Helicopter Cyclic Trim

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Chopper1

Helicopter Cyclic Trim

Postby Chopper1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:02 pm

By way of introduction, I fly a Guimbal Cabri G2 in real life. I have purchased Prepar 3D and use it for pre-flight practise and post-flight review purposes. The helicopter installed as the P3D vehicle is MP Design Studio's model of the G2. This has a "cosmetic" trim control on the cyclic which does not work in practice. In real life the trim is extremely useful and I would like to be able to use it on the sim but haven't yet achieved this. Please can you help?
I have gone into Options|Controls|KeyAssignments and found Elevator/Aileron trim (POV hat) which seems to describe the control function I want to use. I assigned this to my joystick's Hatswitch 1 "button" on my joystick and took the G2 for a test flight. Unfortunately when I move hatswitch 1 it has no effect on the G2's trim.
Please can you advise what needs to be done?
Many thanks,
Brian Littlewood

RCFlyer

Re: Helicopter Cyclic Trim

Postby RCFlyer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:27 pm

If you were to obtain FSUIPC, third party program, it allows one to control the rotor disc angle to simulate helicopter trim. I fly sim helos almost exclusively and FSUIPC provides a significant improvement for helicopter simulation.

Regards,

Danny

Chopper1

Postby Chopper1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 pm

"FSUIPC provides a significant improvement for helicopter simulation."

Thanks Danny. That would appear to help and might be what I'll do. I'd much rather try to keep things simple and rely on Prepar3D if possible, rather than using third party software. So before installing FSUIPC, I'll see if anyone can tell me how to enable the trim from Lockheed Martin's simulator.

All the best,

Brian

Lloydc

Postby Lloydc » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:09 am

Hi there, I have the same problem and cannot seem to fix with fsuipc. I logged a call with MPDesign and they said that P3D haven’t enabled trim for helos in their product and so the issue is with them. I’m pretty hacked off with the whole affair to be honest. It’s a flight sim for goodness sake, how can they not support something as obvious as cyclic trim in the product?

Any news P3D would be appreciated? In the meantime simmers don’t buy helicopters in P3D as they are unflyable.

RCFlyer

Postby RCFlyer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Helicopters in P3D are unflyable.....really. I don't agree. I fly helicopters in P3D all the time and have no problems making them work. I have effective trim function using FSUIPC. If you review page 46 of the FSUIPC Advanced User Guide you will see how to setup helicopter trim functions.

Regards,

Danny

Stratocruiser

Postby Stratocruiser » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:24 pm

Slightly off topic, but since you guys are flying Helicopters , what are you using for controllers? I would like to try them flying them, but I can't seem to find specific controllers for sale. I have the CH Products yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals with toe brakes. I also have a Logitech Freedom 4.2 cordless joy stick with throttle and twist handle.
Thanks

Mickeyj

Postby Mickeyj » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi there,

I tried the fsuipc method once but since im using the Komodosim controls I don't need it anymore. Even that it is something that would boost the "reality" of helicopter sim flying.

The Komodosim controls are the most realistic helicopter flight controls I have ever seen in flight simulation. The cons, they are expensive. Unfortunately I have never flown a real helicopter but flying CRJs in the real world. The feel or better the haptics reminds me of real controls. Check em out here https://komodosimulations.co.uk

Stratocruiser

Postby Stratocruiser » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi Mickey,
Thanks for the link to Komodosim. They are obviously very fine products, but beyond what I want to spend for just occasional use. I will keep looking for a less expensive setup.
Thanks.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”