Cloud base offset

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Almogatar

Cloud base offset

Post by Almogatar »

Hello,

I'm having some issues with cloud base altitudes, when trying to create a low ceiling overcast cloud base is higher by 500ft to 1000ft than it should. I've discovered the issue while using active sky real live weather when on approach to an airport with OVC008 but broke out of the clouds at around 1800ft.
The problem can be replicated easily when using either AS real live weather, AS manual weather or P3D weather menu (no AS at all) and with different graphic settings (EA on, EA on with volumetric clouds off and EA off - each setting creates a different offset).

The following scenario: OVC003 set manually with P3D weather menu. Clouds are actually around 1500ft.

FSUIPC log shows "Cloud1: type=9, from 300ft to 4300ft (+/- 0ft), cover 8, turb 0, ice 0" and "GLOB&A0 271259Z 00000KT&D609NG 100KM&B-457&D5029 8CU003&CU000FNVN000N 15/05 Q1013"

I've tried to revert back to default textures and shaders and without any WX addons but that didn't fix it.

Thanks
Martyson

Re: Cloud base offset

Post by Martyson »

@ Almogatar ,

You mentioned:
"I've tried to revert back to default textures and shaders"

Custom P3D setup ?
Which non-P3D default products / files / mods are you testing with?

Are you making weather mods on-the-fly during the flight / approach or are you setting weather specs at the start of the flight and flying a full flight?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Almogatar

Post by Almogatar »

Envshade for shaders and REX for cloud textures (tried with ASCA as well).
But as I said, I've tried with default shaders and textures as well.

Thanks
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Almogatar wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:39 pm Envshade for shaders and REX for cloud textures (tried with ASCA as well).
But as I said, I've tried with default shaders and textures as well.

Thanks
@ Almogatar ,

How long have you had this observation / problem on a default P3D install?

Which P3D Product and full version xxxyyy number are you using?

Are you making weather mods on-the-fly during the flight / approach or are you setting weather specs at the start of the flight and flying a full flight?
Best Regards,
Almogatar

Post by Almogatar »

Can't really say how long but yes, with default P3D install as well.
P3D V5.2 HF1 5.2.22.27615
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Almogatar wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:45 pm Can't really say how long but yes, with default P3D install as well.
P3D V5.2 HF1 5.2.22.27615
Best Regards,
Almogatar

Post by Almogatar »

I first noticed it during a normal flight using AS real live weather, since then I'm playing around trying to understand what causing it so using both AS real live weather around airports with low ceilings and P3D manual weather (as seen in the pictures above - Active sky turned off when using the manual P3D wx). Results are quite the same, 500 to 1000ft offset.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Almogatar wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:51 pm I first noticed it during a normal flight using AS real live weather, since then I'm playing around trying to understand what causing it so using both AS real live weather around airports with low ceilings and P3D manual weather (as seen in the pictures above - Active sky turned off when using the manual P3D wx). Results are quite the same, 500 to 1000ft offset.
Have you contacted / asked Active Sky Support forum?

Are you still using custom mods for dark cockpit on your setup?
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4&start=15
Best Regards,
Almogatar

Post by Almogatar »

Yes I'm in contact with them for several days now.
But as I said, this situation occurs even without AS as seen in the pictures above- AS turned off completely and weather is set via P3D weather menu.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Almogatar wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:01 pm Yes I'm in contact with them for several days now.
But as I said, this situation occurs even without AS as seen in the pictures above- AS turned off completely and weather is set via P3D weather menu.
Are you still using custom mods for dark cockpit on your setup?
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4&start=15
Best Regards,
Almogatar

Post by Almogatar »

Not using this specific tweak but the photo was taken with ENVSHADE shaders.
As suggested by HIFI support I've already tried with default shaders without any mods, weather and visual add-ons and got the same results.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Almogatar wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:06 pm Not using this specific tweak but the photo was taken with ENVSHADE shaders.
As suggested by HIFI support I've already tried with default shaders without any mods, weather and visual add-ons and got the same results.
I looked just now on AS forum but did not see your post.
Do you have a link or which section of the AS forum did you post in?

Note:
"As suggested by HIFI support I've already tried with default shaders without any mods"

You have been making custom setups / changes so no telling how close to a default setup you are right now.
Best Regards,
Almogatar

Post by Almogatar »

I've opened a ticket, I'm in contact with Damian through their support system.

I'm currently using REX textures with ENVSHADE shaders but as I said, the problem exists even with default shaders and textures (I did uninstall/re-install for client and content as HIFI suggested and even tried on a different PC without addons)
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Almogatar wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:17 pm I've opened a ticket, I'm in contact with Damian through their support system.

I'm currently using REX textures with ENVSHADE shaders but as I said, the problem exists even with default shaders and textures (I did uninstall/re-install for client and content as HIFI suggested and even tried on a different PC without addons)
Ok,

That is why I did not find your topic in their forum.
I had previously asked :Have you contacted / asked Active Sky Support forum?
"Yes I'm in contact with them for several days now."

Did Damian say they tried to duplicate / test your situation?

Is Damian still actively looking into it?
Best Regards,
Almogatar

Post by Almogatar »

Yes the ticket is still open.
He tried, on one occasion he had the correct base but on a different occasion 300ft offset but he said that its probably because of his ASCA cloud model.