v4.1: autogen still loading late and in patches

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Decimated

Re: v4.1: autogen still loading late and in patches

Post by Decimated »

Yep I've done with/without clouds - both worked absolutely fine for me.

If I used 'TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP 9' with my setup, the autogen would generally load infront of me, however you could see it 'popping' into the sim quite late in built up areas. 'TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP 10' made it load in way behind the aircraft.

I'm convinced that 4/6 core CPU's don't really cut it with V4 if you want to push your scenery settings up.

I have a i7 4770k Oc'd as I mentioned earlier, but will look into getting a i9 7900X OC'd at 4.8GHz or a CPU with a minimum of 10 cores in the new year. I'd rather have more cores and take a 200mhz hit on the clock speed, than have an i7 7700k/8700K OC'd running at 5Ghz.
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Anyway I read somewhere that TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8 is a default setting, so it's not true?
Decimated

Post by Decimated »

9 is default afaik. 8 and 10 are additional options.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP is set to 8 by default.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

AnkH wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 pm
pmb wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:53 pm Now in 4+, we got a much extended autogen radius at the cost of autogen loading in patches and/or late.
No, that is not correct. In version 4.0, this autogen loading in patches was not present, at least not on my end...
I confirm I see excatly the same
I have 8 physical cores @4700 and 2 980ti's in SLI
going back to 4.0 witht the same settings and stock (NO ADDONS) removes the issue
I, personally noticed this issue 10 minutes after upgrading 4.0 to 4.1
I, personally, can make this issue go away by downgrading to 4.0
both these statements are true for no addons and all addons
ergo, I conclude that something in this area changed between 4 and 4.1
dawgfan58

Post by dawgfan58 »

I'm also seeing this issue. Orbx lights load really late and in patches.
dawgfan58

Post by dawgfan58 »

I found this on a p3d facebook page, and some people are reporting it has fixed the autogen issues for them.

Under [Scenery]

change the MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=16 to MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=1.
derfsxpilot1

Post by derfsxpilot1 »

I can report the same issue ! this is a real dealbreaker for me, I can´t fly with this
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

dawgfan58 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:36 pm I found this on a p3d facebook page, and some people are reporting it has fixed the autogen issues for them.

Under [Scenery]

change the MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=16 to MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=1.
Tried this since last summer, not the minimum change for me...
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Hi, any news about a fix to the problem by LM? Thanks.
bpieke

Post by bpieke »

pmb wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:28 am
zap737 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:38 am Request LM makes this a priority to fix.
I'm a bit hesitant to demand a fix. Usually such features/bugs are there for a reason. I am afraid we may get a fix, but at the cost of (i) reduced autogen density, (ii) limited autogen radius, (iii) add your favorite.

Kind regards, Michael
Another way of looking at this, is that, no matter how powerful your system is, you can overload flightsim by increasing the settings and adding fancy addons.. this has not changed since the early days of FS.

So, the choices you have is to find a set of more conservative settings where you do not have these problems, or continue to push the boundaries.. I tried your KSFO - Silicon Valley flight with Orbx California active, and did not run into the problems you show, with a GTX 1070, so less horsepower..

Try my settings as a test:

World
LOD radius: high
Tesselation factor: high
mesh resolution: 5m
texture resolution: 1m
high resolution terrain: on

Scenery complexity: extremely dense
autogen draw distance: medium
autogen vegetation density: normal
autogen building density: dense
Dynamic vegetation: unticked

water detail: medium
Reflections: user vehicle only
Special effects: medium/medium

:-)
simmerluke

Post by simmerluke »

On my system I have attempted various setting combinations from max to relatively low with the same poor autogen loading performance at all times in v4.1. My solution was a downgrade to v4.0 which was the miracle cure (with like-for-like settings for comparison). On approach in v4.1 I could pause the sim for literally minutes waiting for autogen to start loading beneath me. This is not the case in v4.0.

I am really hoping LM put whatever they changed back for v4.2 as I'm finding as time moves on more and more products I use are starting to insist on having the latest version!
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

bpieke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 pm So, the choices you have is to find a set of more conservative settings where you do not have these problems, or continue to push the boundaries.. I tried your KSFO - Silicon Valley flight with Orbx California active, and did not run into the problems you show, with a GTX 1070, so less horsepower..
While you are basically right and dialing down the settings could possibly reduce the problem, most of us experiencing this late loading only suffer from it since 4.1, but not in 4.0. Now, explain me, how possibly all our systems using the same settings in 4.1 as we do in 4.0 are suddenly overloaded? I guess not. LM introduced something leading to this "bug" in 4.1 and I really hope that this will be fixed in 4.2.
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
B777ER

Post by B777ER »

I see nothing was really done about this in 4.2. Such a shame. A real immersion killer on arrival.
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

Honestly, I also don't get this. Personally, I feel like this 4.2 update did not fix anything really relevant (to me). DL seems to be very hard on performance as it was before, autogen is still loading in patches and the shadowing bug is still there... What a bummer, but those 0.5% of the people using VR have some improvements... or those 0.8% that were waiting for a default helicopter... I don't get it, this seems to be the most obsolete sub-version jump ever in the history of P3D...
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home