P3Dv4.5 HF2 trouble shutting down when using a lot of RAM?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Thralni

P3Dv4.5 HF2 trouble shutting down when using a lot of RAM?

Postby Thralni » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:19 am

Hey all,

Recently I've noticed that when I shut down P3D, it will never disappear from task manager. It will hang around with a CPU activity of 0-2%, but usually it will sit on the 0-0.8% range. Doesn't seem to matter how long I wait, it doesn't seem to disappear by itself and eventually I'll have to kill it myself.

For a while I had no idea what might be causing it, until I noticed that this seems to happen more often when P3D is using a lot of RAM before shutdown. Taskmanager displays this, and, for example, last time this happened P3D was stuck at a usage of about 1.3GB RAM. Another time it was perhaps 1.1GB of RAM. I realize that, while running, P3D can use much, much more than that, but perhaps there is some sort of link here. Because normally, it seems that when P3D 'disappears' (the GUI, or simulation window), there is a sudden drop in RAM usage. E.g., when I startup P3D and am staring at the Flight Setup interface, P3D uses 1.3GB already, but when I exit P3D there is a sudden drop to 400MB soon after P3D disappears (and P3D disappears in task manager from the 'Apps', and only exists as a process). This dwindles further down to 150MB and then P3D disappears entirely. So, perhaps, the fact that P3D is stuck with over 1GB is indicative of it having an issue unloading something?

Anybody have any idea what might be going on? Just FYI, I'm running the latest version of P3Dv4, with hotfix 2. P3D runs just fine when this happens, and it happens regardless of how I exit P3D (through the menu or by hitting CTRL+C). Next time I start P3D up it seems to be running normally as well.

Martyson

Re: P3Dv4.5 HF2 trouble shutting down when using a lot of RAM?

Postby Martyson » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:22 am

"last time this happened P3D was stuck at a usage of about 1.3GB RAM. Another time it was perhaps 1.1GB of RAM."

Do 3 screenshots spaced 10 seconds apart ?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Thralni

Postby Thralni » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:35 pm

No. These are separate instances spaced days apart. The point is that every time P3D doesn't automatically shut down, it appears to be retaining relatively high RAM usage despite very low CPU usage.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:37 pm

No. These are separate instances spaced days apart. The point is that every time P3D doesn't automatically shut down, it appears to be retaining relatively high RAM usage despite very low CPU usage.
When it happens then do the screenshots.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Thralni

Postby Thralni » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Oh, I see, you're asking me to make three screenshots spaced 10 seconds apart. Sorry! Will do.

Jim Harnes

Postby Jim Harnes » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:42 pm

It takes several seconds for P3D to shutdown for me, but in my case I've not had it "hang". I use Windows 10 and it seems to retain code in memory longer than I've seen in previous operating systems. Sometimes, I've had to reboot in order to clear system RAM after making configuration changes.

Have you tried a system restart and watched for any messages about shutting programs down?

Best,
Jim Harnes

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Oh, I see, you're asking me to make three screenshots spaced 10 seconds apart. Sorry! Will do.
Yes.

Not knowing when the trouble will resurface.

Reboot the PC before starting P3D.

What you could do every time you shut down P3D is :
Take three screenshots spaced 10 seconds apart and label those test 1.
Next shutdown label those test 2.
etc.
Finally you will see the trouble.
Then all shutdowns can be compared.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:59 am

Yes, I have had this to me where after shutting the computer down too soon, the next day, P3D will start even though I have not initiated a startup, so I now wait until P3D has properly closed down. Windows 10.
KInd Regards

Bernie.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:49 am

Yes, I have had this to me where after shutting the computer down too soon, the next day, P3D will start even though I have not initiated a startup, so I now wait until P3D has properly closed down. Windows 10.
How long does it take for P3D to shut down on your setup?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:22 am

Hi,

Probably anywhere from 15 seconds to more than 45 seconds, which is not a problem to me, it is just remembering to either wait or end the process myself. Of course, if I am going to use P3D the next time it is started, then it is not problem at all. It starts as if I had just selected it to start.
KInd Regards

Bernie.

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:31 am

Bernie, it's about the same for me, taking about 30-40 seconds to shut completely down.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:36 am

Hi,

Probably anywhere from 15 seconds to more than 45 seconds, which is not a problem to me, it is just remembering to either wait or end the process myself. Of course, if I am going to use P3D the next time it is started, then it is not problem at all. It starts as if I had just selected it to start.
Bernie,

Have you experienced the long shut down time that the OP reported?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:31 am

I have never had it where it never closes, I think that never closing down as per the first post, would indicate another issue that I do not have. There have been times however that I have closed it via the task manager and it is unknown how long it would have persisted. I will, after the busy period, take note of this more and record some times. Most definitely the High memory usage was also noted by me.
KInd Regards

Bernie.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:53 am

I have never had it where it never closes, I think that never closing down as per the first post, would indicate another issue that I do not have. There have been times however that I have closed it via the task manager and it is unknown how long it would have persisted. I will, after the busy period, take note of this more and record some times. Most definitely the High memory usage was also noted by me.
Instead of recording the memory usage/amount and the times better to take a couple screenshots if possible.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Jim Harnes

Postby Jim Harnes » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:31 pm

FYI, found this at another site:

"Open the registry editor, navigate to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and create three strings (if they don't already exist). Create AutoEndTasks and set it to 1, create WaitToKillAppTimeOut and set it to 2000. Finally, create HungAppTimeOut and set that to 2000 also. These automatically force-close any open apps after a 2000-millisecond (2 second) delay (shorter delays could be problematic because it wouldn't give apps that are closing time to close themselves)."

Haven't tried it, so no guarantees, and please don't do this if you are not comfortable editing the Win10 Registry.

Best,
Jim Harnes

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”