Spinning clouds and Landscape shadow problems

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Drizzle

Re: Spinning clouds and Landscape shadow problems

Post by Drizzle »

Christopher Low wrote:
....and with blocky shadows appearing (and moving) randomly in depressions in the landscape texture.
This one puzzles me, considering that I have terrain shadows switched OFF....

Switching off terrain shadows, I've eliminated this problem for myself. Are you still experiencing it?

I do still have the 'mesh texture' continually shifting beneath me as the resolution sharpens while it gets nearer, and that creates a bit of 'shader shifting' as I travel. But the heavy and obvious blocks of darkness went away when I switched terrain shadows off. And honestly, I'm not really missing the terrain shadows -- the ordinary shading feels sufficient for me...
Win10 64-bit|16GB DDR4|2XEVGA GTX980Ti 6GB(SLI)|i7-6700k(OC-4.6GHz)|ASUS Z170-A|250GB 850 EVO SSD(for OS)|1TB 860 EVO SSD(for P3D and aircraft)|2X500GB 850 EVO SSDs(add-ons)|Corsair 1000W PSU|HAF 912 case|P3D V4.3|CV1
Christopher Low

Post by Christopher Low »

I guess it must be the mesh textures shifting. Is that something to do with tesselation?
Drizzle

Post by Drizzle »

Christopher Low wrote:I guess it must be the mesh textures shifting. Is that something to do with tesselation?

It would be my assumption that this is simply a function of the mesh resolution sharpening as you draw closer -- a basic, and I think, inescapable function of simulation. (No point in consuming even more system resources by drawing everything at a distance in sharper detail than you need it to be.) I would think the only way to avoid this result would be to turn your mesh resolution WAY down -- which would make the landscape look dull and cartoonish. But that's all assumption -- anyone else have better insight??
Win10 64-bit|16GB DDR4|2XEVGA GTX980Ti 6GB(SLI)|i7-6700k(OC-4.6GHz)|ASUS Z170-A|250GB 850 EVO SSD(for OS)|1TB 860 EVO SSD(for P3D and aircraft)|2X500GB 850 EVO SSDs(add-ons)|Corsair 1000W PSU|HAF 912 case|P3D V4.3|CV1
fabs79

Post by fabs79 »

I think blocky, square shadows on terrain also can be caused by clouds casting shadows on terrain if they are too close or even within the terrain. I usually see those when flying in a mountainous landscape. Let´s say you have clouds at 4000 feet but some mountains are 5000 feet, so the 2D cloud sprites "cut" into the mountains - that`s when those square shadows appear on my setup. I guess it`s the rendering engine having trouble to render a cloud shadow on terrain with a distance of zero (or even a negative distance if the cloud sprite is within or under the terrain) between the cloud and terrain. At least that`s what I think is happening.

Drizzle wrote:
Christopher Low wrote:
....and with blocky shadows appearing (and moving) randomly in depressions in the landscape texture.
This one puzzles me, considering that I have terrain shadows switched OFF....

Switching off terrain shadows, I've eliminated this problem for myself. Are you still experiencing it?

I do still have the 'mesh texture' continually shifting beneath me as the resolution sharpens while it gets nearer, and that creates a bit of 'shader shifting' as I travel. But the heavy and obvious blocks of darkness went away when I switched terrain shadows off. And honestly, I'm not really missing the terrain shadows -- the ordinary shading feels sufficient for me...