[P3Dv4.5HF2] DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
RRVyper

Re: [P3Dv4.5HF2] DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by RRVyper »

integrofan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:08 pm Hello,

i got since Sunday the following Error-Message:
This device (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti) stopped working for the following reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. Do you want to exit Prepar3D? Click Yes to exit, No to disable rendering to this device, or Cancel to keep using this device (Prepar3D may crash).
https://gyazo.com/e0e74e71bba6f9627bb1c520aefddc69
The only time I've ever seen this error is with P3Dv3 and FSLabs Spotlights. I assume you are using the (latest) Spotlights version for P3Dv4 and that your dll.xml file isn't somehow pointing to the old version (not even sure it would run). If it just started failing on Sunday you need to figure out what changed on your computer since Saturday. Event viewer may be useful - review the System and Application logs, or check Settings/Apps (Win10) to see what may have been installed lately.

Randy
shermank

Post by shermank »

Jorgen and all,

Excellent point about not keeping case on the floor. I keep mine on my desk, which happens to be a large wrap around build in, inherited when we bought the house....:-)....

Dust bunnies are not our friends....

Sherm
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@integrofan,

As i previously asked:
Is your PC a store purchased PC brand or did you build your PC and upgrade components in your PC?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
shermank

Post by shermank »

Martyson wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:20 pm @integrofan,

As i previously asked:
Is your PC a store purchased PC brand or did you build your PC and upgrade components in your PC?
I built my current PC...to update current status. Yesterday I had a sudden pop up notification of a Windows stack error, or something similar. It kept me from audio as well as internet connections. Bottom line, I have reinstalled W10 and as I write this am in the process of reinstalling P3D, as well as other programs I regularly use. It has been inconvenient, to say the least. But, I have already noticed the kind of Windows performance, loading speed, etc that is normal.

As for the DXGI error, once I get P3D up and running and add on my ORBX sceneries, I will have a better idea...hoping there is no repeat. Thanks, Martyson for your help and interest.

Sherm
kikigey89

Post by kikigey89 »

I recently updated to v4.5 HF2 (from v4.4) and also bought a RTX 2080 Super, since then I got this issue twice.

I googled a lot and it seems to not be the "typical" DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG issue many people got for so many years. I find it very interesting that I only got it on ground at the gate/parking position within 15 minutes after sim start (first at EDDK, today at LGIR). I flew many legs (also one long haul) between both occurrences without any issues.

Chris
shermank

Post by shermank »

Has anyone investigated whether the HTML Shaders may be part of the issue? I cannot say there is a noticeable pattern on my system, but from time to time, I do change shaders via PTA.

Sherm
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

shermank wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:37 pm
Martyson wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:20 pm @integrofan,

As i previously asked:
I built my current PC...to update current status. Yesterday I had a sudden pop up notification of a Windows stack error, or something similar. It kept me from audio as well as internet connections. Bottom line, I have reinstalled W10 and as I write this am in the process of reinstalling P3D, as well as other programs I regularly use. It has been inconvenient, to say the least. But, I have already noticed the kind of Windows performance, loading speed, etc that is normal.

As for the DXGI error, once I get P3D up and running and add on my ORBX sceneries, I will have a better idea...hoping there is no repeat. Thanks, Martyson for your help and interest.

Sherm
"Has anyone investigated whether the HTML Shaders may be part of the issue? I cannot say there is a noticeable pattern on my system, but from time to time, I do change shaders via PTA."

How old is your home built PC?

You mentioned you had Windows error and audio problem and have used PTA.

On your new install / setup are you planning on doing all testing with P3D in a default state before adding any Add-ons?
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

kikigey89 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:18 pm I recently updated to v4.5 HF2 (from v4.4) and also bought a RTX 2080 Super, since then I got this issue twice.

I googled a lot and it seems to not be the "typical" DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG issue many people got for so many years. I find it very interesting that I only got it on ground at the gate/parking position within 15 minutes after sim start (first at EDDK, today at LGIR). I flew many legs (also one long haul) between both occurrences without any issues.

Chris
Do you have a store purchased name brand PC and just now bought a RTX 2080 Super and installed it?
Or, did you build your own PC and just now upgrade the video card (could still be on warranty)?
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

You need to have a stable, smoothly-running computer first, Windows, drivers, .NET Framework, C++ etc. etc. and everything else updated, before you even start thinking about installing P3D on it.

Then, as Vaughan says, install P3D - and check it out from one end to the other first, before you even start thinking about installing add-ons on it.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

JorgenSA wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:46 am You did, of course, google the error message, did you not?

In all the cases where I have had an error message like this (including the ntdll.dll and kernelbase.dll error messages, and yes, I have had the DXGI error also), I have been able to fix the issue by googling the error message and looking through the possible causes and fixes.

It can take time and several tries, but in the end you end up with a better, smoother running system.

Jorgen
What fixed your DXGI error?
Best Regards,
kikigey89

Post by kikigey89 »

Martyson wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:03 pm Do you have a store purchased name brand PC and just now bought a RTX 2080 Super and installed it?
Or, did you build your own PC and just now upgrade the video card (could still be on warranty)?
I built my own PC a year ago. I used v4.3 and v4.4 with a GTX 1070 for a year without this issue. 3 weeks ago I updated to v4.5 HF2 and 2 weeks ago I updated the graphics card.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

kikigey89 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:25 pm
Martyson wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:03 pm Do you have a store purchased name brand PC and just now bought a RTX 2080 Super and installed it?
I built my own PC a year ago. I used v4.3 and v4.4 with a GTX 1070 for a year without this issue. 3 weeks ago I updated to v4.5 HF2 and 2 weeks ago I updated the graphics card.
Maybe a compatibility problem or hardware problem (heat / overclock etc.) on your home built PC?

A quick test would be to go back to your last working PC hardware [old video card-reinstalled] / software setup and test.

The General debugging steps are here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Vaughan,

The fix for my DXGI error was this:

1. Install the DirectX Redistributables

2. Update Windows

3. Update the graphics device driver

With a reboot between each step - OK, Windows Update forces one upon you...

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

JorgenSA wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:12 pm Vaughan,

The fix for my DXGI error was this:

1. Install the DirectX Redistributables

2. Update Windows

3. Update the graphics device driver

With a reboot between each step - OK, Windows Update forces one upon you...

Jorgen
The fix is what I asked about.
Which one of the steps (rebooting and testing between each step) fixed the problem?
Best Regards,
RRVyper

Post by RRVyper »

JorgenSA wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:12 pm3. Update the graphics device driver
Typically, downgrading the graphics driver to a previous version (before the issue appeared) is the fix.

Randy