NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 stopped working DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
PurdueKev

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 stopped working DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by PurdueKev »

I am not getting crashes as consistently with HF1 (before it was anytime the ATC window was open, like clockwork I would get the DXGI error), but have had a DXGI error and then last night was the sim just a vanilla CTD. I am on a Titan Xp, latest drivers, 8700k.

Don't really appreciate paying to be a beta tester here...
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

PurdueKev wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:51 pm I am not getting crashes as consistently with HF1 (before it was anytime the ATC window was open, like clockwork I would get the DXGI error), but have had a DXGI error and then last night was the sim just a vanilla CTD. I am on a Titan Xp, latest drivers, 8700k.

Does vanilla CTD mean no Add-on installed?

What were you flying / doing ?

Is it repeatable?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a relationship between AA and something, what I don't know, causing this error. I'm wondering because I can run the sim on 4xmsaa or 2xssaa. When I change to either 8xmsaa or 4xssaa I immediately get device hung. Texture size doesn't matter as long as I have the vram as I've run at 512, 1024, 2048 with no issues. I'm running an older card, 970 with 4gb and the latest driver.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
joefackel

Post by joefackel »

Sabre57 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:41 am I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a relationship between AA and something, what I don't know, causing this error. I'm wondering because I can run the sim on 4xmsaa or 2xssaa. When I change to either 8xmsaa or 4xssaa I immediately get device hung. Texture size doesn't matter as long as I have the vram as I've run at 512, 1024, 2048 with no issues. I'm running an older card, 970 with 4gb and the latest driver.
Turning up AA is much more work for your GPU, when you then get an DEVICE_HUNG its just too much for your hardware. You say you have an older card, the 970 came out end of 2014, likely your GPU has degraded over the years and thats causing hardware errors triggering the drivercrash.
System: 9900k - 32GB - 1080ti

Sim: P3D v5, ORBX Global, openLC, AS4 + SF3D, EZDOK3, ProSIM 737, GSX2, AIM OIC, PATC
PurdueKev

Post by PurdueKev »

Martyson wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 pm
PurdueKev wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:51 pm I am not getting crashes as consistently with HF1 (before it was anytime the ATC window was open, like clockwork I would get the DXGI error), but have had a DXGI error and then last night was the sim just a vanilla CTD. I am on a Titan Xp, latest drivers, 8700k.

Is it repeatable?
It is with Orbx Global and openLC, and using the latest update of the F1 GTN after the hotfix. Sorry, I should have been more precise for debugging purposes, as "vanilla" is not default (although it is pretty much a common group of addons, and arguably P3D needs Orbx Base and OpenLC as a bare minimum to look at all like a modern flight sim).

The common thread seems to be when windows or gauge popups are open. Before the hotfix was with the ATC window alone open, though that has gone away after the hotfix. But each of the last two was with popups open (once for F1 GTN, once for default instrument) and trying to access menus at he same time.
PurdueKev

Post by PurdueKev »

joefackel wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:40 am
Sabre57 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:41 am I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a relationship between AA and something, what I don't know, causing this error. I'm wondering because I can run the sim on 4xmsaa or 2xssaa. When I change to either 8xmsaa or 4xssaa I immediately get device hung. Texture size doesn't matter as long as I have the vram as I've run at 512, 1024, 2048 with no issues. I'm running an older card, 970 with 4gb and the latest driver.
Turning up AA is much more work for your GPU, when you then get an DEVICE_HUNG its just too much for your hardware. You say you have an older card, the 970 came out end of 2014, likely your GPU has degraded over the years and thats causing hardware errors triggering the drivercrash.
And what about the users with the latest hardware who are still getting the same errors?
DrumsArt

Post by DrumsArt »

Same problem here, a problem I've never encountered before.
-I'm not using the ATC window.
-GPU not over clocked.

For the moment (fingers crossed) the only thing that seems to have temporarily "solved" the problem for me (waiting for a fix) is to get back down from a version of the video driver.

I went back to the Nvidia Studio driver 442.19. Since then, I don't get this error message anymore (subject, of course).

If it helps, I noticed that with the most recent version of the driver (442.92), when I encountered the problem, Open Harware Monitor showed a 100% spike/peak in the Core GPU for a short while, I mean the Core GPU and not the Memory GPU.

