ATC window greyed and not active

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Martyson

Re: ATC window greyed and not active

Postby Martyson » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:46 pm

"If I save a new default flight with no engines running so I can follow cold and dark startup procedures it will eventually break the ATC window."

Which aircraft was it?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

thetford569

Postby thetford569 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 pm

"If I save a new default flight with no engines running so I can follow cold and dark startup procedures it will eventually break the ATC window."

Which aircraft was it?
I always save a cold and dark flight with the default Mooney Bravo. I use a default aircraft before I change to anything else. Even saving with a default aircraft this still happens.

Brandon

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Which aircraft was it?
I always save a cold and dark flight with the default Mooney Bravo. I use a default aircraft before I change to anything else. Even saving with a default aircraft this still happens.

Brandon
Ok,
I could do testing with Mooney Bravo.

Where did you find the procedure to get it cold and dark and also the startup procedure.

Where in the startup procedure ( Mooney Bravo) do you first contact ATC and get the bad ATC menu.

I will get it cold and dark then save it as a default for testing.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

thetford569

Postby thetford569 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:18 am

Which aircraft was it?

Brandon
Ok,
I could do testing with Mooney Bravo.

Where did you find the procedure to get it cold and dark and also the startup procedure.

Where in the startup procedure ( Mooney Bravo) do you first contact ATC and get the bad ATC menu.

I will get it cold and dark then save it as a default for testing.

I start with the default P3D F-22 scenario in the F22 with engines running. I then switch to the Mooney Bravo. After loading I shut down the engine, turn off all lights, turn off avionics master, alternator switches, and then battery switch. This gets you a cold and dark cockpit. I then save it as a new default flight. This has been a long standing procedure to be able to start the sim with a cold and dark cockpit. This flight is then loaded as default when P3D loads allowing you to change the aircraft to any other and go through the startup procedures. This works fine for a few flights and then suddenly the ATC window will be greyed out.

All you have to do to see the ATC window is turn on the battery, avionics master and then bring up the window with the ` key. The options will be there but you cannot choose anything or contact anyone because they are all grey instead of white as they should be.

Brandon

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:45 am

" This flight is then loaded as default when P3D loads allowing you to change the aircraft to any other and go through the startup procedures. This works fine for a few flights and then suddenly the ATC window will be greyed out."

Which aircraft do you change to to do the startup procedure?

What I want to do is use the same aircraft(s) and procedure you use. The one(s) that have given you the problem.

Note:
I initially assumed you did the cold and dark then the startup procedure in the Mooney Bravo.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

thetford569

Postby thetford569 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:17 am

" This flight is then loaded as default when P3D loads allowing you to change the aircraft to any other and go through the startup procedures. This works fine for a few flights and then suddenly the ATC window will be greyed out."

What I want to do is use the same aircraft(s) and procedure you use. The one(s) that have given you the problem.

Note:
I initially assumed you did the cold and dark then the startup procedure in the Mooney Bravo.
Well, I've been using the Carenado Citation CJ2 which is not a default aircraft. Unless you have that aircraft from them then I am afraid you won't be able to use the same aircraft as me. Keep in mind you don't have to go through the startup to see the issue. Just turn the battery on and avionics master and open the ATC window.

The problem is that it's random. I flew 2 flights with the Citation CJ2 before I saw the issue again. I saved the Citation flight after each session in order to start in the same place again. Twice it worked just fine. This was over a period of several days. On the third flight I loaded up my last location in the CJ2 and the ATC window did not work. I deleted those flight files and reset to the default P3D file. When I restarted P3D the default flight also had a non working ATC window. I then re-started P3D again after deleting all flight files and the ATC window came back.

Since then I have repeated the process of saving a new default flight in the Mooney and ATC works. At some random point it's going to break again. This is what others have also been reporting in this thread. There is something different about saving flights that is breaking this. That wasn't happening prior to P3D 4.2. I've been doing it this way forever....

Brandon

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:30 am

Note:
Well, I've been using the Carenado Citation CJ2 which is not a default aircraft. Unless you have that aircraft from them then I am afraid you won't be able to use the same aircraft as me. Keep in mind you don't have to go through the startup to see the issue. Just turn the battery on and avionics master and open the ATC window.

