Severe drop in fps on take-off P3DV5 HF2

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
zalcantar

Re: Severe drop in fps on take-off P3DV5 HF2

Postby zalcantar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 pm

In the default airport and default F35 and on the runway I have 30isch fps. When I throttle up the fps starts to drop to 7 and lower! Tried several graphics settings but no change.
This also happens at other thirdparty airports. Did not experience this in HF1. Help appreciated.

Peter Hougardy
Can you try:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=138770
Zalcantar
MSI GE75 Raider 9SF laptop -Windows 10 version 1909 -i9-9880H -RTX 2070 8GB -32 GB DDR4 -V5 HF2 -ASP3D B7 w/ASCA -ORBX NA/EUR/Base/Vector - PROATCX -High settings/Dense AG -Locked @36fps -EA on -Stable for now

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:26 pm

In the default airport and default F35 and on the runway I have 30isch fps. When I throttle up the fps starts to drop to 7 and lower! Tried several graphics settings but no change.
This also happens at other thirdparty airports. Did not experience this in HF1. Help appreciated.

Peter Hougardy
You could run through all the General Debugging Steps :
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

hougardy

Postby hougardy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 pm

I tried your suggestions, changed Nvidia drivers, clean install - no change. Tried the dynamictick tip - no change. My CPU temps are between 44-78 Celcius and my GPU changes (depending on airport from 3.5-5 out of 10.
In the default startup: about 30 on the runway, but doing nothing fps fluctuates and even drops to 3 - in the air between 7 and 14.
At an ORBX field LDDU 30 at the gate but texture rendering in layers with black buildings and black/chrome stationary planes - fps drops to 3 - on runway and in the air the same 7-14, but crsip and clear clouds, ocean and land! Something is eating away my fps!
At KMIA airport very slow build up, planes with housing textures as part of build u, eventually turing into proper texture (livery).

Can I post pictures?

I hope we can find a solution before I do a full re-install......
Thanks,
Peter

zalcantar

Postby zalcantar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:45 pm

I tried your suggestions, changed Nvidia drivers, clean install - no change. Tried the dynamictick tip - no change. My CPU temps are between 44-78 Celcius and my GPU changes (depending on airport from 3.5-5 out of 10.
In the default startup: about 30 on the runway, but doing nothing fps fluctuates and even drops to 3 - in the air between 7 and 14.
At an ORBX field LDDU 30 at the gate but texture rendering in layers with black buildings and black/chrome stationary planes - fps drops to 3 - on runway and in the air the same 7-14, but crsip and clear clouds, ocean and land! Something is eating away my fps!
At KMIA airport very slow build up, planes with housing textures as part of build u, eventually turing into proper texture (livery).

Can I post pictures?

Thanks,
Peter
How many watts is your power supply? And just to be sure youre using high performance power setting? Sometimes Windows will switch it to balanced on its own.
Zalcantar
MSI GE75 Raider 9SF laptop -Windows 10 version 1909 -i9-9880H -RTX 2070 8GB -32 GB DDR4 -V5 HF2 -ASP3D B7 w/ASCA -ORBX NA/EUR/Base/Vector - PROATCX -High settings/Dense AG -Locked @36fps -EA on -Stable for now

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Can I post pictures?

Thanks,
Peter
Peter,

Post screenshot (by Kayla):
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&t=122277
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

zalcantar

Postby zalcantar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:12 pm

I suggest downloading throttlestop to monitor your voltages and CPU GPU load during your flight, it's rare but potentially your power supply could be inadequate or failing causing your GPU or CPU to throttle. while I doubt this is the case having throttlestop just to see what your processor cores are doing can be handy for diagnosing what's happening.
Zalcantar

hougardy

Postby hougardy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:56 pm

I checked temps and power with the throttlestop tool (750W Corsair), all ok. I reinstalled the Geforce driver, I deleted the prepar3d.cfg and started on that base with ENAL airport (ORBX): see weird loading images below with fps of 14! With loading eg EDDF takes a while with black and funny textures but then looks ok, but fps 4! Default startup with F35 has 14 fps, in the air 9 drops to 6 and back to 14....

