Prepar3d v3.0 - talking a little bit about performance

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Luis Vargas

Prepar3d v3.0 - talking a little bit about performance

Postby Luis Vargas » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:53 am

About video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8WBLBleUr0

Excellent initiative showing improvements in performance. I see some fps peaks and much less memory used, but I also see more reads and writes (I/O). My doubt is "during a defined period of time how will it be the average frames per second in both simulators"? There is an old benchmarking for FSX called FsxMark07 where the results are captured by Fraps and I played around with this a little.

With both v2.5 and v3.0 installed from scratch and running at same moderate settings:

v2.5: 15973 fps in 300000 ms, min fps = 42, max fps = 64, avg fps = 53.243
v3.0: 16296 fps in 300000 ms, min fps = 41, max fps = 67, avg fps = 54.320

Now, both running at 'insane' settings, i.e., all settings maximized to 100% and all select boxes options checked:

v2.5: 6086 fps in 300000 ms, min fps = 12, max fps = 27, avg fps = 20.287
v3.0: 5809 fps in 300000 ms, min fps = 12, max fps = 25, avg fps = 19.363

For me the remarkable in version 3.0 is the fluidity. It is running smooth and this give me an impression of better performance than v2.5.

Luis Vargas

Re: Prepar3d v3.0 - talking a little bit about performance

Postby Luis Vargas » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Does anyone have another way to compare the P3Dv2.5 against P3Dv3.0 measuring the fps consistently?

WarpD

Postby WarpD » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:45 pm

Uh... your results show no frame rate change... what's the problem???
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation

Luis Vargas

Postby Luis Vargas » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:41 am

I can not see any problem. The fluidity of v3.0 is excellent when compared to v2.5 but the average of fps along a period of time has not shown a greater gain in performance how people have commented. The P3D do not have a own tool to measure its performance so I used the fsxmark07 (ask Google about it).

Best regards.

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Luis,

Thanks for posting your findings. Performance is always a priority for us, and data like this can help us get a better feel for how Prepar3D is performing across a broad range of hardwaare configurations and use cases.

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

WarpD

Postby WarpD » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:33 pm

I would consider the lack of performance loss despite the increase of graphical functionality to be a significant achievement.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation

Luis Vargas

Postby Luis Vargas » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:38 pm

WarpD wrote:I would consider the lack of performance loss despite the increase of graphical functionality to be a significant achievement.

That's what I can call of 'a perfect answer'. Thank you, WarpD!

Really the graphical interface, clouds and shadows are awesome in the v3.0, but unfortunally I still coud not set the HDR to give me a result so good as I have in the v2.5 although I find the HDR in the v2.5 a little bit dark.

Japo32

Postby Japo32 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:53 am

For me still needs more smooth to work on. With 3 screens and 5040x1050 resolution is locked at 33 fps but it constantly drops sometimes to 25 or so making even stops (stutters). Not constant but sometimes that makes the experience not the most pleasure to have.
I come from FSX with Directx10 fixer and there I had 33 fps all the time hiper-fluid.. but not in the big cities.
I hope this can be fixed... because as I can see my 980ti it is low working at 63ºC while the CPU core 0 is fully loaded (that is the one making the stutters I believe, and the 1, 2 and 3 still could work more in my 4770k.

I see how in one screen resolution the smooth is great.. but there are a few people that we fly with 3 screens that I hope to see something better in future updates (which I hope I dont have to uninstall everything to re-install the new version!!)

Thanks!

WarpD

Postby WarpD » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:18 pm

There is no legitimate comparison between FSX and Prepar3D. Seriously. You really just can't say that 'FSX does this'... and then expect to apply the same to Prepar3D. The settings in Prepar3D, on the lower levels, is higher than anything you can set in FSX.

If you want better performance, you're going to have to work on your settings until you see a balance between your CPU and your GPU. Right now you have things set so your CPU is busting it's hump trying to drive over 5 million pieces of data per frame.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation

Luis Vargas

Postby Luis Vargas » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:13 am

WarpD wrote:There is no legitimate comparison between FSX and Prepar3D...

Maybe my bad English has caused some confusion, but I did not compare FSX with Prepar3d. I compared P3Dv2.5 X P3Dv3.0 using a benchmark for FSX (fsxmark07) that can be downloaded from AVSIM.

Why I did this? Because the excellent fluidity of version 3.0 people are saying that version 3.0 has much better performance than version 2.5. What I did was to measure the performance of the two at the same conditions (install from scratch and no add-ons) and settings.

WarpD

Postby WarpD » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:27 am

Luis,

Read the post by Japo32. I did not address you but rather their post.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation

Luis Vargas

Postby Luis Vargas » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Ups! Sorry for the mistake, WarpD.

Japo32

Postby Japo32 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:37 pm

WarpD wrote:There is no legitimate comparison between FSX and Prepar3D. Seriously. You really just can't say that 'FSX does this'... and then expect to apply the same to Prepar3D. The settings in Prepar3D, on the lower levels, is higher than anything you can set in FSX.

If you want better performance, you're going to have to work on your settings until you see a balance between your CPU and your GPU. Right now you have things set so your CPU is busting it's hump trying to drive over 5 million pieces of data per frame.

Sorry but I don't buy this one. Yes, I compare fsx with Prepar3d because they come from almost the same code. If you just install something from FSX to P3Dv3 you will make it work but with some bugs... Of course P3Dv3 has advanced a lot in DX11 specially, that allow to have shadows of clouds and other things (manage of VAS, net code... ) but believe me that in FSX with DX10 fixer I had almost the same graphics as in P3Dv3 (with shadows in cockpits) and much more smooth. The reason I changed is because I had more FPS in cities than FSX.

I have been some hours trying to stop stutters in high resolutions. Only setting the land texture to 10m is possible. Incredible with my 980ti

The curius thing about all of this is that in pause mode all jumps from 20 frames to 50 if I set to unlimited and I can move everything smoothly. Of course that is because the GPU is working fully, so the problem is with the CPU, that still is too much demanding in this sim.

WarpD

Postby WarpD » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Yeah... you're really just not listening and deciding that you know more than those who are telling you something.

Kinda makes the discussion moot. Good luck.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:20 pm

Because Prepar3D's newer engine has many new graphics features, and does a much better job of offloading work to the GPU, many features cause performance to scale with resolution. This is a good thing, as it is an indicator that the sim is GPU bound in these cases. V1/FSX Framerates, are largely uneffected by resolution on modern GPUs because the engine is CPU bound.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”