2 and was not present in V1.x.

nemo06

Postby nemo06 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:09 pm

v1.4 was perfect.
The problems started with v2.3 and enhanced with the v2.4.

colang

Postby colang » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:12 am

Same here.
I installed and tested yesterday the new file; no more vertical clouds but now all clouds keep escaping away from my plane.
For me too it's impossible to fly through a cloud layer.
I restored the saved file for now, waiting for the real fix.

cabby44

Postby cabby44 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:49 pm

I too restored my old cloud.fx file. Don't like the flat vertical clouds but the clouds with this "fix" spinning away as you entered is worse. Need a real fix for this.

C.

pilotter

Postby pilotter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:23 am

tested as well. flat verticals are gone, but indeed clouds are sort of running away. Meaning you can'fly through them.

Rob Ainscough

Postby Rob Ainscough » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Have patients and you'll be rewarded.

To be clear, there is nothing in the purchase of P3D that guarantees any level of support in any time frame. If you are not aware, please read your EULA.

However, with that said LM do listen and have provided updates. If folks continue with posts about demanding support within a certain period of time, I will remove those posts. Continued abuse and I'll recommend a ban.

This forum is NOT about getting LM to do things for you on your schedule. It is a community forum for helping each other out and is also a way for LM to gauge feedback. By all means report your findings and how they do or don't work for you, but any continued "demanding" type of posts will be removed and user warned.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough

Zach Heylmun

Postby Zach Heylmun » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Locking this thread, a topic has been stickied with the fix and instructions on how to apply it.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”