Extreme wind shifting in P3d V5.1 HF1

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
davidzill

Extreme wind shifting in P3d V5.1 HF1

Post by davidzill »

Hello, I am experiencing a peculiar issue in P3d V5.1 HF1. While flying an the Leonardo Software MD-83, I noticed the aircraft was having a difficult time flying autopilot heading hold, tracking a localizer, and flying an Autoland. Basically, although I had selected 'Clear weather,' the aircraft was behaving as if it was fighting both left and right gusting crosswinds, constantly rolling 5 degrees left and right about its longitudinal axis.

I contacted Leonardo developers who were quick to assist. I trouble shot further using PMDG's NGXu, and noticed the turn line was flopping left and right, indicative of severe wind gusts from both the left and right. In other aircraft as well.

I have Active Sky P3D, and it was turned off. EA turned on. Interesting as well when I select clear weather, several stratus clouds remain.

Based on this happening in multiple aircraft, I do not believe this is a bug from a 3rd party developer, I think it is an issue organic to the P3D software.

Is this a known issue, and if so what is the fix for it? Thank you!
Martyson

Re: Extreme wind shifting in P3d V5.1 HF1

Post by Martyson »

davidzill wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:06 pm Hello, I am experiencing a peculiar issue in P3d V5.1 HF1. While flying an the Leonardo Software MD-83, I noticed the aircraft was having a difficult time flying autopilot heading hold, tracking a localizer, and flying an Autoland. Basically, although I had selected 'Clear weather,' the aircraft was behaving as if it was fighting both left and right gusting crosswinds, constantly rolling 5 degrees left and right about its longitudinal axis.

I contacted Leonardo developers who were quick to assist. I trouble shot further using PMDG's NGXu, and noticed the turn line was flopping left and right, indicative of severe wind gusts from both the left and right. In other aircraft as well.

I have Active Sky P3D, and it was turned off. EA turned on. Interesting as well when I select clear weather, several stratus clouds remain.

Based on this happening in multiple aircraft, I do not believe this is a bug from a 3rd party developer, I think it is an issue organic to the P3D software.

@ davidzill ,

Did autoland work with PMDGNGXu (which one?)?

Did you disconnect the Autopilot and hand fly ?

Is it reproducible?

Which airport?
Which approach?

Any screenshots of the PMDG PFD / ND during the approach (wind data)?

What was the ATIS report prior to the approach?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
davidzill

Post by davidzill »

Yes, ATIS Wind calm, sky clear, 29.92. Although there were clouds. Autoland did work on NGXu, as well as MD-83, however MD-83 behaved as if the winds were stronger. This occured at Flightbeam's KDEN, however happens at all airports. This was the ILS 35L @ KDEN. Select clear weather. No wind data on PFD. This happens every time I fly no matter the aircraft.

Martyson wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:16 pm
davidzill wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:06 pm Hello, I am experiencing a peculiar issue in P3d V5.1 HF1. While flying an the Leonardo Software MD-83, I noticed the aircraft was having a difficult time flying autopilot heading hold, tracking a localizer, and flying an Autoland. Basically, although I had selected 'Clear weather,' the aircraft was behaving as if it was fighting both left and right gusting crosswinds, constantly rolling 5 degrees left and right about its longitudinal axis.

@ davidzill ,

Did autoland work with PMDGNGXu (which one?)?

Did you disconnect the Autopilot and hand fly ?

Is it reproducible?

Which airport?
Which approach?

Any screenshots of the PMDG PFD / ND during the approach (wind data)?

What was the ATIS report prior to the approach?
I have screen shots of the MD-83 on approach with no wind data
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ davidzill ,

I have FB KDEN and PMDGNGXu

Did the P3DgNGXu have the strong wind problems?

Which PMDGNGXu were you using?

When I use EA On and then select Clear Skies there are no clouds.
Are you sure about your setup?

I am going to do a test now.
Best Regards,
davidzill

Post by davidzill »

Yes, when in the NGXu there were winds and scatters clouds with clear weather set. Let me know what happens on your flight. At this point my sim is unflyable. I used the NGXu 800SWu
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

davidzill wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 pm Yes, when in the NGXu there were winds and scatters clouds with clear weather set. Let me know what happens on your flight. At this point my sim is unflyable. I used the NGXu 800SWu
@ davidzill ,

KDTW-ILS4R-EA-On-CLRSKY-ok

F22 APR Engaged

LOC captured and G/S ok all the way down no wind problems

For your setup:
The General Debugging Steps are here for your review:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246

Uninstalling/Deactivating Prepar3D:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=125187

Downloading and Installing Prepar3D:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=120676

APR screenshot:

Best Regards,
AndiKunzi

Post by AndiKunzi »

You might display the wind on the top status line, like Vaughan did.
Then you can see if it is wind shifts.
Pilot licenses: CPL, IRI, C510 (SP), MEP, CRI SEP
P3D V5 Pro
i9-10900K, RTX 3090, Z490A Pro, 32 GB (3600 MHz, CL_16-16-16-36)
SSD: M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus (2 TB) + M.2 (1 TB)
water cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro + MO-RA3 420 LT, Display: Panasonic 58“ 4K
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ davidzill ,

Could you post the screenshots you did?

A video of one of your approaches?

Did you try the KDTW approach with clear sky as I did in the default LM F22 (my previous post)?
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ davidzill ,

What did PMDG and FSUIPC (mentioned in another post) have to say?

Did they duplicate / confirm your problem?
Best Regards,
davidzill

Post by davidzill »

Apologies for my delayed response. I found the source to the above issues: Ezdock EZCA camera turbulence effects. So this took time to find this, and everyone should disable turbulence effects in the EZCA control panel. Basically, in order to simulate turbulence effects, EZCA actually manipulates the controls of the aircraft, which causes all sorts of issues: Flying out of trim, s-turning when tracking a localizer, etc.