Targeting Pod Sample camera control

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
corbu1

Targeting Pod Sample camera control

Post by corbu1 »

Hello,
I have problems controlling the camera system in the Targeting Pod sample.

I v4 it worked without issues. I had it there in the VC implemented via the render to texture feature.
Camera control was possible via mapping the hotas slew axis left/right and up/down to a controller in the axis assignment menu.
Also sensor mode and zoom worked with mapping the hotas keys A0 to A3 to contoller buttons in the key assignment menu.

Now in v5 this doesn‘t work anymore. V5 is installed on a new sim rig. Neither v5 HF2 or v5.1 work correct with the targetting pod sample.
In v5 the targeting pod camera system seems to be slaved to the users view eyepoint and the mapped buttons and axis as described above do not work.
In VR it is extremly painful, as moving the head with targeting pod active gets the hmd‘s view completly out of sync. It‘s as the hmd‘s two lenses do look in different directions......and you can‘t bring them back in sync anymore. Only way is to disable VR and abort the flight.

Do v5 and v5.1 do handle the targeting pod camera system different than v4?
Any help is appreciated.

My system:
I9 10900K
32GB 3600 RAM
1080 GPU 8 GB
Vive Pro HMD
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Targeting Pod Sample camera control

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Do you have the controllable camera x and y axis mapped in the controls menu? These are no longer named hotas axis.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
corbu1

Post by corbu1 »

Hello,
thank you for your advice.

I‘m refering to the targeting pod from the sdk pdk sample.
I have the targeting pod after setup as guided in the approbiate learning center‘s chapter in v5.1.
I have set it up there as a pop up camera view panel and also implemented in the VC.
To move the camera view in the panel window, I first mapped hotas slew x and y to a jostick as recommended in p3d‘s learning center. This didn‘t work.

Following your advice above, I now tried mapping the controlable camera x and y axis to a joystick for camera view control.
What happened was not moving the targeting pod camera view in the panel window, but my main view of the virtual cockpit is moving according to the mapped joystick moves.

Are there any new settings in the aircraft.cfg‘s view section or int the panel.cfg file which weren‘t necessary with the original hotas slew mapping?
corbu1

Post by corbu1 »

Hello,
Same situation with 5.1HF1.
The Targeting pod PDK sample camera is not working.

When I map a joystick to controlable camera x and y axis, camera view on main VC windows is moving when moving the joystick.
But not the targeting pod PDK sample camera.
Also the Approbiate camera buttons for zoom, changing sensor type do work.

I guess, the targeting pod PDK sample file is still configured for the old hotas slew camera control.
It should be updated to work with the new controlable camera control.

Dear LM team, is there any chance you could be doing this in one of the following updates for P3D?

The targeting pod sample is a great feature in P3d, I‘d really miss in my helicopter sim.

Best of all would be implementing the targeting pod into P3d Core. I believe other simmers do like this feature, too.
Could this be Done? That would be so amazing!!!!
navymustang

Post by navymustang »

Actually it is more confusing than ever.

I have a development PC that has v5.1 with the targeting pod on it, and my actual simulator that also has v5.1 with the exact same files related to the targeting pod.

The development PC drives the targeting pod slew and sensor selection perfectly as defined in the joystick and button assignments in teh SDK.

However, my actual simulator PC (same exact setup, does not work. Figure that one out.