PMDG P3D v3 crash after few hours

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
RVxSpeed

Re: P3Dv3 CTD Event 1000 MSVCR120.dll

Post by RVxSpeed »

update: just completed 11hrs run.without issue.
yorgosGK

Post by yorgosGK »

unfortunately for me, I got it without HT on. However! I did have an AM tweak in my CFG....I just got another one in my long haul flight. I will try the return without any AM tweak and report back.

For what its worth:
PhilH

Re: P3D crash while cruising.

Post by PhilH »

Completely clean reinstall of P3D v3.1, and only installed PMDG 777 + FSUIPC to monitor VAS.
Kernelbase.dll after about 9 hours of flying in a straight line. I must have faulty hardware or a corrupted Windows install or something, I haven't been able to complete a single long haul flight without a crash. :'(
RVxSpeed

Post by RVxSpeed »

just an update.i can now be 100% sure that it's an multi thread related issue.i have completed like four 8hrs+ flights without the CTD.
for people still having this issue.please try it with HT disabled through BIOS & also make sure you do not have AF in your cfg file.
also as a side note: i use exactly this setting for regular use.i would ask everyone to try these settings as these settings will make your experience butter smooth & also will make us a reference line to follow[just like center taxi line :D]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0grEYUv6bJ4
espresso

Post by espresso »

Okay first of all many thanks for the replies!
Could we have something going here? I hope.
Would be great if everybody here could post if turning off HT and leaving all AM tweaks out of the cfg helped.
I myself will be able to test Thursday the earliest. I'll keep you posted!

Oh and btw: Could someone from LM please post if they are looking into this? I opened a support ticket at PMDG and they said that the problem most probably lies within P3Dv3.1, probably VS 2013. They told me to contact LM about it but I cannot open up a support ticket and no support via email.
FRAX

Post by FRAX »

This might sound weird, but maybe it helps:

If my sim crashed during cruise once, I restart p3d and can fly normally. This succeeded in 2 out of 2 tries. I will make some more tries and see what happens.

It seems, that once the sim crashed, and you don't restart your PC, I can fly. This is obviously no solution and not a work around either, since I have to fly for at least 30-60 minutes until the sim crashes.

This is the sum up of my problem:
Basicaly my p3d v3 crashes midflight in a very weird fashon.
From one second to another I can't use my joystick anymore, I can't look around or can control the aircraft. I can use my mouse and keyboard tho, and the aircraft continues flying. I can look around with Spacebar+mouse ect.

BUT... as soon as I open up any menu (Escape, change aircraft, settings,...) the sim crashes with a fatal error. (KERNELBASE.dll Error!)
It only happens in PMDG aircrafts.

After a complete reinstall of p3d I could fly with the 737, but after the installation of the 777 the problem appeared again.
PhilH

Post by PhilH »

Thanks for the details. As for me, I only have the PMDG 777 and the Majestic Q400, but I only crash after 7-9 hours of flight so I have only tested using the PMDG 777 for that long, obviously.

I don't know if I have tried without restarting.

The weird thing is I get a .NET runtime error + KERNELBASE.dll error and appcrash on every single flight, after 7-9 hours of not cliking anything. It works fine for hours and hours, then just crashes, with plenty of VAS remaining. I'm starting to be quite annoyed as I have just spent about 200$ on P3D + addons and I have yet to complete a long haul. It used to work fine with FSX a couple of months ago. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling P3D completely twice so far.
FRAX

Post by FRAX »

I am not sure about the .NET error in my case... I have to do some futher investigations.

What I can confirm tho is that this doesn't happen with the Airbus from Aerosoft or with any other non default aircraft.

Another weird thing is, that you get the error after 7 hours almost every time, while I get (most likely) the same error after 30 - 60 minutes. In addition, in my case, the joystick stops working and after that the sim only crashes if I open up any "new" window (options, airplanes, or time and weather etc.)

My plan now is to do some more testing with the 737 since I haven't used it since I installed the 777 three days ago. After that the only thing that is left for me is reinstalling windows 7 and with that delete everything that can possibly deleted before installing p3d.
PhilH

Post by PhilH »

Ok, thanks for your comments. I'm getting the same errors in my "Event Viewer" that the OP is getting.
Aviator1979

Post by Aviator1979 »

I also have this msvcr120 crashes on 3.1 where i never had it on v3.0 . Also pmdg aircrafts. Hyperthreading off no tweaks in cfg, happens when i click on an area in the vc mostly after few hours in cruise, very annoying.
espresso

Post by espresso »

Update:
I just completed my infamous test flight. Unfortunately I couldn't complete it.
But I did see an improvement: I turned HT off in the BIOS and saw the following changes:
The sim performed better, more fps, more smooth but that's just my impression. No benchmarks done.
I was able to get way past the point where the ususal ctd occured. I was approaching KJFK, moments prior to capturing the LOC and the ILS, clicked the PFD and -> ctd.
RVxSpeed

Post by RVxSpeed »

espresso wrote:Update:
I just completed my infamous test flight. Unfortunately I couldn't complete it.
But I did see an improvement: I turned HT off in the BIOS and saw the following changes:
The sim performed better, more fps, more smooth but that's just my impression. No benchmarks done.
I was able to get way past the point where the ususal ctd occured. I was approaching KJFK, moments prior to capturing the LOC and the ILS, clicked the PFD and -> ctd.
well initially i did ht disable just for the performance increase.but,as a bonus got rid of the CTD.& since LM or PMDG not doing anything regarding this issue.i would suggest every pilots to NOT ENLARGE any display.Instead use zoom in out button for viewing convince.& To be honest enlarging is not also realistic.u can't pull a display from it's original position in a real aircraft.
espresso

Post by espresso »

Another update.
I was able to complete my test flight. I didn't touch the PFD or the ND at all.
So I assume this did the trick.
Let's hope LM and PMDG address these issues asap so that we can all enjoy our sims as they were meant to be.
downscc

Post by downscc »

The big challenge is to figure out why only a few of us have experienced this, which usually points to the problem being on our side and not theirs... but not always.

I am on my 10th flight now without a CTD (note I am the OP) and I can't explain it except that replacing the GTX750Ti with a GTX980Ti did seem to solve the problem. There's nothing wrong with the former, many with it do not have the problem, so I conclude that it is something in how the system (CPU and chipset, memory and GPU) interracts with all those assemblies and modules and drivers... it's magic.

As of a few days ago, Gerard also did an upgrade to the GTX980Ti and is also CTD-free. Can't explain it but there it is.
Dan Downs
KCRP
gerard2101

Post by gerard2101 »

Hi all,

A few weeks ago i replaced my MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G with a GTX980Ti Gaming 6G and since then never had a CTD anymore , left Friday EHAM for KIAD , about 9 hours flying time , 2 hours later departed KIAD for OMDB , 1230 flying time, and after 1 hour departed OMDB for KSEA , 1341 flying time and right now i am at the JAWBN star into KSEA , this is all without shutting down or restarting P3D since Friday afternoon , just tried to enlarge the PFD or ND and absolutely no problems .

The only thing i changed is upgrading to a GTX980Ti , reinstalled the driver (wich i also did previously with my GTX9800 ) and 4 K television and upp the resolution to 3840 UHD , running P3D with the NCP settings provided at Rob's page , P3D settings maxed out , clouds 1 step out of max .

Why upgrading from a GTX980 to a GTX980Ti solved it for me i don't know , a GTX980 is absolutely no light card either .

Best regards ,

Gérard