Depicting engine fire on simobject

Discuss on the SimConnect SDK can be used by programmers to write add-on components for Prepar3D
metacraft

Depicting engine fire on simobject

Post by metacraft »

Hello all,

Is it possible to trigger an engine fire (and actually see the flames and smoke) on an aircraft that you have injected into the sim with SimConnect with AICreateSimulatedObject or AICreateNonATCAircraft?

I have tried setting the ENG ON FIRE:1 variable, but it seems to be ignored. (No error, but no effect.) This works fine for the user aircraft, but not for AI aircraft.

I feel like there must be a way to do this as I assume it's a common simulation requirement among the Prepar3D customer base.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

-Ross Carlson
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Depicting engine fire on simobject

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Ross,

Currently AI objects cannot have failures injected to them but there is a potential workaround that may suit your needs. You can use SimConnect to spawn effects so you could attach a fire effect to that entity. You could then set it's hit points to zero causing the aircraft to fall out of the sky. SimDirector could be used as well if additional triggers are needed (i.e. proximity triggers or other advanced AI behaviors).

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead