Improvements in VR for 4.2 - great progress!

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
whitav8

Re: Improvements in VR for 4.2 - great progress!

Post by whitav8 »

@BrianU,
I have a lot of fun flying VR flight sims - P3D, Aerofly FS2, Combat Air Patrol 2, and DCS. I really don't understand mono mode of P3D VR - not sure when to use it. Could you explain?

Thanks

Dave W.
P3Dv5, P3Dv4.4 9700K@5Ghz, 32gbRam, RTX2070,HP Reverb HMD
BrianU

Post by BrianU »

I really think this has more to do with personal preference than anything, I just don't want Lockheed Martin to get rid of it.
But after using FlyInside in FSX Steam and now native in P3D4.2 and often fly my home built Zenith Ch-701 I've realized (for me) that mono mode is a much more realistic experience. In 4.1 there was keyboard shortcuts that I mapped to the joy stick that toggled between stereoscopic and mono views. When in stereoscopic I feel like I'm in a matchbox sized version of the plane and the cockpit is way too 3D. 3D like my eyes are a foot apart. The graphics on a moving map GPS seem like they're floating on the screen and the gauge bezels, indicator needles the same. It stutters as I move my head around quickly. Toggling between mono and stereo I really see no difference in the scenery outside, it looks the same unless you're very close to something. Toggling between the two and looking outside there's not much change, the difference is in the cockpit. In mono mode things look a lot bigger in the cockpit, but the instruments and indicators look realistic. I still feel like I'm in a 3D world as I can look around the stick to get to a switch. When I turn my head quickly back and forth it's smooth and fluid. I fly GA and military. Dino's F-35, VRS Superbug, Milvis F-86 and F-100 so my head is always moving around quick and mono is so much smoother. FlyInside had a function where you could transition between mono and stereo smoothly, or different levels of stereo from full to mono and always found I liked somewhere in between was the best.
It doesn't work with PTA or Tackpac though.

Brian
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

@BrianU,
Thanks for the explanation on the mono mode. Of course, since you are not getting true stereo, the frame rates are going to be much better since the image is generated only once - but you do get the ability to control where you are looking and lean in/out. For stereo, it seems that you might have an incorrect setting for interpupillary distance - which is default set at about 64mm - and I don't see a way to adjust that with P3Dv4.2 Native VR - let's ask L-M. When that is incorrect, the "world scale" - the size of the cockpit feels wrong.
As far as improving frame rates for stereo, you will have to figure out a set of graphic options that can be turned down (sliders to the left like much less traffic or whatever) and save/load that configuration for VR and then fly in areas that are simpler scenery. I like to fly out of Grand Canyon West airport after loading the freeware photoreal scenery from blueskyscenery.com - for example - or Rio de Janiero with Paulo Ricardo's third part scenery from Simmarket.com
P3Dv5, P3Dv4.4 9700K@5Ghz, 32gbRam, RTX2070,HP Reverb HMD