Addon installation causing P3D to Launch

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
bobr

Addon installation causing P3D to Launch

Post by bobr »

So this is a strange issue that's been happening for the last month and I can't pin it down.

Simply put, whenever I install an addon -- whether it's an airport, an aircraft, or anything else that registers itself through an addon.xml file -- P3D automatically launches. This interferes with the installation process; I have to terminate P3D (via process lasso) in order for the addon installation to complete.

This seems to happen when the addon is attempting to add the .xml file. The same is true of uninstalls for addons and removing the .xml file. Addons that install directly to the scenery.cfg don't seem to cause this issue.

I can still manually get everything where it needs to be and there are no detectable issues within Prepar3D, so it's not prohibiting me from using anything, but it would be great to get to the bottom of it and keep it from happening.

This is not specific to any one addon.

If anybody has suggestions or knows exactly what's causing this, I'm grateful to receive your assistance.

Thanks.
P3D5.1
Martyson

Re: Addon installation causing P3D to Launch

Post by Martyson »

bobr wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:29 pm So this is a strange issue that's been happening for the last month and I can't pin it down.

Simply put, whenever I install an addon -- whether it's an airport, an aircraft, or anything else that registers itself through an addon.xml file -- P3D automatically launches. This interferes with the installation process; I have to terminate P3D (via process lasso) in order for the addon installation to complete.

This seems to happen when the addon is attempting to add the .xml file. The same is true of uninstalls for addons and removing the .xml file. Addons that install directly to the scenery.cfg don't seem to cause this issue.

I can still manually get everything where it needs to be and there are no detectable issues within Prepar3D, so it's not prohibiting me from using anything, but it would be great to get to the bottom of it and keep it from happening.

This is not specific to any one addon.

If anybody has suggestions or knows exactly what's causing this, I'm grateful to receive your assistance.

Thanks.
Ok,
Problem just for past month.

"Simply put, whenever I install an addon -- whether it's an airport, an aircraft, or anything else that registers itself through an addon.xml file -- P3D automatically launches."

Which Add-ons / payware designed for P3D?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
bobr

Post by bobr »

I first noticed this problem when updating the Aerosoft Airbus packages, but they don't necessarily seem to be the cause. Maybe there was an issue when uninstalling the outdated versions I was replacing, but no idea if that's the case.

I did check with Aerosoft on their forums. They tried to reproduce, but to no avail.

This problem is not specific to any one addon. Just today, I've been updating the ImagineSim scenery packages (KATL, WSSS, KAUS) and during each one something triggered P3D to launch. Yesterday, I updated Flightbeam's KPDX and the same thing happened there. Always during the "add to library" part of the installation process.

With Orbx products, I still have Central set up to install into the P3Dv4 root folder, rather than migrating the libraries. So these install to the scenery.cfg. No issues there when updating or installing.

Something is triggering P3D to launch when the command to add an .xml file is sent.
P3D5.1
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"This problem is not specific to any one addon. Just today, I've been updating the ImagineSim scenery packages (KATL,"

I have that airport also.

Why were you updating it?
Best Regards,
bobr

Post by bobr »

The version of KATL I had installed was pretty outdated (pre PBR). I had been putting the update off for quite some time.
P3D5.1
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

bobr wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:20 pm The version of KATL I had installed was pretty outdated (pre PBR). I had been putting the update off for quite some time.
To help fix many of your current problems / updates:
You could run through all the General Debugging Steps :
viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246
Best Regards,
bobr

Post by bobr »

I may end up doing this at some point, but for now I'm still looking for a more direct solution in the hopes that somebody else has had this happen and possibly found a fix. Going through that list will take quite a bit of time.
P3D5.1
FSTramp

Post by FSTramp »

I do not know a solution but the start of the simulator is wanted. The setup program of an add-on can make the add-on known to the P3D via command line. The setup program starts P3D invisibly, passes a command line and after processing the command line P3D terminates. But don't ask me for the details.
bobr

Post by bobr »

I'm familiar with certain addons running an "add to library" command, but I've never seen any that actually launch the sim in the process.

I'm sure there's some tool available that would allow me to see what command is being sent, triggering the launch. I just have no idea what that would be.
P3D5.1
bobr

Post by bobr »

Just to wrap this one up and for the benefit of others: Simply running the system file checker tool took care of this problem for me -- sfc /scannow
P3D5.1
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Glad to hear your problem is resolved.
Best Regards,