Thank you and Regards,

Richard.
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz HT Off|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB|M16GB DDR3|W10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|P3Dv5.
Wilvanluyn

Post by Wilvanluyn »

Update. HF1 looks like it fixed the ATC window DEVICE HUNG ERROR. Flew all day max settings no issues. But with a fix there is a broke... Few times saw cars and road traffic in the sky.... Start up at gates soon as scenario loads automatic crash. So I have to start up at a cargo parking area. Some airports road traffic is crossing the runways. KJFK is one of those airports. Fresh install. No add ons

Wil
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

PurdueKev wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:46 pm
Martyson wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 pm

Is it repeatable?
It is with Orbx Global and openLC, and using the latest update of the F1 GTN after the hotfix. Sorry, I should have been more precise for debugging purposes, as "vanilla" is not default (although it is pretty much a common group of addons, and arguably P3D needs Orbx Base and OpenLC as a bare minimum to look at all like a modern flight sim).

The common thread seems to be when windows or gauge popups are open. Before the hotfix was with the ATC window alone open, though that has gone away after the hotfix. But each of the last two was with popups open (once for F1 GTN, once for default instrument) and trying to access menus at he same time.
I have not installed any (except FSUIPC6) Add-ons for P3Dv5HF1.

As for F1 GTN good to know they have an update out.
I was last still reading of problems with the F1 GTN and F1 G600 in P3Dv4.5HF2 and now there is P3Dv4.5HF3?

Maybe Uninstall the F1 GTN and scenery products to see if the basic P3Dv5 is running ok.
P3Dv5HF1 is ok on my setup.

Have you contacted your Add-on developers?
Best Regards,
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

PurdueKev wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:48 pm
joefackel wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:40 am
And what about the users with the latest hardware who are still getting the same errors?
Well I certainly did not communicate effectively with my post. 8ms is between 4ms and 2ss. Not sure why the card would crash between them. And what I should have said was I was wondering if there's a driver issue.
Cheers.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
joefackel

Post by joefackel »

PurdueKev wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:48 pm ...
DEVICE_HUNGS can be caused by many errors, old hardware ist just one. Google it, the range goes from overheating, unstable or to weak PSU's, overclocked hardware ..... you can suffer in MANY apps from it. From time to time you can "fix" it by editing the TDLR setting in the registry, but thats only a workaround IMO.

Heck, a few weeks ago i had it in "Citites: Skylines" and my hardware is around 1 year old.
System: 9900k - 32GB - 1080ti

Sim: P3D v5, ORBX Global, openLC, AS4 + SF3D, EZDOK3, ProSIM 737, GSX2, AIM OIC, PATC
EmpireKicking

Post by EmpireKicking »

joefackel wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 pm
PurdueKev wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:48 pm ...
DEVICE_HUNGS can be caused by many errors, old hardware ist just one. Google it, the range goes from overheating, unstable or to weak PSU's, overclocked hardware ..... you can suffer in MANY apps from it. From time to time you can "fix" it by editing the TDLR setting in the registry, but thats only a workaround IMO.

Heck, a few weeks ago i had it in "Citites: Skylines" and my hardware is around 1 year old.
Only get the error when flying the drone LOL rest of the time works
CPU:i7-10700K 5.3GHz STORAGE:1.5TB SSD, 3TB HDD MB:Asus ROG Strix Z490-E GPU:1660TI 6gb OC Edition RAM:32GB DDR4 3200Mhz Vengeance
StephaneS

Post by StephaneS »

Last edited by StephaneS on Wed May 13, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

StephaneS wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:25 am Hello, since the Nvidia v445.87, the Image Sharpening is not working anymore, and for you ?
Is it causing a device Hung (what this topic is about) on your P3D flight?
Best Regards,
YaBoi69420

Post by YaBoi69420 »

I just had the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error 3 hours into a flight with the PMDG 747-400. Happened when changing between wing views. The sim had been fine for the entire flight with under 4GB of VRAM usage.

Specs:
i7-8700k
RTX 2070 Super
16GB DDR4

It's happened to me a few times now. I never had this crash in Prepar3D v4 so this is certainly a v5 issue. I didn't use the ATC panel or anything.