IN VR: is there any way to use knobs / switches without having to look at them?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Hippo

IN VR: is there any way to use knobs / switches without having to look at them?

Post by Hippo »

Is there any way to do this? I am trying to turn knobs on the MCP on the Q400 which affect settings on the PFD. This is extremely impractical as I have to keep looking straight at the knobs while turning them (cursor is linked to head motion), and the PFD is not in my line of sight.

I was rather hoping something might have sneaked in with 4.3 to deal with this. It is a big problem in VR.

Thanks for any suggestions.

(I am aware that it may be possible to deal with this by mapping functions to joystick buttons, but this should be possible using the mouse).
Hippo

Re: IN VR: is there any way to use knobs / switches without having to look at them?

Post by Hippo »

On a related matter, it is extremely frustrating that when I attempt to right-click on a switch / knob and miss, control of the cursor is lost. I assume that this is because the context menu pops up (but not in VR!). I realise I can just click again, and I (usually) get it back - still, things really shouldn't have to be this way.

One suggestion to deal with these issues would be an option to NOT have the cursor move with head motion (only with mouse motion).

It would be nice to get a response on this, even if it's just an acknowledgment that you are aware of these serious shortcomings in VR, and that you plan to do something about them.

P.S. I hope you are also planning to provide us with the ability to view the / a kneeboard in VR. Not having access to checklists and charts in VR places huge limits on what can be achieved. I am currently working around this by using the Oculus 2.0 desktop - but this is far from ideal.

I'm sorry to complain, and am very grateful that you continue to improve the VR experience. Unfortunately, the omission of the features I mention in this thread can make VR an enormously frustrating experience, and only suitable for the most basic of flights.
BG2518

Re: IN VR: is there any way to use knobs / switches without having to look at them?

Post by BG2518 »

If it in any way helps - I think many of us die hard VR users experience the same issues and I think the flight simulator producers are aware of the issues but they themselves have not got an ultimate "solution" which is "real world" relateable that they are comfortable with. Saying that, any solution will require a *hit load of input and development irrespective if it is to become VR hands (ala the competition to P3D) or voice recognition.

I personally favour VR VR (Virtual Reality Voice Recognition) because in ANY training scenario IF the trainee calls by voice for the action it demonstrates the understanding of the reality of the required action. That is to say to complete such an action in VR (Virtual Reality) would be tortuous and far more time consuming than in the real world e.g. altering a radio frequency.

The only real simulators are those which contain the real world cockpits and controls. Anything else has to compromise something and so to accept that means to accept voice control as the fastest method of showing instructors "a complete understanding". next stage = do it for real.

LM and VR VR will be sooo cool.