[View Groups] Misalignment after startup and VC view still visible

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
RomanR

[View Groups] Misalignment after startup and VC view still visible

Post by RomanR »

Hello,

I have a homecockpit in which I'm running three TV's. The PC that runs these three TV's also has an extra monitor on my desk where I load the flight start all the tools I need. I created a view group that includes three seperate views for the TV's in the cockpit. Unfortunately I have to issues with the view group.

1.)Everytime I load a flight the views are all messed up - for example the center view is on the left screen, the left view is on the reght screen and the right view is on the left screen.

2.) The view group is already selected when I start up P3D. However the normal Virtual Cockpit view is also still open on my desk monitor which should show nothing. If I make a right click I can see that the tickboxes of the virtual cockpit AND the view group is checked. However I only want the view group to be ticked as I assume the additional VC view will just cost performance for now reason.

I would appreciate it very much if someone has some tips to solve this. Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards
Roman
Sabre57

Re: [View Groups] Misalignment after startup and VC view still visible

Post by Sabre57 »

Not sure if I understand how your 4th monitor is configured. Is the 4th monitor, not the TVs, the main p3d monitor where the menu bar would show?
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
RomanR

Post by RomanR »

Yes, the window on my 4th monitor is somehow the main window and the virtual cockpit view. I don't know how to get rid of it. Sometimes it works just fine and the start up screen also shows up on one of the TV's as it should, but most of the time it will be shown on my 4th screen where the "additional" view will show up as soon as I load a flight.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

There are several things that could cause this. I know as I've experienced all kinds of weird things with view groups. I would suggest that you start with these steps:

1 - Start the sim and turn off the view group
2 - Drag the main p3d screen to your center tv if its not already there
3 - Turn off the 4th monitor
4 - Save the flight
5 - Exit the sim
6 - Leave the 4th monitor off and start the sim again
7 - Turn on the view group

If the view group is working correctly then fly like this a couple of times, exiting and getting back into the sim, without starting the 4th monitor. This will tell you that the view group is working correctly.

If the views are messed up then you probably have a mis-match between the P3D display numbers and your views within the group. Adjust that until the view group works correctly.

Let us know what happens and then we can work to get the 4th monitor working correctly for you.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
RomanR

Post by RomanR »

Thank you very much for your instructions, this seems to help although the issue with the fourth monitor happens randomly (maybe in 3 out of 5 cases), so maybe it comes back again.

Another thing I noticed: When I start the TV's before the PC I don't get the views to be messed up.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

For some reason P3D likes to change display IDs when this happens. Is the 4th monitor being used by P3d for things like gauge panels or are you using it with external programs?
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
RomanR

Post by RomanR »

Yes that's pretty strange as the IDs don't change in windows display settings, just in P3D. The 4th monitor is used for nothing regarding P3D. The whole P3D PC just displays the outside view on the three TVs. All instruments are on different network PCs.
RomanR

Post by RomanR »

Hello again,

I was able to fix the additional VC view showing up with Sabres help. However I the screens are still misaligned every time I load a flight and the PC and TVs have been shut down in between. It's always the center and the right screen that are switched. One time the center screen has the display ID 1 and the right screen the display ID 2. The next time it's just the other way around. So I'm just switching the Display IDs from this two screens every time I start P3D :(
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

QQ. How are you changing the display IDs?
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
RomanR

Post by RomanR »

I'm not changing the display IDs in windows or NVIDIA control panel. I'm just switching the IDs of the affected displays in the view group settings if the problem occurs. I'm just switching back and forth in these settings everytime I load a flight.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

RomanR wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:39 pm I'm not changing the display IDs in windows or NVIDIA control panel. I'm just switching the IDs of the affected displays in the view group settings if the problem occurs. I'm just switching back and forth in these settings everytime I load a flight.
This is really a speculative hunch but it's something you may want to try. One of your monitor ports on the GPU is the primary port. You will know which one is primary by the motherboard boot screen that comes up on it. And it doesn't matter if the monitor is turned on or not. This is something that's in the BIOS of the GPU.

So find out what port is primary and if that is not the screen you want as primary for P3D then switch the connections on the card. I assume that you want your center screen to be the primary sim screen.

You may have to adjust screen placement in NV/windows control panel as well as the viewgroup display IDs.

If you do try this, I'm very interested in your results.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
RomanR

Post by RomanR »

That's a good point. I've just seen a video about primary ports a few days ago, but didn't think that this could be related to my problem.

As far as I remember displays are numbered according to the port they're connected to, so Display 1 would be the primary port. Unfortunately that is the only HDMI port on the GPU. All the TVs are connected to DP. Therefore I first need to get a new cable that's long enough and connects to HDMI. The affected TVs have the IDs 2 and 3 in NVIDIA/Windows, but 1 and 2 in P3D (now it's getting confusing :D ).