BLACK SKY WHEN VOLUMETRIC CLOUDS IS TICKED

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
shermank

BLACK SKY WHEN VOLUMETRIC CLOUDS IS TICKED

Post by shermank »

NOTE: I AM CROSS POSTING HERE, AVSIM P3D FORUM AND AT THE ACTIVE SKY HIFI FORUM

Recently, after using EA with VC on a regular basis I decided to experiment and check visuals without VC. That was fine, until this morning when I decided again to give VC a look. Instead of what I was expecting, I saw only solid black sky, but only with Active Sky activated.
Please note that on the AS forum there is an issue similar to mine in which a responded suggested uninstalling and reinstalling P3d Content. I did that, but that did not solve my issue.
So, while I suspect this is an AS issue, I am posting here as well in the hopes that someone can steer me back on the right path.
My system is centered around
P3D V5.3 VERSION 28160
AS+ASCA
ENVTEX WITH SHADE AND TEXTURES
NVIDIA DRIVER 528.02 (REVERTED BACK FROM THE NEWEST CURRENT VERSION)
NVIDIA 166Oti CARD

Thanks to all who might have some cure...
Sherm
agfreeman

Re: BLACK SKY WHEN VOLUMETRIC CLOUDS IS TICKED

Post by agfreeman »

Did you resolve your issue in the end?
shermank

Post by shermank »

I have not posted yet about this, because I am still testing. But, I received a response elsewhere which suggested the culprit is ENVSHADE/ENVTEX. I did make some changes and yesterday did see a return to normalcy. So, for now, I think it fair to say this issue is solved. Should it reappear I will post accordingly.
Thanks for your interest.

Sherm
melvinarda

Post by melvinarda »

it appears that the issue could be related to Active Sky.

Here are a few things you can try:

Ensure that Active Sky and P3D are both up-to-date with the latest version.
Check your Active Sky settings to ensure that the weather conditions are properly configured.
Try disabling any third-party weather add-ons or texture programs to see if they are causing any conflicts.
Check your P3D graphics settings and ensure that they are properly configured.
If all else fails, try a clean reinstall of Active Sky and P3D.
Additionally, you may want to check the Active Sky support forums for any known issues or solutions related to your specific problem.
sent from Android.
shermank

Post by shermank »

Thanks Melvinarda,

The tip about ENVSHADE came from one of the AS developers on the AS forum. And, as noted, problem seems to be solved

Sherm
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

What changes to ENVSHADE did you do?
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

I would say you may need to rebuild your shaders for the sim.

Firstly, delete the files within shader cache which is in the C:\Users\YOURPC\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 area of your PC for the sim. Its a folder that says SHADERS, just delete what is in the folder, not the folder itself.

Then load into sim.
If this doesnt work, then delete the actual SHADERSHLSL folder within the sim. Run the repair feature (no need to uninstall) for the content in the classic control panel for windows.
Then run the sim and it should be fine.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 3.7Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 64G DDR4 Core Speed 3200Ghz
OS: Windows 10 (tweaked/modded for Flight Sim Performance)
shermank

Post by shermank »

Sky_King wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:45 pm What changes to ENVSHADE did you do?
Not much…just loaded in one of the half dozen or so cfg files I have created over the past few months…sorry, can’t be more specific

Sherm