Crash when installing a new scenery (Possible Threshold)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Crash when installing a new scenery (Possible Threshold)

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Thanks everyone for the details concerning this issue. We are investigating and will get back to you once we have more information.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
PreparPat

Post by PreparPat »

For what its worth here's my observations. I'm running P3Dv4.1 with Windows 10 - 1709. Only Addon Manager / .xml sceneries runways. Except for those OBRX & FlightBeam KSFO/KMSP Runways.
P3Dv4.1 was responsible for texturing my GSX Vechicles black. Also when I tried do install KSDF all of my SimObject Airplanes turned a "Carbon Fiber Black." Uninstalling KSDF allieviated this Airplane "Black" texture but GSX still had weird textures most of the time.
After examing this thread I went into P3D Menu Bar/Options/Add-Ons and unchecked half of the runways. This immediatly fixed my GSX Vechicles textures. I was also able to install KSDF with out any "Carbon Fiber" Planes appearing.
I then starting turning on RWY's in Add-Ons in groups of 5 and restarting P3D. When I reached 32 RWY's the GSX black textures and SimObject Airplanes in "Carbon Fiber Black" reappeared.
It looks like I'll have to use Lorby-si Addon Organizer to keep my Runway count low enough to preclude this Texture problem until a resolution.

Pat
keino333

Post by keino333 »

At first PreparPat summary made sense. But then after looking into my own sim I discovered perhaps a flaw in this theory. I have far greater than 27 or 32 add-ons in the folder. I have 110 to be exact. The common denominator here are FDST+GSX+v4.1. Why is it that we've experienced this after the installation of FSDT SDF? I hope that both sides are talking. Perhaps it has more to do with the new technology that FSDT has use within KSDF and GSX
Skipy

Post by Skipy »

keino333 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:12 pm At first PreparPat summary made sense. But then after looking into my own sim I discovered perhaps a flaw in this theory. I have far greater than 27 or 32 add-ons in the folder. I have 110 to be exact. The common denominator here are FDST+GSX+v4.1. Why is it that we've experienced this after the installation of FSDT SDF? I hope that both sides are talking. Perhaps it has more to do with the new technology that FSDT has use within KSDF and GSX
Hi,

I confirm I'm in this case using all FSDT sceneries and GSX. But as usual on FSDT forum Umberto claims GSX has nothing wrong... The fact is on FSX you can get OOM using PMDG birds and large amount of addons including FSDT but not this kind of problem. Where is the limit with P3D4? I don't know... But with 4.0 I was able to make it crash by having thousands of AFCAD files in Mytraffic sceneries. FSDT GSX and sceneries are using a lot of simobjects... Right now this workaround around the number of addons is working.

Skip.
B77X

Post by B77X »

keino333 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:12 pm At first PreparPat summary made sense. But then after looking into my own sim I discovered perhaps a flaw in this theory. I have far greater than 27 or 32 add-ons in the folder. I have 110 to be exact. The common denominator here are FDST+GSX+v4.1. Why is it that we've experienced this after the installation of FSDT SDF? I hope that both sides are talking. Perhaps it has more to do with the new technology that FSDT has use within KSDF and GSX
The P3D 4.1 install I have tried fixing gets black textures over everything, texture corruption is a global p3d problem, if there are more than that number of addon xml's. Not just gsx getting black textures.
keino333

Post by keino333 »

I'm going to attempt to install the legacy client v4. If it goes well I'll stay until the next update
keino333

Post by keino333 »

CONFIRMED ITS THE CLIENT THAT"S THE ISSUE

Here's use the v4 legacy client (v4.1 content still installed)

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b46 ... t1utmr.jpg

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b46 ... tqjh0z.jpg
Darren Howie

Post by Darren Howie »

I gave now hit the limit for a second time.
The first was resolved by disabling the FSDT Louisville addon.
I have not list textures on the FSLabs and Pmdg 747 and DC-8,all other aircraft appear ok.
Has there been any feedback on a resolution to this issue?
KennethVerburg

Post by KennethVerburg »

I also have this issue (talked about it before at https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5236 ... s-problem/).

I had fixed it, but this morning I have installed FSDT Louisville and Skiathos into 4.1 and then the black textures appeared again. Disabling the new sceneries did not help so far, but maybe they should not be listed in the add-ons file or I should disable more than I did to get below some limit.

Before I thought it had to do with FSDG Mauritius and MK-Studios Fuerteventura, as it worked after I disabled those, but from reading this thread I'm now thinking it's maximum number of sceneries, so I will take a look at that when I get back home this evening and report back.
Skipy

Post by Skipy »

Hi,

If that can help here's the workaround I use to avoid the "black textures" issue. I use Lorby-SI AddonOrganizer_P3D_V4 to manage the Packages (not the sceneries). I disabled (double click) all the packages stored in Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder which are not necessary for the flight I want to do. I keep all other packages or sceneries active and I don't have the issue.

Skip.
Ebertr

Post by Ebertr »

I have the same issue with the add-on.xml in the document folder. Everything worked fine up to 50 sceneries. With 50 + 1 sceneries (Skiathos 1.5) P3D V4.1 crashes to desktop after loading an other scenery.

Ruediger
Skipy

Post by Skipy »

ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Add-ons.cfg = 22 entries

\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg = 72 entries

No problem with my workaround (set unused packages ACTIVE=FALSE).

Skip.
CrazyEyesKiller

Post by CrazyEyesKiller »

Skipy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:50 pm ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Add-ons.cfg = 22 entries

\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg = 72 entries

No problem with my workaround (set unused packages ACTIVE=FALSE).

Skip.
Why in the world would LM allow 2 .cfg files, with identical names stored in different locations. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me. In my add-ons.cfg in Program Data...are 10 FSDreamteam addons + SODE, but not KMEM. KMEM is in add-ons.cfg in User\Appdata...which contains 16 .xml addons, including other airport sceneries.

I don't have the black/texture, swapping problem, so apparently I haven't reached the threshold to trigger it.

Steven Miller
Steven Miller
KennethVerburg

Post by KennethVerburg »

Hi Skip,

I was already using the Addon Organizer to disable the sceneries to keep loading times down (which also increased a lot with 4.1, especially ORBX it seems), but I guess I missed the Packages tab. Issue did indeed disappear again when I disabled almost all add-ons.

I then tried to find a limit the issue would reappear, but I can't find any of the numbers like 27 and 32 people have been mentioning, I have more than 50 enabled packages. It must be a certain combination of them and then the number of FSDT ones seem to play a role or seem more heavy than others, as when I enable one extra FSDT that causes the issue, I have to disable a lot of other ones to fix it. Godzone and RealNZ ones also seem to have a big effect as I can then enable all FSDT with most other sceneries.

So back to the P3DV3 ways of managing the sceneries, only enable what I'm using. Bit annoying there are multiple places to manage a scenery, but at least I now know how to fix it until there is a real fix for it.

This saved me a lengthy reinstall with probably the same result, so glad I found this topic. Thanks!

Kenneth
Darren Howie

Post by Darren Howie »

I recovered my aircraft textures by doing as advised i moved a pile of my xml added scenery over to the old scenery CFG removing them as addons via xml and adding them via the old scenery cfg.
This fixed my aircraft and i still have around 70 xml addons much more than that and black texture dramas start in the aircraft folder..
I still have missing textures in GSX though with pushback tugs missing textures. Only the tugs and all styles affected ie every pushback tug of every variety is black and textureless.
I really couldnt be bothered moving more over as many of those have effects folders inside etc and it may cause issues with the sceneries and i ll live with all black pushback tugs for the time being.
Cheers