P3D v5.2 HF1 - FPS during Takeoff

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Hanse

P3D v5.2 HF1 - FPS during Takeoff

Post by Hanse »

Hi,

I recognized that during takeoff (before liftoff and I am still on the runway) e.g. when the plane is acellerating my FPS drops from 35 to around 20. I played around with the settings (details, load distance etc.) but the general behaviour did not change. Is there a "trick" I can use to change this e.g. get nearly fixed FPS during takeoff? Or do I have to accept this as a normal P3D v5 behaviour? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rolf
JorgenSA

Re: P3D v5.2 HF1 - FPS during Takeoff

Post by JorgenSA »

Rolf,

What are your system specifications, and your P3D version?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hanse wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:06 am Hi,

I recognized that during takeoff (before liftoff and I am still on the runway) e.g. when the plane is acellerating my FPS drops from 35 to around 20. I played around with the settings (details, load distance etc.) but the general behaviour did not change. Is there a "trick" I can use to change this e.g. get nearly fixed FPS during takeoff? Or do I have to accept this as a normal P3D v5 behaviour? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rolf
Hanse,
Rolf

I see you are using P3dv5.2HF1

I have the same P3D version installed.

I could do a quick test if I knew which aircraft you used for the flight / takeoff?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Hanse

Post by Hanse »

Thanks for the quick response.

As plane I am using the Aerosoft A320 together with an add-on airport and an ORBX region. I believe my hardware is not the problem:
- CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz - overclocked to 4.60GHz
- GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (3840 x 1600 x 4294967296 Farben)
- GPU Driver 472.12
- RAM 32GB @ 2400MHz
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hanse wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:23 am Thanks for the quick response.

As plane I am using the Aerosoft A320 together with an add-on airport and an ORBX region. I believe my hardware is not the problem:
- CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz - overclocked to 4.60GHz
- GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (3840 x 1600 x 4294967296 Farben)
- GPU Driver 472.12
- RAM 32GB @ 2400MHz
Hanse,
Rolf

You are welcome.

I also have CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
But I do not over clock the CPU (or anything else) on my setup.
The CPU automatically goes into its 5GHz Turbo mode as soon as P3D starts.
GeForce RTX2080Ti 11GB
** Nvidia newer driver496.13
RAM 32GB

I do not have Aerosoft A320 but I do have Orbx regions.

Maybe we could both do a departure with the default P3D F-35A from an Orbx region airport?
Best Regards,
Hanse

Post by Hanse »

I tried it using the F35 and the P3D standard airport KRND and got the same results https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahg1-QJpswH_jxSRa5C ... C?e=QRaWVU e.g. during aceleration the FPS dropped app. by more than 10. So it seems that it is not related to an add-on airport or one of the ORBX regions.But on the other hand this effect does not happen on some other airports like ORBX LOWI. So maybe it is related to my settings e.g. that during takeoff for some airports a "recalculation" is necessary?

It would be interesting to know if someone can recreate this effect or if this is special on my system.

Regards,
Rolf
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hanse wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:18 pm I tried it using the F35 and the P3D standard airport KRND and got the same results https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahg1-QJpswH_jxSRa5C ... C?e=QRaWVU e.g. during aceleration the FPS dropped app. by more than 10. So it seems that it is not related to an add-on airport or one of the ORBX regions.But on the other hand this effect does not happen on some other airports like ORBX LOWI. So maybe it is related to my settings e.g. that during takeoff for some airports a "recalculation" is necessary?

It would be interesting to know if someone can recreate this effect or if this is special on my system.

Regards,
Rolf
Hanse,
Rolf

I will do the same test now and see if I get a FPS drop.
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

My test results

Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hanse,
Rolf

What program are you using to track FPS (your screenshot) and other data?

Note:
I have Volumetric Clouds turned On and that causes a natural FPS drop.

You are not using Volumetric Clouds .
Best Regards,
Hanse

Post by Hanse »

Thanks for the screenshots which prove that in some ways you have the same effect on your system e. g. the FPS are dropping during acceleration by more than 10 FPS. This is no problem if I start from 40 or more (like on your or mine screenshots) but if you start from around 30 FPS like I do on a big add-on airport and ORBX regions and the FPS drops until below 20 (result stuttering) then you want to find a solution, because after liftoff you are slowly gaining again the original rate. Just to adapt my settings for takeoff is not a solution to me.

I am not using the P3D volumetric cloud because I use ActiveSky and ASCA, there those settings ore OFF. Of course FPS drops after activation of AS and ASCA but after that the numbers are stable.

For displaying all relevant data I use MSI Afterburner which includes a solution for OSD.

Regards,
Rolf
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Rolf,

What you need to do is adapt your P3D installation so that it more closely matches your hardware.

Go here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... ation.html

and here:

https://simmershome.de/prepare3d-v5-einstellungen (I suspect you are German so you should be able to read this, otherwise you can change it to other languages)

and for calculating the value for AffinityMask, use this calculator:

https://www.gfsg.co.uk/affinitymask.asp ... m=utilties

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hanse,
Rolf

For your review.
My test at Orbx LOWI

Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hanse wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:09 pm Thanks for the screenshots which prove that in some ways you have the same effect on your system e. g. the FPS are dropping during acceleration by more than 10 FPS. This is no problem if I start from 40 or more (like on your or mine screenshots) but if you start from around 30 FPS like I do on a big add-on airport and ORBX regions and the FPS drops until below 20 (result stuttering) then you want to find a solution, because after liftoff you are slowly gaining again the original rate. Just to adapt my settings for takeoff is not a solution to me.

I am not using the P3D volumetric cloud because I use ActiveSky and ASCA, there those settings ore OFF. Of course FPS drops after activation of AS and ASCA but after that the numbers are stable.

For displaying all relevant data I use MSI Afterburner which includes a solution for OSD.

Regards,
Rolf
Hanse,
Rolf

You are welcome.

"add-on airport and ORBX regions and the FPS drops until below 20 (result stuttering)"
You did not mention that in your first post.
I am not seeing that problem.

"For displaying all relevant data I use MSI Afterburner which includes a solution for OSD."
That is known to cause problems with P3D.

When posting problems be sure to mention if you were using MSI Afterburner and other ADD-ons / utility software.

Best to do problem testing and reporting in the forum with as much a default P3D set as possible.

Notes:
I lock FPS at 29 for my normal setup / flights and the FPS stays at 29.

FPS drops are normal when using Unlimited FPS in P3D options.

I never "tweek" / overclock anything for P3D performance.
I only use the settings and sliders in P3D Options.
Best Regards,
Hanse

Post by Hanse »

Hi Jorgen and Vaughn,

Thanks for all the input. Of course I know all the documents mentioned and even more like the one from RD on P3D v5. But nowhere the effect I described is explained. So I talked to some experts (add-on developers) and they confirmed my findings.

If you use the P3D standard settings there is no such effect (confirmed). But if you enhance / increase those settings the additional needed memory / load is "loaded" when the plane starts to move e.g. accelerates. This means of course lower FPS and the difference is based on the additional amount to be loaded. One of the "FPS-killers" is "Autogen and scenery draw distance" if set higher than MEDIUM.

The effect also varies between several add-on airports based on the original amount of memory already loaded and the additional amount needed. ORBX LOWI is a typical case for this scenario e.g. not too much additional loading needed during takeoff.

Based on all this input I now was able to find my right settings for such "heavy" airports.

Regards,
Rolf
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Good show, Rolf.

I remember from my FSX days that road traffic could also be a frame rate killer. My road traffic is set to 20%, which on my system is a good enough compromise.

Jorgen