Whats required to use latest SimConnect API

lshewell

Postby lshewell » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:47 pm

I made an attempt to use SimConnect with Visual Studio 2008 and ran into numerous issues. Aside from multiple linker warnings, what prevented it from working is a runtime message about missing MSVCR90.DLL.

After reading all forum entries related to this, I'm left somewhat confused. The SimConnect Setup section in the SDK documentation says you can use Visual Studio 2005 or later. Comments on the forum seemed to indicate that you have to use Visual Studio 2010 in order to link with SimConnect.lib.

The bottom line--

(1) What is required to use the latest SimConnect API that ships with Prepar3D?

(2) Can I use Visual Studio 2008?

(3) If I have to use an older version of SimConnect, where do I get that?

Thanks,

Larry

Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Postby Adam Breed » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Larry,

You will need to use Visual Studio 2010 in order to develop with the latest SimConnect API. The documentation was updated after the initial release to clarify that point. In fact, if you look at the online SDK documentation, it has already been updated.

There has been some success developing with Visual Studio 2008, but it is not recommended or directly supported (you should be developing with V100/.NET 4 platforms).

Older versions of SimConnect do not support any additional features that have been added during the development of Prepar3D. If your goal is to create software that works with Prepar3D, using the Prepar3D SimConnect will be your best option.
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager

lshewell

Postby lshewell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks for the information. I don't think the documentation was updated however. The following is copied from the online SDK.

All Projects

Ensure that Visual Studio 2005 or later, or Visual C++ or C# 2005 Express Edition or later, have been set to 32 bit only. When installed with a 64 bit operating system, these tools will default to a setting which is incompatible with SimConnect.dll. Go through the steps in the Setting x86 Platform Configuration section if you are working with a 64 bit operating system.

Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Postby Adam Breed » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi Larry,

You are correct, the changes were only made to the overview level. The Core Utilities Kit documentation will be updated on the next push (coming very soon). Thank you!

Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager

Return to “SimConnect Interface Questions”