P3DV4 crashes and shuts down on view change

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
WKWilliam59

P3DV4 crashes and shuts down on view change

Post by WKWilliam59 »

Hi

I have an issue with P3DV4 crashing and shutting down on view change. This issue has only occurred in the past week (I have run P3DV4 for over a year with no issues).

I run P3DV4, ProSim, Active Sky, REX and software to run various hardware.

The shutdown does not occur every time I change the views. Typically it will occur after about an hour into the flight, I will press a button on my joystick to cycle the view. I then see a black screen followed by P3DV4 shutdown.

I am wondering if it is a display setting/bug? I have also had an error message occasionally when I boot up P3DV4 saying:
"Prepar3D requires a minimum display resolution of 1024 x 720", The resolution of my display is actually 5040x1050, produced with three monitors set in NVIDIA Surround. The message box asks me if I wish to change the resolution. When I seclect yes another menu box appears containing DeskTop Icons. On checking my resolution in NVIDIA control panel is shows 5040x1050.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Kevin
Martyson

Re: P3DV4 crashes and shuts down on view change

Post by Martyson »

Kevin,

What information is in the Windows Event viewer (Faulting Module Name / screenshot below) for your last couple crashes?

Three Monitors:
Just go back to a single monitor for testing.

Note:
The General Debugging steps are here:
viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
WKWilliam59

Post by WKWilliam59 »

Hello Vaughan

Many thanks for your swift reply. I attach 3 error logs. Two are from this evening (28 January). P3DV4 crashed and shutdown at around 20:11.

The other error log is from 27 January.

The log seems to refer to the VA Interface (Virtual Avionics). This application allows my MCP and EFIS hardware to work.

I have had this application and other things not load first time or drop out during flight before, but I don't think P3D has shutdown. If the VA interface crashes, then usually the hardware MCP becomes unresponsive. Not sure if this has happened, how it would cause P3D to shutdown? I cannot see any error with P3D showing around that time.

In trying to resolve the issue, last night after the crash, I found an update for the Nvidia display driver, which I installed, this did not solve my problem.

I will check that I have the latest Nvidia Graphics drivers installed from the GE Force site and follow advice on running on one monitor to locate the issue.

Thanks

Regards

Kevin

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... ns7PJeOP_6

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... FikwxTrTf4

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... SDjAO9s8hX
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Kevin.

"The log seems to refer to the VA Interface (Virtual Avionics). This application allows my MCP and EFIS hardware to work."

I quit using VA Interface because of constant disconnects / drop-outs etc. / lot of failed (tech support) testing .
I now use Remote CDU on my setup without problems.

Your attachments did not work for me.

How to post screenshots (by Kayla):
viewtopic.php?f=6313&t=122277
Best Regards,
WKWilliam59

Post by WKWilliam59 »

Hi Vaughan

Thanks for your reply. I did read Kayla's instruction before I posted the images. However I used Google Photos and when right clicking on the image, there was no "copy image location", just copy link. I then tried to paste this link between the two brackets, but I could not see any image on preview. I then found by not using the image button and just pasting the link into the bottom of the message, I could then see the image on Preview after clicking on the text. I think I now understand that the images should be viewable in Preview without having to click the link. I will try and resend tomorrow.

Thanks

Regards

Kevin
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Kevin,

Kayla used Imgur dot com

Try one of your photos there and use her procedure.
See if it works or not.
Best Regards,
WKWilliam59

Post by WKWilliam59 »

Hi Vaughan / All

Thanks for your advice. I did sign up to Imgur but had some difficulty in uploading the images. The current version of the software is different. I used a tab in Imgur for uploading to Forums, pasted the text between the brackets on the Forum page, but in preview the image was not visible.

However I think that I have now solved my problem.

I have carried out further investigation. I found that the P3D crash and shutdown generally occurred at around the same point in the flight (LJLJ to LGKR).

I then looked at my scenery library in P3D and found the following ordering:

1: VFR Slovenia (for take off at LJLJ)
2 Fly Tampa Corfu (for landing at LGKR)
3 onwards: Various Orbx scenery for Europe/England
16: Fly Tampa Corfu LC
17: Fly Tampa Libraries
18 on: Other Scenery including P3D Base

The above shows that Fly Tampa scenery is split between position 2 and position 16/17. I changed the ordering as below:

3: Fly Tampa Corfu LC
4: Fly Tampa Libraries
5 onwards: Various Orbx scenery for Europe/England

As well as changing the scenery ordering, I disabled scenery that was not relevant to the flight.

My thoughts are that with the original scenery ordering, when I changed the view quickly, the relevant scenery was not able to be picked up quickly enough because it was much lower down the priority list and P3D then crashed and shutdown. Does this seem a viable explanation?

I have done this flight 3 times since with no issue. I will in future take more care before a flight in ordering the scenery.

Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

Regards

Kevin
WKWilliam59

Post by WKWilliam59 »

Hi Vaughan / All

Thanks for your advice. I did sign up to Imgur but had some difficulty in uploading the images. The current version of the software is different. I used a tab in Imgur for uploading to Forums, pasted the text between the brackets on the Forum page, but in preview the image was not visible.

However I think that I have now solved my problem.

I have carried out further investigation. I found that the P3D crash and shutdown generally occurred at around the same point in the flight (LJLJ to LGKR).

I then looked at my scenery library in P3D and found the following ordering:

3 onwards: Various Orbx scenery for Europe/England
16: Fly Tampa Corfu LC
17: Fly Tampa Libraries

The above shows that Fly Tampa scenery is split between position 2 and position 16/17. I changed the ordering as below:

3: Fly Tampa Corfu LC
4: Fly Tampa Libraries
5 onwards: Various Orbx scenery for Europe/England

As well as changing the scenery ordering, I disabled scenery that was not relevant to the flight.

My thoughts are that with the original scenery ordering, when I changed the view quickly, the relevant scenery was not able to be picked up quickly enough because it was much lower down the priority list and P3D then crashed and shutdown. Does this seem a viable explanation?

I have done this flight 3 times since with no issue. I will in future take more care before a flight in ordering the scenery.

Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

Regards

Kevin
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Kevin,

You do not have to join IMGRU. Just Upload your image is ok per Kayla's instructions.

Glad to hear you have resolved tour problem.
Best Regards,