Is the BaseObject.Setposition's pitch rotation blocked beyond the -90~90 range?

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
kalsbold

Is the BaseObject.Setposition's pitch rotation blocked beyond the -90~90 range?

Post by kalsbold »

I am trying UDP communication using linux Simulation, which is one of the examples.

However, regardless of the model of the aircraft, it only allows a range of -90 to 90 for pitch rotation, and if it exceeds this range, it goes down in reverse.

For example, -80 degrees represents a rotation equal to -100 degrees.

Of course, I converted from degree to radian.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Re: Is the BaseObject.Setposition's pitch rotation blocked beyond the -90~90 range?

Post by Mike Schroeter »

This is the standard Euler angle convention we use. Pitch angle is defined as the angle above horizontal, which can only be a max of +/- 90 degrees. For example, an aircraft rotating over the top would go down (as you've noted), but bank angle would invert, e.g. 0 to 180 degrees. It would not make sense to have a looping airplane with a 100 degree pitch angle at 0 bank.

Hope this helps illustrate it.

Mike
kalsbold

Re: Is the BaseObject.Setposition's pitch rotation blocked beyond the -90~90 range?

Post by kalsbold »

Then if you want the aircraft to rotate 360 ​​degrees pitch, Should I use a quaternion transform?
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Post by Mike Schroeter »

Yes, that is the most acceptable method.