I had another interesting discovery not P3D related as,....I checked out the alpha version of MSFS2020: 40fps on runway.....7-9 fps in the air -> same problem, weird. Hardware related? Videocard? I have no clue.....

Thanks,
Peter

hougardy

Postby hougardy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:19 pm

SOLVED THE HARD WAY; FULL NEW RE-install - Everything works again and 30 fps as fixed ok :-)
Great similator (and more to come!).
Thanks,
Peter

sho69607

Postby sho69607 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:57 pm

I suggest downloading throttlestop to monitor your voltages and CPU GPU load during your flight, it's rare but potentially your power supply could be inadequate or failing causing your GPU or CPU to throttle. while I doubt this is the case having throttlestop just to see what your processor cores are doing can be handy for diagnosing what's happening.
I installed this tool and was wondering if there is anything I need to configure before hand or is it automatic? It looks like it switches to game mode when I open p3d which I am assuming is correct. I have a 9 year old corsair PSU that I am replacing next week. I am wondering if it may be contributing to these problems.

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:42 am

SOLVED THE HARD WAY; FULL NEW RE-install - Everything works again and 30 fps as fixed ok :-)
Thanks,
Peter
A reinstall sets all settings to default, also the traffic sliders are set to Zero.

My experience is, that AIG AI traffic, becomes a critical amount when installing too much airlines and GA traffic. The traffic sliders can hardly influence it since the traffic files are set to 1% by default. So it can only set on or off. Maybe it's also related to Simobjects used in the sim. I had all airlines and all GA traffic installed and got only 0.6 fps. With only mayor airlines I have a totally fluent simulation. Adding some airlines more, just breaks it again. That's for 4.5 HF3 as well as 5.0 HF2. All other settings are marginal with a high end righ. I can add quality and quantity, distances and it has almost no influence in fps. It's even better to set distances to the max, to force the sim to load more and therefore avoiding load stutters.

Dan
GPU KFA2 RTX2080 Super Ex

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:15 am

The traffic alone does not cause issues.

In v. 5 HF2 I have about 7,000 AI aircraft flight plans, and about 120 GB of AI aircraft installed. I also have Henrik Nielsen's AI ship traffic installed. The only other add-on is FSUIPC 6.

The Airline and GA traffic densities are set to 100%, Freeway density to 20%, and Ship/Ferries and Leisure boats to 30%.

And the sim runs smoothly, no stutters of any kind, including on take-off. I have no idea what the frame rate is, because I do not care about that, I care about the sim running smoothly as in real life - you know, that crazy thingy that goes on outside the aircraft windows? The frame rate, when the sim runs smoothly and life-like, is good enough.

The reason I do not have other add-ons installed right now is that with 4 GB of VRAM, my graphics card is just adequate enough for v. 5. When the budget allows, and the nVidia 3000-series comes out, then we'll see what I can do.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 graphics w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:48 pm

The traffic alone does not cause issues.

Jorgen
Jorgen, you should not always comment on other peoples posts. On your system, with your addons and other traffic, traffic may at the moment not be the critical point. You have your system but you can't speak for all of us.
You always express your opinion as an unalterable fact. At the moment, we don't know, why my faster system behaves worse with traffic as yours.

Traffic is one point to consider, if all other things did not help. It's not about who is the best expert here, but what experience have others and what can help others. Be happy, you can fly without terrible stutters or crashes.

I have an idea, that maybe the sode setting to attach jetways to ai could make a big difference, if a lot of traffic is set. What is your setting for this? I assume you have SODE, since lot of addons require it.
What about GSX2. Don't you have this installed?

Dan
GPU KFA2 RTX2080 Super Ex

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:07 pm

I have my opinionated opinions, yes (look in my signature), and of course I know that what happens on my system does not necessarily happen on others.

But my system is pretty close to a virgin installation, and can, if necessary, quickly be brought to a totally virgin installation, so we can see whether something is really a genuine P3D issue.

As for my add-ons: SODE yes, v. 1.7.1 (I had forgotten about that, sorry) and GSX no.

Where would you find the SODE settings you are looking for? I have been treating SODE as an install-and-forget type of software.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 graphics w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks,
Peter
Peter,

You are welcome.
Glad to hear your problem is resolved.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”