3DSMax Oil rig sample "missing files"

SDK supports Prepar3D’s philosophy of an open development architecture and encourages third parties to bring new innovations with improved add-ons and training content.
Rob Ainscough

3DSMax Oil rig sample "missing files"

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Looks like the Oil Rig.max sample provided in the SDK has hard coded full paths to the texture files.

I attempted to "Browse" to the actual path on my PC but 3DSMax seems to ignore it and I get no textures on the 3D Model in the viewer ... any hints?

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: 3DSMax Oil rig sample "missing files"

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Rob,

There is a texture directory at the same level as the max file containing these files.

Thanks,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Hi Rob,

Yes, I'm aware of those files and I select the browse option to select that path to the files but they don't show up in 3DSMax model view ... I was expecting to see the textures applied to the 3D model in 3DSMax but all I get is a textureless default gray model.

I created a new project with a primitive (cylinder) and was able to map the oil rig texture to the primitive and see the texture.

After some trial and error with the Oil Rig.max project, other than finding 3DSMax to be perhaps the worse user interface ever created (they need to take some UI lessons from Maxon Cinema4D for a good UI ... I can't even dock the material editor??), I found the texture path to the respective object was indeed still using the wrong R:\... path ... which begs the question what was the point of having me Browse and set "Use Path" when prompted for the missing files when 3DSMax doesn't actually update the file path in the project once I select the correct path?

Anyway, so I hunted for the "M" (texture) for each object and found the wrong path and I tried to update the path to the correct location on my PC ... BUT, if I select oil_rig_texture_2.bmp 3DSMax actually uses oil_rig_texture_1.bmp and generates a oil_rig_texture_1.ifl?? The mapped texture doesn't look right of course since it's not the correct one even though I picked the correct texture.

I must admit, this "adventure" into 3DSMax using some of the P3D samples has left me wondering if I want to get into modeling at all ... something that should have been brain dead simple has turned into a multi-hour process of research and trial and error. I'm sure seasoned 3DSMax users are probably laughing at my exploits but this initial tutorial process has pushed me away rather than got me excited to proceed.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
Pyscen

Post by Pyscen »

Hello...

Has this been resolved? I am having the very same issue as the original post. It does appear to be hard-coded on the paths.