The problem is that it's random. I flew 2 flights with the Citation CJ2 before I saw the issue again. I saved the Citation flight after each session in order to start in the same place again. Twice it worked just fine. This was over a period of several days. On the third flight I loaded up my last location in the CJ2 and the ATC window did not work. I deleted those flight files and reset to the default P3D file. When I restarted P3D the default flight also had a non working ATC window. I then re-started P3D again after deleting all flight files and the ATC window came back.

Since then I have repeated the process of saving a new default flight in the Mooney and ATC works. At some random point it's going to break again. This is what others have also been reporting in this thread. There is something different about saving flights that is breaking this. That wasn't happening prior to P3D 4.2. I've been doing it this way forever....

Brandon
Ok, I have the Carenado CJ2.

Now just to verify, I do not have to do a flight ....
"Keep in mind you don't have to go through the startup to see the issue. Just turn the battery on and avionics master and open the ATC window. "

Just turn the battery on and avionics master and open the ATC window. "
Correct?

Ok, I will do the test.

"On the third flight I loaded up my last location in the CJ2 and the ATC window did not work. "
Now this is reloading another CJ2 saved flight ......... not the same.
Now we are getting way far away for the initial test to see the problem ... not to mention we do not know the status of the flight when it was saved and scenery area etc.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

CaptBMckay

Postby CaptBMckay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:49 am

I too have the same issue. The problem went away for a few days and has returned

thetford569

Postby thetford569 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:00 am

Note:

Brandon
Ok, I have the Carenado CJ2.

Now just to verify, I do not have to do a flight ....
"Keep in mind you don't have to go through the startup to see the issue. Just turn the battery on and avionics master and open the ATC window. "

Just turn the battery on and avionics master and open the ATC window. "
Correct?

Ok, I will do the test.

"On the third flight I loaded up my last location in the CJ2 and the ATC window did not work. "
Now this is reloading another CJ2 saved flight ......... not the same.
Now we are getting way far away for the initial test to see the problem ... not to mention we do not know the status of the flight when it was saved and scenery area etc.
It happens both just loading from the saved default Mooney flight and also saving a CJ2 flight. I was just telling you how it happened this last time. I've had the same issue loading the Mooney flight and then changing the aircraft to the CJ2. It doesn't matter.

Brandon

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:11 am

Default situation Cold/Dark Mooney, testing Carenado CJ2 multiple loads.
I expected an immediate problem but all ok .

I had a 4th but the JPG did not post.

BTW, I have never had the ATC problem you mentioned and I have done a lot of testing (FSX/P3Dv3//P3Dv4.1 and now p3Dv4.2).

I would not expect software code to only fail every after several days / weeks ...
Last edited by Martyson on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:18 am

I too have the same issue. The problem went away for a few days and has returned
Did you have a custom default flight / aircraft?
If so, what did you use?

Did you also start from cold and dark the turn the bat /avionics on and no ATC?

Have you had "other" problem with your P3Dv4 software / setups etc?
Last edited by Martyson on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

CaptBMckay

Postby CaptBMckay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:26 am

I replaced the original default flight with a new one using the F22. That originally worked but today the problem has come back and I cannot seem to resolved it

CaptBMckay

Postby CaptBMckay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 am

I had this issue grayed out ATC window since updating to P3D 4.2 It went away temporarily when I deleted the default flight and re created it. Now it's back and I cant seem to resolve it

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:28 am

I replaced the original default flight with a new one using the F22. That originally worked but today the problem has come back and I cannot seem to resolved it
Have you had "other" problem with your P3Dv4 software / setups etc?

Did you have a custom default flight / aircraft?
If so, what did you use?

Did you also start from cold and dark the turn the bat /avionics on and no ATC?

Maybe give the debugging steps a try:
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

thetford569

Postby thetford569 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:35 am

I don’t know.....it’s completely random. All I know is that I have always been using the sim this way and the only thing that’s changed is I am using P3D 4.2. I’ve used every version since 2.5 and never had this problem. Others are reporting the exact same thing.

Brandon

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”