V sync at lower screen refreshing rate completely eliminates stuttering

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
FlyIce

Postby FlyIce » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:24 am

I knew that someone already reported this trick but I only gave it try today since I just discovered that my 50" LG plasma could be set to refresh rate @60Hz, 30Hz and 24Hz in Nvidia control panel.

I set the plasma display to 24Hz and turned "V Sync" and "Triple buffering" on in P3D and I got silk smooth flight. The best I ever seen. I also played with Vsync settings in Nvidia Inspector but I don't think it did anything noticeable.

Now P3D only stutters if the fps can not be maintained close to 24fps, in that case I just have to lower the graphics setting to get the smoothness back.

Hippo

Postby Hippo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:36 am

Agreed. I run at unlimited fps, vsync on and triple buffering on. As long as the system can maintain 60 fps (my screen's native refresh), then the sim remains perfectly fluid. This is the only way I've ever been able to completely eliminate stutters. Unfortunately, for me to consistently get 60 fps = simple aircraft, no (or very few) clouds.

Have never tried bringing the screen refresh itself down, will give this a try and see how it goes - thanks for posting.

nemo06

Postby nemo06 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:49 am

Quote:

Quote from FlyIce on August 30, 2014, 01:24

I knew that someone already reported this trick but I only gave it try today since I just discovered that my 50" LG plasma could be set to refresh rate @60Hz, 30Hz and 24Hz in Nvidia control panel.

I set the plasma display to 24Hz and turned "V Sync" and "Triple buffering" on in P3D and I got silk smooth flight. The best I ever seen. I also played with Vsync settings in Nvidia Inspector but I don't think it did anything noticeable.

Now P3D only stutters if the fps can not be maintained close to 24fps, in that case I just have to lower the graphics setting to get the smoothness back.

I agree.

It is the only trick that I used in 2.2 and now in 2.3.

Pity that my monitor has as minimum refresh rate 50Hz.

FlyIce

Postby FlyIce » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:31 pm

So here might be another great advantage of using a TV as a FSX/P3D monitor. Besides big screen sizes, some TVs are designed to run at native 24Hz rate. Luckily as I just found out my LG plasma is one of them.

Hippo

Postby Hippo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:01 am

I tried at 30 Hz, and it works in that P3D syncs and runs at 30Hz, but for some reason I then get stutters. I do have a 2nd monitor, which won't go below 60 Hz so this could have something to do with it.

However, after more time examining this, I notice that am getting (very occasional) stutters even at 60Hz. And I can't help thinking that it doesn't feel quite as smooth and fluid as I remember it on 2.2 (probably just my memory, as I've been away from P3D 2.2 for a while). Awww no, now I'm going to have to reinstall 2.2 to check... No, on second thoughts think I'll just have a beer and chill out instead.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”