[RESOLVED] P3D V3 running in background at startup

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
admiralv

[RESOLVED] P3D V3 running in background at startup

Postby admiralv » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:19 am

Hello, I recently upgraded to P3D v3.4 Academic from 2.5 and have been having trouble starting the program. The splash screen will come up and load scenery files, but after it's complete, the splash screen will disappear and the program will start running as a background process. This is a fresh install on a fresh copy of windows 10 (2.5 was not previously installed on the computer before installing v3) and I've tried downloading the installer again to see if I had a corrupt copy. I've also tried deleting my .cfg files in appdata/roaming and local. Each time I've reinstalled I've made sure to delete both the roaming and local LM directories along with the programdata folder to make sure I get clean files. I'm really not sure what's going on as I've never had too much issue with P3d in the past. I'm really at a loss and hope someone here may have had a similar issue and solution.

My specs are as follows
i5 2500
AMD R9 290 (single monitor - I saw a few people having similar issues with multi monitor setups)
12 GB DDR3
Windows 10 64-bit

Thanks, I appreciate any help that you may be able to provide.

Mr Nice

Re: P3D V3 running in background at startup

Postby Mr Nice » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi,

Do you have any addons installed? Usually its one of those that hang on exit and causes P3D to be running in the background if previously shut down without having restarted your computer.

I'd try disabling the .dll's for some addons and see if that helps you out. Otherwise now you know what going on. Make a shortcut for your Task Manager on your desktop and you can then quickly open up Task Manager to End Process for Prepar3D.exe.

admiralv

Postby admiralv » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi,

No addons installed, and I've killed the process each time it hangs. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the default flight that loads up the first time you run P3D, but I'm not sure what line to add to the config file to get the startup menu on program start.

vgbaron

Postby vgbaron » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:06 pm

IIRC in the Prepar3d.cfg file you should have:

ShowOpeningScreen=1

Vic

bwee415

Postby bwee415 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:15 pm

I am having the same problem. Just bought this 2 days ago and I am utterly frustrated. I even ran the repair function but that did not help. The only thing left is a full reinstall which I am not looking forward to. Any more help on this subject?

bwee415

Postby bwee415 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:27 am

Sorry about the double post.. I reinstalled P3D and I having the same issue of the black screen upon loading. The next step will be removing all related files which I hope not to do.

Also when the black screen appears, if I hit Escape, a list of options presents itself like loading scenarios etc. When selecting a tutorial or any of the options, the program loads but the black screen is still present after the loading process is complete.

Any further help is much appreciated.

Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Postby Adam Breed » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi admiralv/bwee415,

Please see the FAQs for some troubleshooting tips (http://www.prepar3d.com/frequently-asked-questions/):

Code: Select all

Prepar3D does not start, instantly shuts down, or does not perform as expected. What is wrong?

Ensure the proper graphics card is set to run Prepar3D. If an onboard video card (Intel HD) is told to run Prepar3D, these issues will likely occur. To correct, use the appropriate video card software to configure the graphic card’s control of Prepar3D. For NVIDIA graphics cards, open the NVIDIA Control Panel, select Manage 3D settings, and set the Preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor. You can also set Prepar3D.exe’s preferred graphics processor directly under the Program Settings tab under Manage 3D settings.

Often you might need to delete the following generated folders/files to have Prepar3D respect your changes. This will result in any add-ons being removed/disabled.
%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

Verify the fix was successful by opening Prepar3D and selecting Options, Settings, and under Full Screen Settings you should see the correct graphics card listed under Display.

Let us know,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager

bwee415

Postby bwee415 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks Adam. Deleting the folders you mentioned worked as I did not have any issues with the graphics card.

Any idea what may have caused this in order to avoid this in future?

Cheers,
Brett

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”