Getting nose wheel position from P3D

Discuss on the SimConnect SDK can be used by programmers to write add-on components for Prepar3D
Flygard

Getting nose wheel position from P3D

Post by Flygard »

Hi,

I'm making a motorised, force-feedback tiller (flying 737 and using P3D+Prosim+FSUIPC).

I'm a little new to the whole suite (coming from X-Plane) so it's a little difficult knowing how to get started.

Basically I need my Arduino device to be able to read the nose wheel position from P3D somehow (or from Prosim or FSUIPC for that matter). The difference between the actual nose wheel position and the tiller position is what will determine how aggressive force feedback I'll use.

But I'm a little confused about where to start. It seems IOCP+SIOC would be a good starting point for setting the nose wheel position, but reading the actual nose wheel position seems a little harder.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start? Is Simconnect the right thing, or should I look elsewhere?
EllipticCurve

Re: Getting nose wheel position from P3D

Post by EllipticCurve »

It's not possible to "read" it, because what you set *is* the position. There is no in-built delay.

While there is a seperate tiller input now, the nose gear is still linked to the rudder axis, so you would read the rudder axis to read the nose wheel position.

P3D doesn't do much for you. If you want to happen, you need to write it yourself.

P3D will seem primitive compared to what you may be used to with XP. You can make it do what you want (mostly) but it will take more effort.
All comments and opinions are my own.
hso

Post by hso »

Wouldn't the SimConnect variable GEAR CENTER STEER ANGLE be exactly what you need?

Setting up SimConnect is not quite trivial for a novice, but there are generic guides for that. You'll need the SDK.
Pete Dowson

Post by Pete Dowson »

hso wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:50 am Wouldn't the SimConnect variable GEAR CENTER STEER ANGLE be exactly what you need?

That value is available in an FSUIPC6 offset:

0C10 4 (a 32 bit float I think, FLT32)

Gear Center Steer Angle, as percent over 100. Values should be
in the -1 to +1 range, but I have noticed values outside this range
(-1.37 to +1.37), so have left this uncalibrated.

so you could monitor it via FSUIPC6 Logging (which is available in the free unegistered install too) to check it does what is needed.

This was added after John took over FSUIPC development. It isn't in FSUIPC5.

Pete
My System

Win10: 22H2 build 19045.2728
Processor: I9 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Mobo: Maximus XI Extreme Z390
Memory: 32Gb at 3900 MHz.
GPU: RTX 24Gb Titan
Displays: 2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen
P3D5 set with 2 windows using ViewGroups