[RESOLVED] P3dv4.3 Stuck at Generating Scenery Files Index on Startup

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
ibelarry

[RESOLVED] P3dv4.3 Stuck at Generating Scenery Files Index on Startup

Post by ibelarry »

Hi!

Just updated the client and content for P3dv4.3 from 4.2. No issues with install as I have done this many times before. However when I attempt to startup P3dv4.3 I am stuck at 34% with the original scenerycfg or 98% with a new one. Deleted generated files no joy. Uninstalled and reinstalled with no addons accepted-still no joy. Deleted generated files and accepted all addons still no joy. I have never had an issue installing, reinstalling or updating any version of P3d but this truly has me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Poppet

Re: P3dv4.3 Stuck at Generating Scenery Files Index on Startup

Post by Poppet »

Hello ibelarry

Please try these 2 steps.......

1) Did you run the Delete generated files command as seen from this post below ?

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 11#p182066

---------------------------------

2) If so, Please navigate to the location below and Click and Drag these 2 blue folders out of this location and pop them onto your Desktop

PC ► Documents ► Prepar3D v4 files \ Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

After you do this launch Prepar3D and test

Let us know how you get on
gloeckli

Post by gloeckli »

I installed yesterday client and content v4.3. and everything was OK. I made some flights and OK as well. Today, I updated a scenery (LFMN) as usual (deleted the scenery and installed it fresh) and then launched P3Dv4.3. The program is generating scenery file indexes and stops working at 62% and hangs. I tried to launch with the old scenery.cfg but the same result. I have a lot of addons. What can you suggest? Any help much appreciated.
ibelarry

Post by ibelarry »

Hi Poppet!

I appreciate your fast and thorough responses they have always allowed me to fix issues in the past without having to post.

Yes I did twice. I ended up installing the scenery for 4.3 and then reinstalling my global and hd trees following your instructions. Everything worked and asked me activate addons which I did. Worked perfectly. Then I saved that scenery cfg. Tried with my old scenerycfg suck at 68%. I have over 300 scenery addons. I have separate scenerycfg for different regions to avoid overwhelming P3d and my pc. Hate to have to reinstall all that scenery. Never had this problem..Is the P3dv4.3 scenerycfg formatted differently then 4.2 as this seems to be the problem!?
Rowdy739

Post by Rowdy739 »

I am having the same exact issue, and have followed the above mentioned two steps to no avail. Additionally, I have uninstalled the entire program and then re-installed.
gloeckli

Post by gloeckli »

I found this in another forum:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/to ... te-p3dv43/

Maybe this helps (have not tried it yet)
Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

I realized that i had installed on the default path instead in the former directory on my drive G:. The setup does not ask, just installs onto C: drive. The option to change the path is overseen easily. Of course all installed aircraft and sceneries in the old Prepar3D directory aren't there as expected through the scenery.cfg and I guess the programm then stucks at loading the sceneries. I realized first that ORBX wanted to reinstall all sceneries and though why that, it's there. When I finally wanted to check, what version my Prepar3D.exe is, I found it not beeing in the directory I expected it.
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
gloeckli

Post by gloeckli »

Just want to let you know this: Thanks to a backup of my HD which I made before uninstalling and reinstalling LFMN I was able to recover the directories C:\users\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepard3Dv4 and C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv4 and the sim works again like a charm.

I then uninstalled LFMN and the result was the same, i.e. the sim hanged after The generating scenery file indexes job stopped at 62% again.

I think this fault has to do something with the addon-cfg's, the scenery.cfg or the dll and exe xmls in both directories. I suppose that they or part of them get corrupted as soon as one make changes to the scenery library.

I will wait for a hotfix for that before doing changes to my scenery library.
Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

I had to go back to V4.2. My verdict for V4.3, it does not work. Maybe it works for LM, in a vanilla state without any addon installed. But I have all compatible addons on my system. I followed Poppets instruction to get it to run but as soon as I start adding my sceneries or Simobjects, V4.3 hangs on startup.
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi,

I am not suggesting that you don't have any addons that may be causing your problem, this is just to let you know that I did a client update only from V4.2 to V4.3 and all my ORBX, and there is quite a lot, have all worked correctly since the update.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
KInd Regards

Bernie.
Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

Oh the problem was not ORBX related. Installing in the wrong path at first just caused FTX Central to not find ORBX sceneries in the prepar3d directory. But after uninstalling V4.3 fromC: and installing it on G:, where I formerly had my Prepar3D installation should have fixed that. Nevertheless, FTX Central went on to download all sceneries I have from them. Took me another day watching. In the end I deleted all generated files and had an vanilla Prepar3D V4.3 running without any of my addons. Adding them again, lead to a stuck on load situation everytime. Going back to 4.2 was easy. Uninstall, install, recovering all cfg from my backup and P3D4.2 was running like before, no problems, but not the latest development state. It's sad, I'm now also an old grumpy man using older versions. But what can I do, if LM gives us an update, that doesn't work.

Dan

P.S. I'm not an absolute beginner, installed a lot of versions since 1.4. Never had this, never had a problem I could not solve. It takes only little time to reinstall 4.2 and 4.3 gave me 2 days work to none avail. That says it all.
LeslieJoe

Post by LeslieJoe »

I reinstalled P3Dv4.3 and was getting problems when proceeding to launching P3dV4.3. The programm would not proceed beyond the first screen
Then I followed what was suggested i.e in Documents dragged to desktop files P3Dv4 Files and P3dv4 addons and proceed to launch the programm. And this time it worked.

Ok but now how to proceed, shall I place back these files and intall the add-ons?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

LeslieJoe
ibelarry

Post by ibelarry »

Resolved the stuck issue using old scenery.cfg airport entries in P3dv4.3 with these steps:
1. After updating client, content and scenery I then deleted generated files
2. Ran 4.3 and regenerated all deleted files including the scenery.cfg adding all of the addons that are part of the scenery_add-ons.xml and add-ons.cfg (backed up)
3. Opened FTX Central following Poppet's/Orbx steps for initializing Orbx
4. Ran 4.3 again regenerating Orbx entries in the scenery.cfg (backed up)
5. Using my saved 4.2 scenery.cfg i added all the entries for non-addon.xml entries (i.e. addon airports) above Orbx using notepad
6. Using a scenery editor such as AdditPro for P3d I rebuilt the scenery library ensuring that all entries are consecutive-in the right priority and layer then saved. There are probably free scenery editors that can do the same thing
7. Ran 4.3 and complete joy at not having to manually add to the new 4.3 scenery.cfg or reinstall every one of my 300 third-party sceneries
sharmes6

Post by sharmes6 »

Hi,

I was also having this problem trying to reuse a saved scenery file (I have many) from V4.2. I just did some experimenting this morning, as my scenery was stopping at 99% loading. After turning a few things on at a time, I found that the one folder/file that was stopping the scenery indexes from being generated was:

".....Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Aerosoft\AFD\AF2_LFKC.BGL"

And I just realised why, the Scenery folder is missing somehow. So it seems that if there are any errors, there is no longer an error message showing what's wrong, and the scenery indexes will just not generate.

Cheers,
robwin

Post by robwin »

Hi.. Add me to this list. I managed to get 4.3 working so decided to remove p3dv3. Big mistake. I am back to square 1 and P3D v4.3 is stuck at the splash screen then suddenly goes off. Tried most of the remedies suggested by you all and I believe it relates to my scenery config. Have spent 3 days trying to fix it and am not getting anywhere. I loathe the idea of a full install as last time it took me two weeks to achieve it. I wish I hadn`t bothered.

Rob