[RESOLVED] Sunrise/sunset performance worse than ever

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
kityatyi

[RESOLVED] Sunrise/sunset performance worse than ever

Postby kityatyi » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:29 pm

I have been using Prepar3D since 2016, started with 3.2 back then, coming from the good old FSX. Since with P3D, I always knew the beauty of dawn and dusk comes at a price. Therefore, in my early P3D days, as much as possible I tried to avoid flying during these periods. But it was kind of understandable, My GTX 970 could not properly handle it. When switching to P3DV4 in summer 2017, I also upgraded my card to a GTX 1070 and although it did not gain me too many FPS but overall the whole thing got smoother. So much that I in fact completely forgot about the sunrise/sunset FPS toll. Sure there was some drop but nothing worth mentioning. Either V4 improved on this or the new card, who knows. Then, around V4.2 I abandoned P3D for a good while (May 2018), spending time mostly with DCS and Arma 3. Returned to P3D only a month or so ago, first thing I did was a complete reinstall. Now, I have V4.4 and everything is up to date. We now have PBR and many things to behold but among all the goodies an old evil seems to have returned. My FPS do drop to single digit(!) values during dawn and dusk which is worse than ever, since I have been with P3D. In those early dark days when I considered it a major issue, the in-VC FPS used to drop to 16-18, never below that, and I used to scream, claiming it's unplayable. Now, with a stronger card and an "improved" version of the simulator, the FPS often plunges to 6-8 in-VC and 14-15 in exterior view, during sunrises and sunsets. On westbound flights I often get stuck in this low FPS situation, kind of chasing the sunrise. Very frustrating. Other times the low FPS period lasts for 5-10 minutes only, depedning on how fast the sun sinks down below. Tried with numerous aircraft, including the PMDG NGX, PMDG 747/77 range, Leonardo Maddog, FSLabs A319/320 as well as the QW 787 - all the same, single digit values. Tried with and without Tomato shade, with and without PTA, not much difference, maybe 1-2 FPS at maximum so it's clear they aren't the ones to blame. I have been using an i7 6700K at 4.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, GTX1070 card and SSD for both the simulator and the O/S (Windows 10 has its own dedicated SSD on my rig). Using Active Sky and ASCA. But these don't even matter since I had the exact same system and exact same settings a few months ago running V4.2 when everything was still fine. Now, with V4.4, the dawn/dusk performance truly suffers. Whatever LM introduced with this release, it seems to take a very heavy toll on performance. Please do look into this and make simming during these periods of the day enjoyable by improving performance, significantly. Right now it feels like we have taken two steps backwards.

cookedinlh

Re: Sunrise/sunset performance worse than ever

Postby cookedinlh » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Been running P3D since v2 and with a i7-4790K at 4.0Ghz and GTX980 I've never experienced fps loss at sunrise/set . . not even a bit. . . so I suspect it may be in shaders or HDR settings perhaps. I've learned a lot about settings like shadows and anti-aliasing can also take a toll but only under certain weather, which seems strange but there's a link I think.

I wrote this a while ago so graphics are older but . . Look at the bottom of http://www.dcooke.com/sim-knowledge-base.html. . there may be something useful there that is stealing your fps around those times. Right now got my own issues with P3Dv4.4 not starting "correctly" . . whatever THAT means.
Good Luck . . and if you find a solution please post
cookedinlh

kityatyi

Re: Sunrise/sunset performance worse than ever

Postby kityatyi » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:19 pm

I will certainly check it out, thank you kindly for your input!

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”